Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The 'eating out in Wales' thread...

We're gonna be using some Xmas vouchers we got to go and have a slap up taster menu meal at the Crown at Whitbrook - one of the few Michelin starred places we've got in Wales. Looking forward to it - especially as it's a gift and it won't be our money we'll be spending!
It looks pretty pricey. But good: http://tinyurl.com/6yym7mt

I can highly recommend the new(ish) Patti Raj in Swansea. Wow...best curry place I've been to.

Also loving the Meridian in the Marina where you get to cook your piece of meat/fish on a piece of volcanic hot rock. Service fabulous, food gorgeous and decor lovely.

And an amaazing place for a Sunday roast is the Porterhouse in Loughor. WOW :)

La Fosse is where I usually have lunch if in Cardiff when shopping ........ Shank of lamb ....well slow cooked .....The duck is very good there too.... 2 course for a tenner ....Usually packed out with the over 60's hefty pensions club caning back wine as soon as the doors open at 12 ..never been there in the evening, but apparently the prices double .
Ive never had a duff meal there

Been to Giovannis once ...but it was years ago ..never been back

Usual haunt for evenings is the Fwrrwm Ishta Inn, Machen ....Its a carvery .... but a bloody good one ..Sunday roasts are well good for a lazy afternoon
http://www.fwrrwmishta.co.uk/menus.php

well? how was it?

It was wicked. I preferred herself's starter to mine, a smoked halibut arrangement similar in concept to smoked salmon, with a nice gooey egg and mustard-cress salad. I had Venison Agnolotto, sort of like a huge Tortelloni with mashed venison, reminiscent of corned-beef pie filling. I liked it, but didn't fall in love. For mains we both went steak, hers medium, mine rare. Stunning. Dessert, Pear Frangipane for herself, Orange and Ginger Creme Brulee for me. That was the best dessert I've had. I was very pleased. We'll pick a time to go back in future based on what the lady likes as per the seasonal menu, as she struggled to pick a starter she'd enjoy. Sad really, but the rest was marvellous. Oh, and having booked, they'd managed to lose my reservation. Fuckers :D.

It was wicked. I preferred herself's starter to mine, a smoked halibut arrangement similar in concept to smoked salmon, with a nice gooey egg and mustard-cress salad. I had Venison Agnolotto, sort of like a huge Tortelloni with mashed venison, reminiscent of corned-beef pie filling. I liked it, but didn't fall in love. For mains we both went steak, hers medium, mine rare. Stunning. Dessert, Pear Frangipane for herself, Orange and Ginger Creme Brulee for me. That was the best dessert I've had. I was very pleased. We'll pick a time to go back in future based on what the lady likes as per the seasonal menu, as she struggled to pick a starter she'd enjoy. Sad really, but the rest was marvellous. Oh, and having booked, they'd managed to lose my reservation. Fuckers :D.

sounds great.i bet that starter was lovely.

Been to CN in City Road now maybe five times. Very good, extensive menu. But beware of what you order, as you'll get loads of it, and it is exactly what it says in the tin! For example, ordered the cold duck tongues in sweet chile sauce with a mate, and we got a platter with around 100 duck tongues in it with chile sauce and a few sprigs of coriander. I think that around 20 tongues each would have been more than enough! On the other hand, when you find your way through the menu some of the stuff is really good (seafood, crispy pork fillet, jellyfish, etc.). Also, when they say hot they mean hot.

Been to CN in City Road now maybe five times. Very good, extensive menu. But beware of what you order, as you'll get loads of it, and it is exactly what it says in the tin! For example, ordered the cold duck tongues in sweet chile sauce with a mate, and we got a platter with around 100 duck tongues in it with chile sauce and a few sprigs of coriander. I think that around 20 tongues each would have been more than enough! On the other hand, when you find your way through the menu some of the stuff is really good (seafood, crispy pork fillet, jellyfish, etc.). Also, when they say hot they mean hot.

i love the sound of this place.

Had a great meal in Bully's (Romilly Crescent) on Friday. First visit and very much enjoyed the vibe of the place - apart from some annoying media luvvies on the table opposite (!).

Food was great - snail and mushroom fricassee to start, with whiting and banana shallots to follow.

Top stuff.

Looking forward to checking out Oscar's (on the site of Le Gallois) shortly - menu looks very inviting.

Had a great meal in Bully's (Romilly Crescent) on Friday. First visit and very much enjoyed the vibe of the place - apart from some annoying media luvvies on the table opposite (!).

Food was great - snail and mushroom fricassee to start, with whiting and banana shallots to follow.

Top stuff.

Looking forward to checking out Oscar's (on the site of Le Gallois) shortly - menu looks very inviting.

bullys is my fav place in cardiff. it's great.

bloody Juno lounge on wellfield rd
takes 10-15mins to get a drink and then your food is cold when you get back
very limited vegi options and i got a bit of plastic in my curry last night! a 'open here' tab from a plastic container, bloody sharp it was!, lucky i didn't swallow it.
fair play to the waitress tho, very apologetic and went to change it straight away, also got me a drink whilst i was waiting.
there are some right clueless customers in there with no regard for their fellow people tho :mad: and they really really need to sort out the bar wait times.

I really like the juno but it always feels like it could be better than it is, we've had a few not so great experiences with food there and I often think their bar staff are more style over substance!

someone tried to tempt me in here yesterday but got a takeaway menu instead
can some please tell what the fuck "Water Swamp Morning-Glory with Bean Curd" is???? :eek: :hmm:
what a name for food!

I recon it's as it says. I know Morning Glory leaves are used for cooking in the far east, so guess it's a flavoursome water swamp version with some sort of tofu malarky

can some please tell what the fuck "Water Swamp Morning-Glory with Bean Curd" is???? :eek: :hmm:
what a name for food!

I've not tried that yet because it's a bit lower down my list of priorities, but I'm well curious indeed! If it has a justification for the name it is probably one of the most bizarre dishes served in the whole of Wales!

La Fosse is where I usually have lunch if in Cardiff when shopping

my mum always reckons its good there too.

I went to Cosmo, the pan-asian buffet barn-of-a-place in the bay. For £12 you can have a really lovely series of things there, lobster, sushi - and loads of chinese, indian, etc standards. 6 quid in the week, but thats just regular takeaway type food.

Back
Top Bottom