Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Cure

I am now on my 5th listen I think :D - found it earlier today via The Guardian review... So simple (in terms of chord progression) but so haunting and effective. Love it. Cried the first time I heard it, getting stronger now :D :D But fuck yeah, where did it go - the time?

Sorry if this is already posted here

Last edited:
I struggle with the Cure tbh because in 1985 my neighbour in halls of residence went round taking the piss out of me for liking the Cure (and not being a Goth) - which i did at the time, ever since A Forest was in the chart when i was aged 13. I learned that the cure were not for me, and i stopped playing them. Still stuck in that rut. Not the Cure's fault. I really ought to challenge myself to get back into them and to start thinking of my twatty neighbour as an abusive twat. He also took the piss out of my Blakes 7 book. Twat!

Fantastic new song.

Was great live recently but Endsong was even better. Can't wait to hear that one.

I think this album will be their last but it's shaping up to be one of their best.

There’s a snippet of Endsong on the website now. It’s sounds as epic as we would hope.

I hope it’s not the end. At least in terms of new albums. But, it’s hard to see how it isn’t.

I struggle with the Cure tbh because in 1985 my neighbour in halls of residence went round taking the piss out of me for liking the Cure (and not being a Goth) - which i did at the time, ever since A Forest was in the chart when i was aged 13. I learned that the cure were not for me, and i stopped playing them. Still stuck in that rut. Not the Cure's fault. I really ought to challenge myself to get back into them and to start thinking of my twatty neighbour as an abusive twat. He also took the piss out of my Blakes 7 book. Twat!
The Cure may be liked by goths, but they're not a goth band. They definitely weren't in the early/mid 80s.

Yesterday, I felt so old. . .

is what I thought the lyric was, but I must have been living in a parallel universe, for it seems that the lyric has changed, and it is now

Yesterday, I got so old. . .

At that age it was my liking of joy division and new order that caused me lots of grief from the peers

The Cure may be liked by goths, but they're not a goth band. They definitely weren't in the early/mid 80s.
Although I tend to agree with you, I did recently read Lol Tolhurst’s book ‘Goth’ and Cathi Unsworth’s ‘Season of the Witch’ (both excellent social histories of the period, scene) and they both identify ’A Forest’ as IT, the moment ‘goth’ was born, year zero for goth boys and girls. Which I thought was interesting as I didn’t agree, but they both probably know better as I was never THAT into the scene.

Goth came a bit earlier than that, afaik. In the USA, Alice Cooper and The VU are seen as "goth" or at least some of the early output is.

Goth came a bit earlier than that, afaik. In the USA, Alice Cooper and The VU are seen as "goth" or at least some of the early output is.
absolute bollocks. Velvets arguably had some influence, but no one considered hem goth. As for Alice Cooper, just plain lol.

Suicide and the Cramps would have been better cases and were clear influences. But they weren't Goth. Goth was invented in England.

absolute bollocks. Velvets arguably had some influence, but no one considered hem goth. As for Alice Cooper, just plain lol.

Suicide and the Cramps would have been better cases and were clear influences. But they weren't Goth. Goth was invented in England.

Proto goth, then. Would also add that Black Sabbath first album has (along with blues vibes) a bit of a goth touch to it.

Last edited:
Unexcited by this, just sounds a sludge version of The Cure.

Although a Cure fan Smith has been pretty nasty to his band mates in the past, sacking without warning etc
I only say this after all the press attention and hagiography.
On the flip side he paid Lol Tolhurst's legal fees long after the later had lost the case.

I loved New Order at that age, but I don't think i met another New Order fan until i went to Polytechnic.

Yeah, remember "fans" suddenly appearing a few years later with the release of True Faith/1963, when the band went big time.

That's also peak goth music and look in Dublin. "Cureheads" they used to be called.

I was into a lot of 'that' sort of music - Cure, the Banshees, Bauhaus and so on (even went to see The Sisters of Mercy live!) - but don't remember that type of music and the particular look associates with diehard fans being referred to as Goth until, probably, the mid 80s at least.

For what it's worth

Goth is a subculture that began in the United Kingdom during the early 1980s. It was developed by fans of gothic rock, an offshoot of the post-punk music genre. Post-punk artists who presaged the gothic rock genre and helped develop and shape the subculture include Siouxsie and the Banshees, Bauhaus, the Cure, and Joy Division.

The term gothic rock was coined by music critic John Stickney in 1967 to describe a meeting he had with Jim Morrison in a dimly lit wine-cellar, which he called "the perfect room to honor the Gothic rock of the Doors". That same year, the Velvet Underground song "All Tomorrow's Parties" created a kind of "mesmerizing gothic-rock masterpiece" according to music historian Kurt Loder

"gothic rock" isn't the same as "Goth" though

In the late 1970s, the gothic adjective was used to describe the atmosphere of post-punk bands such as Siouxsie and the Banshees, Magazine, and Joy Division. In a live review about a Siouxsie and the Banshees' concert in July 1978, critic Nick Kent wrote, concerning their music, "[P]arallels and comparisons can now be drawn with gothic rock architects like the Doors and, certainly, early Velvet Underground"

The term was later applied to "newer bands such as Bauhaus who had arrived in the wake of Joy Division and Siouxsie and the Banshees". Bauhaus's first single issued in 1979, "Bela Lugosi's Dead", is generally credited as the starting point of the gothic rock genre.

However, it was not until the early 1980s that gothic rock became a coherent music subgenre within post-punk, and followers of these bands started to come together as a distinctly recognizable movement. They may have taken the "goth" mantle from a 1981 article published in UK rock weekly Sounds: "The face of Punk Gothique", written by Steve Keaton

The F Club night in Leeds in Northern England, which had opened in 1977 firstly as a punk club, became instrumental to the development of the goth subculture in the 1980s. In July 1982, the opening of the Batcave in London's Soho provided a prominent meeting point for the emerging scene, which would be briefly labelled "positive punk" by the NME in a special issue with a front cover in early 1983. The term Batcaver was then used to describe old-school goths.

So even by early 1983, there wasn't agreement that the newly emerging scene that we would now call Goth should be known by that term.

Yeah, remember "fans" suddenly appearing a few years later with the release of True Faith/1963, when the band went big time.

That's also peak goth music and look in Dublin. "Cureheads" they used to be called.
I'll say this for The Cure though, for a band that wasn't goth they sure did have a large and fanatical goth following. I've always been very goth friendly myself, and if i were to have picked a tribe back then it would have been goth. But unfortunately goths were pretty hostile to me, generally speaking - being mocked in the Poly bar, on goth night, was a regular occurrence for me.

I'll say this for The Cure though, for a band that wasn't goth they sure did have a large and fanatical goth following. I've always been very goth friendly myself, and if i were to have picked a tribe back then it would have been goth. But unfortunately goths were pretty hostile to me, generally speaking - being mocked in the Poly bar, on goth night, was a regular occurrence for me.
Sad to hear that.

The goth culture in 80s/early 90s in Dublin was pretty welcoming and diverse iirc.

Back
Top Bottom