Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Cycling Chat Thread

Previously I have found this detailed guide to be as clear as mud

or these

Used a hire E-bike to tour Arita (nice porcelain) so that’s two firsts today as I’ve never actually cycled in Japan in the last five visits.

I have to get an e-bike it’s just so much easier and gives your more confidence on the road. Though tbf given UK motorists its probably just fucking more confidence because it’s not the UK do or die road usage

Each to their own and all that, but I just can’t get my head around having headphones/music on whilst riding. Never mind the (arguable/potential) safety aspect, more that one of the reasons I ride is to get away from the rest of life, not to take it with me :D

Almost came a cropper tonight with a guy swerving out in front of me and then turning right as i was overtaking... hadn't checked the road at all, and when I looked back was wearing headphones. He's probably still oblivious that anything happened at all.

Can't believe blocking out one of your main senses - hearing - won't have safety implications for you and others.

Out of interst folks, when you have an 'incident' with another road-user - be it a car, cyclist or whoever, do you bother to argue the toss/exchange pleasantries with them or just cycle on?

I can't really decide which is most effective - just ignoring/blanking someone and riding on, or hanging around to argue the toss with them.

Out of interst folks, when you have an 'incident' with another road-user - be it a car, cyclist or whoever, do you bother to argue the toss/exchange pleasantries with them or just cycle on?

I can't really decide which is most effective - just ignoring/blanking someone and riding on, or hanging around to argue the toss with them.
The best thing to do is to put it beneath you and move off without escalation.

The reality is that the adrenaline will kick in and you will end up shouting and gesticulating at them in order to prove your moral superiority. Nothing will have been resolved and everyone's blood pressure will have been heightened

I argue, I don't think people change behaviour without having it pointed out to them.

I'll make my point calmly if they're calm and get angry if they do, except when they're so angry it's funny 🤷‍♂️

I'm happy to accept an apology, and apologise if I think I got too aggro, mostly 😕

I tend to either swear at em or yell something like ‘I’m sorry about your penis’

A friend of mine has in the past 2 years shown me the error of my ways; cunt cuts you up and unloads a torrent of abuse, smile and wave at them. Having done this a few times I can concur, it pushes their blood pressure off the fucking scale. General bad driving met with a big 👎 also winds the pricks up.

I find Jesus Loves you shuts people up. Either the surprise shuts them up or they think they are facing a religious nutter and flee. It's probably blasphamy as well so that's a plus point:D

I find Jesus Loves you shuts people up. Either the surprise shuts them up or they think they are facing a religious nutter and flee. It's probably blasphamy as well so that's a plus point:D
There is of course always the risk that you end up getting invited to their prayer group. :facepalm::eek:

As many of you will know Sepp Kuss from Durango, Colorado won the Vuelta a Espana this year. Here is his homecoming celebration:

There's hope for the US yet. Just bikes.......

Tow-bar bike carriers.

Anyone got any experience with them?

Went for a Thule tow-bar rack, on the Thule website was £990, on roofbox.co.uk was £550, quite a saving. Had a couple of trips out with the bikes on a tow-bar rack. First go was mine and a mates e-mtbs, 50kg worth of bikes, the tow-bar tilts backwards, amazed it doesn't just snap off. The rack comes with lights, is easy enough to install, had to get a number plate made up for it. Couldn't get the top bars to fit properly first time and spent much of the journey looking out the back, which is hardly ideal, second trip and got it all sorted, 80mph on a motorway and all's solid as a rock. Reversing camera only shows bikes and the powered boot opening only unlocks it and you have to manually lift it cos it senses there's something there, so if anyone feels like sending throughts, prayers, cash for that it would be appreciated. A world of new rides has just opened up :thumbs:

I need to get healthier so I'm looking at getting a bike for shorter journeys about town etc. Thing is, I'm fucking huge. I'm 6ft1ish and currently weigh in about 150kg. Even when I'm down to my ideal weight I'll hover around 100kg. Feel free to mock me for having ideas above my station but heres my questions.... firstly, am I too fat to ride a bike?

Assuming I'm not, I'd be most grateful if y'all could suggest some bikes for me, considering my....size. I have a budget so can't afford the thousands that I'm scared a bike for me will cost, lol.

