Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The dog thread is better than the cat thread, because it features dogs.

20240402_113727.jpg
I'm home and back with my Cassie dog. I've been away for almost 5 weeks and although my husband brought her down to me for a weekend, I've really noticed how she's slowing down. Some night she can't be arsed to climb the stairs to come to bed now. She does tend to burst in at about 5am and harrumph a bit though.

Larry is getting on a bit these days and he has developed what might be a bit of a phobia about going up stairs. When he comes to me he stands at the bottom of my stairs and barks at me while I make encouraging noises - come on Larry you can do it - only yesterday you came up these very stairs - taps on leg - up you come - come on buddy - I know you can do it, eventually he just comes up the stairs with no hesitation one foot in front of the other, easy peasy.

We don't really know what is going on.

Larry is getting on a bit these days and he has developed what might be a bit of a phobia about going up stairs. When he comes to me he stands at the bottom of my stairs and barks at me while I make encouraging noises - come on Larry you can do it - only yesterday you came up these very stairs - taps on leg - up you come - come on buddy - I know you can do it, eventually he just comes up the stairs with no hesitation one foot in front of the other, easy peasy.

We don't really know what is going on.
Sounds like he might have a back problem or some arthritis.

When cosmo got old she had problems (fell) coming downstairs which eventually explained her reluctance to go upstairs.

yes, while it seems strange, going down stairs can be more difficult for people with mobility problems, as you're trying to hold back against gravity - i guess it's similar for dogs.

friend of mine (both she and doggy are no longer with us) found things difficult when her then doggy was getting old and infirm (friend was about five foot nothing, doggy was a fairly well built black labrador)

we didn't quite get to the stage of doing this

Sounds like he might have a back problem or some arthritis.
I suppose it could be. We went for a walk today in some fields that we know well and he definitely prefers to potter about these days, there was no chasing things. We are both getting on a bit so perhaps just not as fit as we once were.

Playing fetch in the park earlier. It's funny. She never just goes for a swim, but does stand by the waters edge with her stick waiting for me to throw it.

View attachment 418972
Our spaniel we had when I was young was a bit like that, wasn’t interested in swimming, would have a paddle, and didn’t go for a stick at all until one day when he was 5 or 6, I taught him to do it in a lake in Wales, and he loved it.

After that he’d do it in water, but rarely on land and Crafnant remained a favourite place for the stick trick.

Our spaniel we had when I was young was a bit like that, wasn’t interested in swimming, would have a paddle, and didn’t go for a stick at all until one day when he was 5 or 6, I taught him to do it in a lake in Wales, and he loved it.

After that he’d do it in water, but rarely on land and Crafnant remained a favourite place for the stick trick.

Oh goodness, I've tried to encourage her to swim with us, when we've been on the beach or out in the canoe in the lakes and she always just swims to the shore and watches us. The half collie side means she's obsessed with sticks and balls. She litterally spins around in circles when your holding one.

Crafnant is beautiful, isn't it? When i used to go over to North Wales for work I'd stay in a super cheap bunkhouse in Capel Curig and run over to there and the surrounding hills after I'd finished. Some really happy memories.

Oh goodness, I've tried to encourage her to swim with us, when we've been on the beach or out in the canoe in the lakes and she always just swims to the shore and watches us. The half collie side means she's obsessed with sticks and balls. She litterally spins around in circles when your holding one.
Our one was scared of open and running water, so a lake or pond was ideal as it was still and the shore was visible. He didn’t go out very far in a lake, we were always concerned his heart could go (Cavalier kc spaniel)
Crafnant is beautiful, isn't it? When i used to go over to North Wales for work I'd stay in a super cheap bunkhouse in Capel Curig and run over to there and the surrounding hills after I'd finished. Some really happy memories.

I must have walked round there fifty times or so over the years, sometimes going over the top to Geirionydd too. One of my favourite places in the world

We got our old dog, Treacle, to swim in the sea for the first time when she was about 6 by throwing a stick for her at Seaton.
Lovely memories :)

Oh I made a friend today. In my last job it was quite common to meet nice dogs in offices, but it was the first time working for the NHS.

one place i worked a few years ago, one colleague would occasionally bring one of her dogs to the office, but it had to be when one particular colleague was on holiday or something (i can't remember if other colleague had an allergy or just afraid of dogs) but it tended to result in a queue to make a fuss of doggy

Back
Top Bottom