Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Death of the Left

Not engaged with these authors so I dunno what their arguments are, but I have a fair amount of sympathy for Joe Burns' description of "labo(u)r liberalism", as a politics where unions talk left on "culture war" issues while retreating from organising and fighting for their members in the workplace? He's talking about US unions but I think the phenomenon's recognisable here.
fair enough but trade unions werent once mentioned as the problem in the podcast - villains of the "cultural" left were named as teenagers/young people and the guardian lol.... maybe its not worth talking about the podcast as the argument set out was really poor IMO.

fair enough but trade unions werent once mentioned as the problem in the podcast - villains of the "cultural" left were named as teenagers/young people and the guardian lol.... maybe its not worth talking about the podcast as the argument set out was really poor IMO.

The 'cultural left' probably spend their time messing around doing things like PhDs on minority ethnic groups in American Literature. :p

To get these academic jobs paying £70k a year?

Well maybe one day...

Honestly that was a bit of a throwaway comment but if you're insisting on going on about it - University payscales are nationally negotiated for most staff and are on a payscale that tops out at around £70k. Those are standard across all universities (except a few private ones). Professorial scales vary by institution but are going to start around that point in most places and anyone who has been a professor for a number of years will be making more than that - not as much at Teeside as they would at Imperial, say, but £70k was still a conservative estimate. The point isn't that everyone in academia earns that but it is that Professor is a senior and well paid position. Pointing to a PhD student who does a bit of teaching and going 'well she doesn't make that' is a bit like pointing to what a shelf stacker gets paid if someone says Tesco management get paid well.

I mean I've already said I don't think it invalidates their points but they will clearly be getting paid well.

Last edited:
I could only bare twenty minutes of that podcast. It’s not helped by the interviewer being rubbish and seemingly quite ignorant of the background.

But even if he were better I doubt I’d still be any clearer as to why this book is meant to be interesting, when it’s just statist blue Labour crap. Their history is woeful, there were various contradictions they came out with in the very same sentence. And that’s before they started talking bollocks about MMT (I didn’t get to that but, but anyone cheering for it always talks bollocks).

They even bemoaned the loss of ‘proper politicians’ like Harold MacMillan, ffs.

Back
Top Bottom