Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Cure

Sad to hear that.

The goth culture in 80s/early 90s in Dublin was pretty welcoming and diverse iirc.
yeah, i seem to be able to bring the worst out in people. I reckon even the Pope would probably tell me to fuck off on sight.

Though i went to Poly in London where most students were doing business related stuff and they were probably arseholes in disguise. One time I was asked if I liked the Sisters of Mercy, well i don't, and i said no, but i do like Bauhaus, The Cure, The Banshees, etc. They accused me of being a Phil Collins fan and laughed at me.

yeah, i seem to be able to bring the worst out in people. I reckon even the Pope would probably tell me to fuck off on sight.

Though i went to Poly in London where most students were doing business related stuff and they were probably arseholes in disguise. One time I was asked if I liked the Sisters of Mercy, well i don't, and i said no, but i do like Bauhaus, The Cure, The Banshees, etc. They accused me of being a Phil Collins fan and laughed at me.

First met a Phil Collins fan when I was in my 30s. He enthused greatly about the man. But wasn't familiar with his pre-eighties Genesis work. He genuinely liked hits like Another Day in Paradise etc.

Lovely guy but I did wonder if he was doing the American Psycho routine on me...

First met a Phil Collins fan when I was in my 30s. He enthused greatly about the man. But wasn't familiar with his pre-eighties Genesis work. He genuinely liked hits like Another Day in Paradise etc.

Lovely guy but I did wonder if he was doing the American Psycho routine on me...
My sister liked Phil Collins.

Funny thing is she had a best friend in mid 80s who was a bit gothy and alternative and my sister always took the piss out of my music collection as it was mostly Bowie, indie, post-punk, electronica, 60s psych, and hers was just pop, horrible sugary pop. Her friend saw my collection and then went through looking at individual albums picking a few out, going cool, cool, fucking cool, while my sister looked on amazed. It was the first time I think i realised that my musical tastes were "fucking cool", and possibly could lead to meeting cool girls - which it eventually did!! And cool guys too.

Last edited:
Also i did eventually get into Genesis while at Poly, through my flatmate who had all their records up till the 80s pop ones. I really liked Lamb Lies Down on Broadway, and can appreciate the ABACAB era of Genesis, but never Phil Collins as a solo artist. Never!!!

My sister liked Phil Collins.

Funny thing is she had a best friend in mid 80s who was a bit gothy and alternative and my sister always took the piss out of my music collection as it was mostly Bowie, indie, post-punk, electronica, 60s psych, and hers was just pop, horrible sugary pop. Her friend saw my collection and then went through looking at individual albums picking a few out, going cool, cool, fucking cool, while my sister looked on amazed. It was the first time I think i realised that my musical tastes were fucking cool, and possibly could lead to meeting cool girls - which it eventually did!! And cool guys too.

These days, in all fairness, I have no idea what's cool or not.

I can listen to so-called cool and uncool artists and I don't really care what anyone else thinks.

Most people grow out of it. Apart from Phil Collins ;)

Although, Against All Odds is an earworm that's haunted me for years!

On 2nd November 2024,

BBC Two (TV) will dedicate an evening to The Cure, showcasing several programs centered on the band. The schedule includes:

The Cure: Radio 2 In Concert – A special broadcast of their recent intimate live performance at BBC Radio Theatre.

The Cure at the BBC – A new compilation featuring some of the band’s best moments from the BBC archives.

That Was Then…This Is Now: The Cure – Another chance to watch this documentary.

The Cure at Glastonbury 2019 – A rerun of their celebrated headline performance at the festival.

Rock Around the Clock: The Cure – More footage and highlights celebrating the band.

In the draw. Surely I must get a ticket as karma for missing out on their last London gig due to having emergency surgery!

I haven't, and I think it's very dubious behaviour from the record compny to do this.
Yeah. I'm hovering, but I'm a bit "this seems a bit exploitative." The CDs have sold out, so there will be thousands of people trying to get tickets tomorrow. I don't want to go through another Oasis debacle, also having spent 20 quid for the privilege.

Yeah. I'm hovering, but I'm a bit "this seems a bit exploitative." The CDs have sold out, so there will be thousands of people trying to get tickets tomorrow. I don't want to go through another Oasis debacle, also having spent 20 quid for the privilege.
They have promised no dynamic pricing, so at least you know exactly how much you'l be charged.

Back
Top Bottom