Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Cycling Chat Thread

Has anyone cracked the issue of indoor bike storage? Mine was living in my hallway when I didn't need to get into the spare room. Now I've done the spare room up as a work room it's living in there which isn't ideal.

It's not the sort of light thing you can easily lift onto a wall hanger. I don't think my ancient plaster would take the strain either.

I had a nice little alcove in one of the tunnels at the back of the house which was perfect height for hanging the road bike from the front wheel, you could get three bikes in there side by side, and at about 400 deep it stopped them poking too far into the room. However we had the whole back part tanked out last year which took about 100 off the floor which means it doesn’t work as well now, and I might have to take the wheel off once I get it back in use.

i used some cheap hangers I found on eBay, through some stupid deal it was cheaper to buy five than two. This sort of thing:

I had them attached to the top of the alcove with bike hanging down, but they’re supposed to be installed vertically.

Has anyone cracked the issue of indoor bike storage? Mine was living in my hallway when I didn't need to get into the spare room. Now I've done the spare room up as a work room it's living in there which isn't ideal.

It's not the sort of light thing you can easily lift onto a wall hanger. I don't think my ancient plaster would take the strain either.
Two mountain bikes in a cupboard in the living room. Another mountain bike, a commuter and a BMX stacked together in the living room. Road bike in the bedroom. HTH :D

We have another five outside, under shelter of the walkway above which just about keeps the rain off them. Only one currently working but two of them only need punctures fixing, including my current pub bike.

Any recommendations for winter gloves? Any recommended brands?

if your out all day these things may look like camofluaged oven gloves but keep your hands dry. Unlike altura waterproof gloves that lasted 2 hours

I'd love to ride in a critical mass event. Must be a good atmosphere.
Come to this event, it should be really big and there's an after party for riders.

Come to this event, it should be really big and there's an after party for riders.

Thanks, but I've just left the UK again. Looks great, should be quality day out.

User name checks out. :)

(Tempted to go to my first cm)

We used to store 6 in a one bed flat. These are really good, you can set the bottom one so there’s not much lifting to do.

IMG_0420.jpeg

I keep mine in the corridor, not ideal but better than in the ground floor garage where it’ll get nicked. I used to keep it at the bottom of the bed in my tiny flat in London, which I was fine with but others might not be

User name checks out. :)

(Tempted to go to my first cm)

I've been to a couple over the years but could be up for this.

We could have an Urban 75 cadre. :D

Thinking about signing up for Ride London Essex 60 in May. Anyone else done it?
Yes , i've done the Surrey route twice and the inaugural Essex one.
The current route is fairly flat and safer than the Surrey route. The finish line is tower bridge which isn't quite as grand as The Mall. You did feel grand cornering into Admiralty Arch at the end.
If you never done a closed road sportive it's super fun.

Yes , i've done the Surrey route twice and the inaugural Essex one.
The current route is fairly flat and safer than the Surrey route. The finish line is tower bridge which isn't quite as grand as The Mall. You did feel grand cornering into Admiralty Arch at the end.
If you never done a closed road sportive it's super fun.

Nice one thank you.

Yes I’m liking the flat aspect of it after London to Brighton last September. :D

I saw a comment elsewhere that the queues to get started are really long. Did you experience that?

If anyone is thinking it's a bit cold to ride your bike, my Canadian friend has just posted a picture of herself in full ski kit with the caption 'getting groceries by bicycle in -37'. Apparently the bike was very hard to pedal because the grease in the bearings was freezing :D

apologies if this has been asked / answered before....

I got a new mountain bike about 6months ago , and I have disk brakes for the first time. Had to get the pads replaced at the weekend. Is that normal? I thought it would last longer than that ....
For ref: I am using bike to commute and round trip is 20 miles , and do that 4 times a week . normal city traffic. not high speed and not hard on the brakes imho . maybe the pads that came with the bike wernt high quality?

looked up google and it says there are 3 types of pads: syntered, organic, and semi-metal . Anyone got strong feelings which are the best (for me: see above)?

If anyone is thinking it's a bit cold to ride your bike, my Canadian friend has just posted a picture of herself in full ski kit with the caption 'getting groceries by bicycle in -37'. Apparently the bike was very hard to pedal because the grease in the bearings was freezing :D

I did an 83km loop in the hills this morning. Stopped for water 4 times and drank 7.5L in total. Feel fucking awful now.

1708345833792.png

I got a new mountain bike about 6months ago , and I have disk brakes for the first time. Had to get the pads replaced at the weekend. Is that normal? I thought it would last longer than that ....
For ref: I am using bike to commute and round trip is 20 miles , and do that 4 times a week . normal city traffic. not high speed and not hard on the brakes imho . maybe the pads that came with the bike wernt high quality?

looked up google and it says there are 3 types of pads: syntered, organic, and semi-metal . Anyone got strong feelings which are the best (for me: see above)?

You are lucky they lasted that long in the winter. Sintered pads for a commuter. Don't get any oil or grease on them.

There is very little meat on cycle disc pads. I am dubious of disc brakes on cycles generally.

Back
Top Bottom