Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The 'eating out in Wales' thread...

just went to Portos on St Mary St a couple of nights ago and its overpriced middle of the road food. Not recomended.

we went to the red dragon centre to the 'mediteranean' restaurant where they do a help yourself buffet meal. It was everything from curries to thai and salad most odd
It wasnt great. Im told the two similar restaurants next door are worth a visit though, particularly the chinese place on the corner. am yet to try it though

A group of us are looking to go for a walk in the hills north of Cardiff (possibly around Garth Mountain, possibly further east eg Cefn-Onn/Rudry) in a couple of weeks time. Can anyone recommend a good pub for lunch? Ideally we'd like to be able to do the walk by public transport. Or if anyone has any other suggestions for a good walk with a pub that's not too difficult to get to. (Not the Plough and Harrow - we're looking for some hills).
Dunno if it's too late or not, mate, but the Gwaelod in Gwaelod Y Garth on the Garth hill is a damned fine eating pub. Good beer and good restaurant on the side of the pub and upstairs from the bar.
http://www.bestpubs.co.uk/layout0.asp?pub=141581

no but eard that they do choclate samosas! :cool::hmm:

choco.jpg

Anybody been to Mint and Mustard yet?
Yeah, I went. I'm not overwhelmed by the place. Overall there was some decent food but it's too expensive and the service is fussy and in-your-face, with waiters hovering over you the whole time (one of them even tried to persuade my mate to eat something else on the menu because he thought it was a better choice, and argued back when he said he didn't want it).
I went for the non-veg taster menu, which reads like a dream on the website (which is quite a cool site). But in reality it fails to live up to the promise.
The best thing about the starters are the little chaat balls (but the chaat is far better at VFS). The smoked chicken and minced lamb thing are ordinary, and a the lamb is even a bit bland. Very small portion, too. Really is just a taste.
The mains lacked seasoning, and more worryingly, they lacked spices and chilli-warmth. Part of the fun of Indian celebration food is it being hot, for me. The one chilli, two chilli, measurement system on the menu is just not reliable - all the dishes we had on our table were quite bland. And again, the portions were really measly. The prawn in coconut sauce was pretty good - nice creamy sauce and well-cooked prawns, but the lamb dish was really boring, as was the chicken.
The signature Goan fish curry was a dissapointment because the fish was so over-cooked and tough (not sure what the fish was, but it tasted like over-done tuna, and was unappetisingly grey). The sauce was quite nice, though, to be fair.
The chocolate Samosa was BY FAR the best thing on the menu - the chocolate was REALLY good quality, as was the (home made?) ice cream that came with it.
But I won't be going back there. The Vegetarian Food Studio is far superior in terms of the quality of the food, in my book, and you don't have to put up with up-themselves waiters who won't let you pour your own beer into a glass without wrestling it from you and looking at you disaprovingly :)Deek: Yes, that actually happened).

OK - lets be having your thoughts on restaurants/take-aways/general chow-downs that you've experienced recently in the 'diff (or its general environs), or even in other places in Wales, for that matter..

Anything food-related goes - recommendations, reviews, warnings or whinings - scribblings about cheap chips or paradisical pizzas, posh nosh or inexpensive gems - whatever you feel would be useful to your fellow Wales forumite gastronomes.

:)

There is a small chip shop in Waunfawr , Snowdonia which does excellent fish and chips. Its just opposite the bus stop.;)

OK - lets be having your thoughts on restaurants/take-aways/general chow-downs that you've experienced recently in the 'diff (or its general environs), or even in other places in Wales, for that matter..

Anything food-related goes - recommendations, reviews, warnings or whinings - scribblings about cheap chips or paradisical pizzas, posh nosh or inexpensive gems - whatever you feel would be useful to your fellow Wales forumite gastronomes.

:)
half and half
machotrout.jpg

Very few left

Over the years have dine out at many fine restaurants, alas many have closed their doors,like the roman embassy home of the best fillet steak in Cardiff The lanterns, The highwayman nr rhoose when will had it, many many more that I would dine in, 2 or 3 times a week but the price were too high not for the wonderful food and service. The cost to my heatlh all that great living gave me heart probelms so no more. MY TIP any restaurant make friends with staff and owners, Then you will allways have the best on offer:):):):)

Seren, Canton. Nice Turkish brub. Can't fault it. Good price, nice food, great vibe. I try and get there once a month. Opposite Tesco Metro. I believe it used to be the old Vancouver or some such.

I recommend it.

