Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Cycling Chat Thread

You are lucky they lasted that long in the winter. Sintered pads for a commuter. Don't get any oil or grease on them.
....ah..... yes, I did spray oil a bit to liberally one time and it got into the pads. got a hell of a fright first time i pulled the brakes afterward! Saw a youtube vig on how to clean them so tried that. it improved a bit. I think the whole episode reduced their longevity.

had forgotten the whole episode ... will be careful with current ones!

On my third set of pads after 4000km of off-road riding with a heavy bike and heavy rider, so would guess that quality varies, mine are Shimano.
I think the quality on the ones that came with the bike mightnt be the best. The tubes & tyres def wernt! I think I have a good set now. Watch this space!!

thx folks

6 months for a set of pads with 80 miles a week of commuting is perfectly reasonable. Sintered pads will last longer but they don't stop as well, they're more expensive and they squeal. Not worth it imo but your mileage may vary. If it's a heavy bike or you are a heavy rider they will wear faster generally. We change disc pads for the Zoom/Deliveroo guys every couple of months sometimes. This compares well with rim brakes though because disc rotors are much cheaper to replace than wheel rims.

Thankfully the front tyre and just a teeny pinprick and I was carrying a decent pump and I managed the last 3 miles with just two stops...

I thought they were suss when they arrived folded - the old version was rigid as hell and I felt no guilt giving them away to others when there was no visible tread left.
A completely different kettle of fish to the Continental Country Plus tyres I once bought 3 of for £33 - they even used to supply free inner tubes ... these are between £18 and £22 each ...

shittytyre.jpg 1708599606170.jpeg

Cycle clothing:

I want a high viz jacket/coat to wear.
Not much I can see with a breathable membrane. Wild price differences.

I need a steer.

Where to get good clothing for a reasonable price?

Cycle clothing:

I want a high viz jacket/coat to wear.
Not much I can see with a breathable membrane. Wild price differences.

I need a steer.

Where to get good clothing for a reasonable price?

I have an older version of this and it’s fantastic.

Many thanks. Got it for £72.

I’ve given up on jackets tbh. Cycle fashion is mostly hideous - there’s no getting around the fact that it seems to be impossible to make safe, warm, comfortable clothing look appealing to look at and wear.
At the moment, I can’t find anything that I like, so just making sure I have a lot of lights instead and that my clothing is brightly coloured, if not reflective or waterproof enough.

I've been looking for one of these as well, a timely question. Also found for £72. Thanks both.

I’ve given up on jackets tbh. Cycle fashion is mostly hideous - there’s no getting around the fact that it seems to be impossible to make safe, warm, comfortable clothing look appealing to look at and wear.
At the moment, I can’t find anything that I like, so just making sure I have a lot of lights instead and that my clothing is brightly coloured, if not reflective or waterproof enough.
I like high viz. I really like it when on two wheels. I love it at night on two wheels. Lurve.

Many thanks. Got it for £72.

So for some reason my order didn't go through and I had to order again. It's £24 now! Don't know if you have yours already TC but might be worth ordering another and returning the £72 one!

So for some reason my order didn't go through and I had to order again. It's £24 now! Don't know if you have yours already TC but might be worth ordering another and returning the £72 one!

I hate returning stuff but this is a pisser.

I was just coming on here to post that! My £24 one from Chain Reaction arrived today and is very good. Just tested it in a downpour.

My chain keeps coming off. Looks like it’s been stretched or summat. May have to go to work on bike 2 tomorrow but it’s heavy and i’ll be tired.
Also nearly got taken out by an Audi on the way home from work this evening. I was going downhill and the prick pulled out in front of me on a mini-roundabout despite being lit up like a Christmas council house. But despite the fact that I was on the roundabout already and was clearly visible, they still pulled out and I almost went over the bonnet. It was a good job I had slowed down to cross the junction, as it’s tempting to whizz across as it’s at the beginning of a steep downhill that’s fun to freewheel down in good conditions.

The multi tool from Lidl is the best quality I have seen at any price. The stand surprised me with its quality construction. I have just set up my gears and it’s really good to not be crouched down or kneeling.

The tool kit is a total bargain.

I found a good place for the air tag.

My gf is ripping the piss a bit regarding me in Lycra shorts.

This was not hard in the end. I paid someone to go post office for a fiver.

A good spot everyone on the £24 jacket
I managed to nab one .
Tried to get another for the mrs, but they had no sizes.
And when I look today, the whole Wiggle site is now gone

I spend about £300 on the final days of Wiggle... Got sketchy when the site went down whilst I was still waiting for stuff so I couldn't get tracking but it all turned up in the end.

Highlights are the £250 Castelli perfetto RoS 2 jacket for £70, few new bibs and tops for £10-15each, spare cartridges for my dropper post at £2 each can sit in the spares box and a shit load of dirt cheap nutrition/hydration stuff - 40 tubes of the high5 electrolyte tabs you add to water (which usually drink rather than water) for the equivalent of under £2.50/tube and several boxes of Beelite energy gels for £5 for 20...

Back
Top Bottom