Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Championship 2021-22

Lorca

Call in Sick Tomorrow
So, how's everyone seeing their season shaping up, now we're allowed back in the grounds? Typically, my team Birmingham City have undermined a great start (beating one of the favourites, Sheff Utd) by announcing that two of the stands in St Andrews have been declared unsafe, after we sold thousands of tickets for Saturday's game against Stoke! Farcicaly, they had a lottery for the remaining tickets for the ground and loads of season ticket holders are having to miss the game, with some blues apparently saying they're going to go anyway. What could go wrong, typical blues eh.
Anyway, the usual suspects look good afaic, fulham, sheff utd, west brom. Think we will finish mid table which is pretty good after the last few years. One player to look out for, our loan signing from Man Utd, Tahith Chong - looks class at this level.

Not much optimism at Reading. We lost three really good players over the summer (Omar Richards went on a free to Bayern Munich ffs) and are under sanctions from the league, so bringing players in isn't easy. Just today signed Tom Dele-Bashiru from Watford on a season long loan - looks like a decent player, coming back from injury though.
We have cut a lot of dead wood from the squad, to try to comply with FFP, after some ridiculously bad signings by a previous Director of Football, and the squad is a bit thin.
The team that lost in the League Cup mid-week was largely youth players, so no-one is worried about that, and the 3-2 defeat at Stoke last weekend isn't the end of the world.
We should be OK. Mid table is my prediction.

Not much optimism at Reading. We lost three really good players over the summer (Omar Richards went on a free to Bayern Munich ffs) and are under sanctions from the league, so bringing players in isn't easy. Just today signed Tom Dele-Bashiru from Watford on a season long loan - looks like a decent player, coming back from injury though.
We have cut a lot of dead wood from the squad, to try to comply with FFP, after some ridiculously bad signings by a previous Director of Football, and the squad is a bit thin.
The team that lost in the League Cup mid-week was largely youth players, so no-one is worried about that, and the 3-2 defeat at Stoke last weekend isn't the end of the world.
We should be OK. Mid table is my prediction.
You still got that Portuguese lad up front ?

If Fulham don’t get automatic promotion with the squad we have it’ll be considered a huge underachievement. We’ve kept hold of some seriously good players and Mitro is lethal at this level.

Lucas Joao? Yep, he's still with us. Thankfully.
and he's injured, out for weeks, as is Ejaria, one of our few creative players.

Lost to Brizzle City at home tonight. Appalling defending, by all accounts, just like against Stoke. We are scoring goals, just fewer than we are conceding. Which is never a good plan.

It's going to be a long season.

Interesting exchange on Twitter.........

Reading FC excitedly tweeted that Danny Drinkwater has signed on a season long loan.

This was the response.....

"Danny Drinkwater has played in one win in English league football since 2017. And even then, Aston Villa were 1-0 down when they substituted him."

In other news, this is our 150th anniversary season. We got relegated in our 100th anniversary year, and our final season at Elm Park, so "big years" do not go well for us.

We are celebrating our 150th by recreating the yellow away kit we wore when we won the Simod Cup at Wembley in 1988. We got relegated from Division 2 that year.

It's going to be a long season isn't it?

This might come back to haunt me but I've never been so confident of Fulham going up since we won the championship under Jean Tigana. If anything, we look stronger than last season.

Blues actually looking quite a decent team, strengthened even more by signing Troy Deeney, the prodigal son. Chong also is probably the best player in the division and at last we seem to have a decent manager in Lee Bowyer. Might be a tad reckless but I think we could even make the play-offs, this being Blues though an implosion of some sort is just as likely.

Desperately needed, but let’s face it if we had failed to beat Peterborough at home we really would be in trouble.
Oh absolutely. I think you're right in that it's going to be a long season but I foolishly have hope. I mean not for promotion or play offs, bit for mid table safety.

We got a bit of a spanking from Fulham wednesday, not so surprising really when their striker alone cost more than our whole squad pretty much. We actually played quite well despite the score (4-1) but they just had the extra quality. They're a good team, should get promoted, Wilson looks a great player but what struck me was that they were relegated with ease from the premiership but they look a cut above in the champ. The gulf is huge i think.

We got a bit of a spanking from Fulham wednesday, not so surprising really when their striker alone cost more than our whole squad pretty much. We actually played quite well despite the score (4-1) but they just had the extra quality. They're a good team, should get promoted, Wilson looks a great player but what struck me was that they were relegated with ease from the premiership but they look a cut above in the champ. The gulf is huge i think.
Oh dear. Guess who Reading are away at tomorrow.....

Well done Reading! As for Blues, the less said the better :facepalm: They'll do that though, any sniff of optimism and they're guaranteed to let you down! We took 4,000 to Posh today, poor sods had to sit through that, and worse Peterborough banned alcohol from the away end. Travesty!

Reading apparently in line for a 9 point deduction. Yippee.

I read somewhere that Derby's deduction will be 9 points for the ffp breach, and 12 for going into admin, so -21 in all.

I wonder how many other clubs will be hit before the season is out.

I did think we might get a points deduction. And we definitely won't be the last this season, even after Derby I think.

Derby’s 12 point deduction confirmed. Apparently they could still get another 9 points for dodgy accounting policies. I can see that being put aside now.

What other clubs are in line? I’ve seen speculation but nothing concrete.

Derby’s 12 point deduction confirmed. Apparently they could still get another 9 points for dodgy accounting policies. I can see that being put aside now.

What other clubs are in line? I’ve seen speculation but nothing concrete.

Can't say I've got any inside knowledge, but any relegated team who hasn't made it back up before the parachute payments run out .. Swansea? Stoke (although they have a very rich owner who may well be able to find a way through the P&S rules). Cardiff?

Clubs with financial problems seem to struggle on for a couple of years before the points deductions take them out.

Was stuck behind a father and son walking from the station to the groind the other night. Good fifteen minute walk, I was earwigging. The son in his early twenties was going on and on to his dad about the different champ teams, the players, they had. Proper football nut. And I thought how great it is whem people have that external focus, and are obsessed by something that is beyond self image etc. I'm sure football nuts are dying out and he reminded me of people I used to hear in my youth. Could be wrong.

Late winner up at Barnsley. Afobe really starting to click with jed Wallace. Can see us finishing in top ten

Mitro's on fire. Your defence is terrified!

We have played only a 3rd of the season. He's in the form of his life. And before I get the predictable "He cant do it in the premiership" line, he scored 11 goals when we were promoted 2 times ago (not last season when Parker hardly played him).

Screenshot 2021-11-01 at 13.07.29.png

Back
Top Bottom