Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Cycling Chat Thread

Doing this a week on Sunday, first competitive cycling event I've done-although just riding for fun.

I've always ridden bikes casually for fun but since getting a gravel bike and getting into group rides I'm getting really into it.

Just agreed to bikepack from Plymouth to Minehead (and onto Taunton for the train) over Exmoor and Dartmoor with a mate in the summer so getting pretty hyped for that...

Question.

We have to change Mini Fire's front sprocket (again!).

I've been buying the cheap ones as we keep having to go up and down like a fiddlers elbow depending on who was the last coach we spoke to...driving me mental tbh.

Anyhoo. Today someone said we should be getting a sprocket to match the make of the bike (Stay Strong).

My argument is there will be no material difference other than a slight difference in weight*, am I wrong?

Cheap and cheerful:

Branded:

Thank you all for your attention in this difficult time.

*eta: slight difference in weight is actually huge.

Every bike uses a 12.7mm pitch chain and you're not going to wear a sprocket out on a BMX so get whatever you want. (Some velodrome bikes use 10mm)

Battle on the beach was hellish conditions but so much fun (apart from the return leg on the beach with 60kph headwind- really showed my lack of group riding experience by riding it solo and not tucking into an echalon/peloton.

Placed 472 out of 1300 -odd entrants although only about 800 finishers- not sure how many DNF and how many didn't turn up but still not bad for my first ever bike race at the age of 41!

Can't wait for next years now!!!

1712653880277.png

1712653920686.png

1712653939859.png

my bikes off the road Halfords are fixing it as apprantly the brake sensors are broken apprantly they were surprised it was 7 months old as I quote it was quite "grotty"😒. Oppos it's used every day for 6mile commutes on the plus side won £50 of sigma sports vouchers!

I got given three cycles by my dad. He is pushing eighty and doesn’t have the balance any more.

I collected yesterday. One Trek mountain bike in good nick. I’m keeping it for myself. Another mountain bike, fairly generic, this is going to bikes for refugees.

The last one is a French road bike. Interesting. Mavic wheels that are rizla thin. Steel frame but oh so light.

Must be forty plus years old. Brakes are wrong way around. Going to refurbish this one. Thinking it might be good for London to Brighton. Be nice to get it going and use it for that. Dad would be proud.

Pics when cleaning done.

Bought an ultrasonic cleaner to assist in refurbing the road bike. Plus I just wanted one. Should do cassettes and chain perfectly.

I got given three cycles by my dad. He is pushing eighty and doesn’t have the balance any more.

I collected yesterday. One Trek mountain bike in good nick. I’m keeping it for myself. Another mountain bike, fairly generic, this is going to bikes for refugees.

The last one is a French road bike. Interesting. Mavic wheels that are rizla thin. Steel frame but oh so light.

Must be forty plus years old. Brakes are wrong way around. Going to refurbish this one. Thinking it might be good for London to Brighton. Be nice to get it going and use it for that. Dad would be proud.

Pics when cleaning done.
Be aware that some old French road bikes have a number of obscure specific things about the frames that can get you in bother if you have to replace them (bottom bracket threads, headset threads, seatpost size). Hopefully you can just clean/service everything.

Be aware that some old French road bikes have a number of obscure specific things about the frames that can get you in bother if you have to replace them (bottom bracket threads, headset threads, seatpost size). Hopefully you can just clean/service everything.
That’s the plan. Clean, grease, adjust. :)

My bike was making weird clunking noises this morning, so took it into a local bike shop... Also asked for a general service.

They called me to say it was going to cost £270 to put things right. Didn't catch it all... But needs a new chainset and bearings or summat. Also some other stuff. Only had it a year!

My bike was making weird clunking noises this morning, so took it into a local bike shop... Also asked for a general service.

They called me to say it was going to cost £270 to put things right. Didn't catch it all... But needs a new chainset and bearings or summat. Also some other stuff. Only had it a year!
What make and model of cycle? A year sounds not good. Did you regularly clean the sprockets and chain may I ask?

Really struggling to get this fucking Schwalbe Marathon on. Been at it sporadically for hours and just cannot get that last bit over the rim. My thumbs are throbbing and I want to smash things. Any tips?
IMG_2121.jpeg

Cable tie the tyre on as you go. Stop it popping off again. Then lever the last bit.
I doubt i can use a lever. Too tight. Can normally only use them to get the tyre off the wheel, not onto it.
I might have some cable ties knocking around. The shoelace is not up to the job, that’s for sure!

Really struggling to get this fucking Schwalbe Marathon on. Been at it sporadically for hours and just cannot get that last bit over the rim. My thumbs are throbbing and I want to smash things. Any tips?
View attachment 421482
Get one of these (you only need one). Was a revelation.

What make and model of cycle? A year sounds not good. Did you regularly clean the sprockets and chain may I ask?

Whyte Shoreditch.. No - though've been oiling the chain during winter.. The guy did suggest that if I'd had it serviced earlier then some of the cost might have been avoided.

View attachment 421482
A) Ensure rest of tyre is sitting in the middle of the rim
B) put some washing liquid on underside where you're trying to fit it
C) use 2 levers and get a 2nd pair of hands if necessary

View attachment 421482
First of all take the side that you're trying to put on off the rim again. Then take the valve lockring off. Now start putting the bead on at the valve so that you're going to end up with the difficult last bit opposite where the valve is, not right at the valve like you have now. When you get to this hard last bit again, stop and push the valve up into the inside of the tyre to make sure the inner tube isn't stuck between the wheel and the tyre bead at the valve. Then go round the rest of the tyre which is already on the wheel pinching it together between your fingers to make sure that both beads are in the middle channel of the rim all the way round. Then let any last little bit of air out of the tube. All of this will give you just a little bit more slack to play with. Then personally I find it easier to brace my thumbs on the opposite side of the rim and pull the tyre over with my fingers towards myself rather than push it away from me with my thumbs. If all else fails and you still can't get it over buy a plastic tyre jack like this

They really work.

Thanks, I fear that’s all a bit complicated for me.
Might give it a go though. I ordered a Tyre Glider but not sure I can wait til tomorrow for it to arrive :oops:
Anyone used this? A friend recommended it

A lot of people have advised me to use ture levers but I cannot for the life of me work out exactly how you use them to get a tyre onto a wheel. It’s quite enough getting the tyre off a wheel with them, but the doing if the other way round defeats me.

Don't use normal levers to get it on, you'll just pinch the tube and puncture it and be back to square one.

It sounds complicated written down but if I was there to show you it would take 30 seconds and you would go 'oh! That makes so much sense'.

Back
Top Bottom