Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brompton folding cycles

When I was using mine regularly kept it folded up indoors at home but at work we had a dedicated cycle shed ( that was actually pretty cool) that took c200 bikes on those double level racks. This was inside a secure perimeter. I used to leave my unfolded Brompton there rather than take it up in the lift and have it kicking round my desk. I locked it up with the same lock I used on the train. 90% of people didn’t lock their bikes, relying on the building security. There were never reports of bikes getting nicked, and I figured with than many unlocked bikes, some wort far far more than my Brompton, any thieves would go for the easier pickings.

I looked at cycle insurance and I’m holding back. Big excesses, long list of exclusions. History of avoiding payouts.

I got a Datatag system and fitted it and importantly registered it. Multiple UV etching of serial numbers. Tamper proof stickers. Microdot imbedded clear paint used all over. Registered it on BikeRegister as well.

Oh and have an apple tile on its way for it.

As for the bike I still have not ridden it. Too shiny for this weather. :)

Last edited:
As long as the bike can be secured both ends then I see no reason for insurance. If you’re chaining it to a random rail on a random street to wander off randomly then that’s a different proposition.

I like the idea of having a ‘pub bike’. Love my Brompton but have often thought about selling it because of the impracticality of it (not ever being able to lock it up and not worry about it). Just can’t bring myself to sell it, though, I like riding it too much, even though I don’t ride it enough.

When I was using mine regularly kept it folded up indoors at home but at work we had a dedicated cycle shed ( that was actually pretty cool) that took c200 bikes on those double level racks. This was inside a secure perimeter. I used to leave my unfolded Brompton there rather than take it up in the lift and have it kicking round my desk. I locked it up with the same lock I used on the train. 90% of people didn’t lock their bikes, relying on the building security. There were never reports of bikes getting nicked, and I figured with than many unlocked bikes, some wort far far more than my Brompton, any thieves would go for the easier pickings.

Where was this again? Asking for a friend.

I like the idea of having a ‘pub bike’.

I bought a £50 pub bike off a colleague, about ten years ago, a very old Peugeot racer.

At the time I was riding a Cannondale BadBoy hybrid all over the place. Within a month I'd ditched the Cannondale altogether - sold it - and still have the pub bike as my only bike (other than a BMX) for my 16km a day commute.

The bike shed I bought cost six times what the bike did 😂

I like the idea of having a ‘pub bike’. Love my Brompton but have often thought about selling it because of the impracticality of it (not ever being able to lock it up and not worry about it). Just can’t bring myself to sell it, though, I like riding it too much, even though I don’t ride it enough.
Long time Skim!

Out of interest what type of handlebars have you all gone for? Low or Mid?

I quite fancy one... but hard to justify really!

I finally got a proper pump and got 80 PSI in the tyres and took it out for the first time.
I found it great. Everything works really well and for a really tall person the ergonomics were very good. I won’t totally extend my leg but hey.

Back
Top Bottom