Seren, Canton. Nice Turkish brub. Can't fault it. Good price, nice food, great vibe. I try and get there once a month. Opposite Tesco Metro. I believe it used to be the old Vancouver or some such.

I recommend it.

It's gorgeous - I second that recommendation

Another repeat vote from me for Bar Mimosa down the bay. Had a celebration dinner there last night, and once again, it was excellent. Food was delicious, from the simple bread/oil/vinegar starter (with the most mouth-watering balsamic I've ever tasted - they must have reduced it, it had the consistency of double cream, mmmmm), along with goat's cheese/hazlenut/salad starter (best creamy goat's cheese ever), then to sea bass for her and ricotta cannelloni for me (a bit of a cliche by name, but the dish was delicious and brought surprises to a potentially hackneyed recipe). Only less than gorgeous aspect was the bottle of French white, "La Cote Flamenc Picpoul de Pinet" - totally inoffensive, but nothing to recommend it at all.

http://www.mimosakitchen.co.uk/

Another repeat vote from me for Bar Mimosa down the bay. Had a celebration dinner there last night, and once again, it was excellent. Food was delicious, from the simple bread/oil/vinegar starter (with the most mouth-watering balsamic I've ever tasted - they must have reduced it, it had the consistency of double cream, mmmmm), along with goat's cheese/hazlenut/salad starter (best creamy goat's cheese ever), then to sea bass for her and ricotta cannelloni for me (a bit of a cliche by name, but the dish was delicious and brought surprises to a potentially hackneyed recipe). Only less than gorgeous aspect was the bottle of French white, "La Cote Flamenc Picpoul de Pinet" - totally inoffensive, but nothing to recommend it at all.

ai, the risotto i had in there was lush, nice place as well.
was it a getting the job celebration??? :hmm:

hope so and if so yipeee, congrats :)

Is that the place Ioan Gruffudd has a hand in?

I'll second that recommendation - been there a coupla times inthe last year and was impressedby their good, simple, locally sourced food. There's a pasta starter that they do (Vincingrassi, I think it's called) that's particularly great. Nice cocktails, too.

Taking the thread downmarket for a second, I can recommend Fish Tram Chips in Llandudno.

Very nice, albeit not as nice as the twenty minute wait, huge queue outside and ticket system (ie: "wait for your number to be called out") would suggest. But you do get to watch a tram arrive and depart while you wait.

Seren in Canton is really good for veggies and vegans. Lovely dolmades, baba ganoush type starters and they do a lovely aubergine stew type main dish. Really nice staff as well. Great place.
The Olive Branch in Aberystwyth is a really nice place as well and great for veggies.

Just came back from Bala, setting up for Eisteddfod, and the White Lion does excellent, good value, pub grub. Veggie lasagne highly recommended. And Sospan Fach is also great during the daytime, and even cheaper.

In Dolgellau we discovered T.H. Roberts tearoom, round the corner from the tourist office. Went there for wifi, and got fabulous scones straight out of the oven, with excellent coffee and an AMAZING place - an old hardware store that hasn't been touched. Huge dark wood counter, and we got prize spot in the "snug" - what must have been previously the manager's office. Wicked!

I made the mistake of eating at harry ramsdens in the bay - what a pile of shit. Terrible service (and im as patient as they come with service) and the worse fish and chips ive tasted for a looooooong time. The chips must have been lying around for a week. All for £8.50! Never again.
Also is it me or is everywhere understaffed in cardiff at the mo? I seem to spend my life waiting for food as some poor sod runs themselves into the ground trying to do the job of three people.

Fry-up in Dolgellau - ace. I'm gluten-free so fried breakfast is more leave it than take it for me, but the lady in the caff was happy to give me an extra egg instead of the toast and sausage. Can't remember the name of the place but once you're into the one-way system in the centre of town, it's the next one down from the square (and the turning for Cadair Idris), keeping left.

Best veggie breakfast ever was had in Machynlleth, heading out of town on the other side of the road from the carpark posted Cantref Dwfi.

Astonishingly good omelette at the Llew Coch in Dinas Mawddwy.

A woman of simple tastes.

I can recommend the Grove in Narberth, having been there for a birthday meal last Monday. Very friendly, small, nice, excellent food.

http://www.thegrove-narberth.co.uk/

You don't have to stay in the "Luxury Boutique Hotel" to eat there, though I imagine that's probably quite nice too. And they do apparently have somewhere you can land a helicopter if you don't fancy the maze of twisty West Welsh roads, all alike, to get there...

Back
Top Bottom