Also, obviously tying with being a bloater is me having a larger than normal head. Where would I look for a helmet to preserve what little grey matter I have left?? And lastly, aside from the helmet and lock, what other bits do I need?

Cheers folks.

There’s a bike for everyone Tony, probably a mountain bike type would be best for you, bet weepiper will have some good ideas. Roughly what is your budget?

As you live where you do, don’t skimp on the lock and make sure you use it properly every time you leave the bike unattended.

Lights are useful at this time of year, get some that are small and easy to detach and carry with you.

There’s a bike for everyone Tony, probably a mountain bike type would be best for you, bet weepiper will have some good ideas. Roughly what is your budget?

As you live where you do, don’t skimp on the lock and make sure you use it properly every time you leave the bike unattended.

Lights are useful at this time of year, get some that are small and easy to detach and carry with you.

I'd think around a monkey would be my budget but with a little wriggle room.

tonysingh you are absolutely not too fat to ride a bike. There are some things to consider though. I would steer you away from anything in your budget that has suspension, because it will not cope with the weight and you'll be bottoming it out all the time, and the forks will just wear the bushes out really quickly. Avoid. Also you want to go for a smaller MTB type wheel size (you will see this described as 650b or 27.5") rather than a standard hybrid bike (700c) because smaller wheels are more robust. You still might find you break spokes fairly often but they can be replaced or the wheels upgraded to something stronger if you decide you like cycling. With that in mind I'm going to do something that might surprise some people and recommend a bike that you can only get at Halfords

Bombproof drainpipe frame, no cheap suspension that will just break, sturdy small wheels, smooth tyres for easier use on tarmac surfaces and that will hold a higher pressure than 'mountain bike' type tyres (this matters because you'll need to keep them inflated to the maximum in order to avoid getting pinch punctures on potholes and to prevent your wheel rims getting dented), a reasonable spread of gears and ok brakes for your budget, comes in an XL frame size.

In terms of a helmet, the Specialized Max has always been my go-to suggestion for the bigger-bonced gent as it comes in XL but there's a whole choice here

Measure around the biggest bit of your head above the ears with a tape.

Also whatever bike you end up getting, the most important thing you can learn to do is to stand up over bumps/potholes/kerbs. Stop pedalling, raise yourself off the seat and let your arms and legs absorb the impact not the bike. This will save you a lot of money in puncture repairs/wheel fixing :)

I need to get healthier so I'm looking at getting a bike for shorter journeys about town etc. Thing is, I'm fucking huge. I'm 6ft1ish and currently weigh in about 150kg. Even when I'm down to my ideal weight I'll hover around 100kg. Feel free to mock me for having ideas above my station but heres my questions.... firstly, am I too fat to ride a bike?

Assuming I'm not, I'd be most grateful if y'all could suggest some bikes for me, considering my....size. I have a budget so can't afford the thousands that I'm scared a bike for me will cost, lol.

Also, obviously tying with being a bloater is me having a larger than normal head. Where would I look for a helmet to preserve what little grey matter I have left?? And lastly, aside from the helmet and lock, what other bits do I need?

Cheers folks.
There's a guy on YouTube called Leonard Lee. He can give you all the inspiration you need as a larger cyclist.

Posting this just so wiser people (Weepiper?) can tell me if I'm wrong and point me in the right direction.

Re Helmets:
  • No substitute for trying one one - everyone's head is a different shape
  • In order to test it fits, put it on and adjust the headband. Then, without doing up the chin strap, put your head by your knees and see if it stays on. If it does, and you haven't lost circulation to your brain, then it fits.
  • The rest is marketing

Go try some on is the simple answer on order to get sizing right.
I am happy with Endura Strike, and like the fast they are bright green and therefore (maybe) visible to drivers. Also been happy with various Gore ones.
Personal , but I find that you don't want as thick as you first expected, your hands warm up when on the bike. It is always a trade off between warmth and being able to feel the brakes / gear shifters.
Look for some level of reflectiveness if you are road riding

Decathlon normally does good value gear - start there

Back
Top Bottom