Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Bibliclal Book of Revelation - In terms of a standalone literary text

Back to Revalations. It's interesting how "born again" types interpret it to be a prophesy about the second coming and the "rapture" and the end of the world.

Also, "something" will have been lost in the multiplicity of translations.
I don't (personally) have the linguistic background, in Greek and Latin, but I am aware that the Modern English versions has variations from the King James Edition.

However, Robert Heinlein comments in one of his works, quoting The Revelation of St John the Divine, [ch13 v18] that the usual 666 for the number of the beast is translated incorrectly [obv not by a mathematician], and should be six to the sixth power, and that result raised to the sixth power.
That is --- 1.03144 x 10 to 28th power ... in full = 10,314,424,798,490,535,546,171,949,056 ...
[how Heinlein worked that out I'll leave to your imagination].

Nothing in either the Old or the New Testament was originally written in Latin.

Heinlein was writing fiction. The Greek of Revelation seems fairly straightforward to me: ὁ ἔχων νοῦν ψηφισάτω τὸν ἀριθμὸν τοῦ θηρίου, ἀριθμὸς γὰρ ἀνθρώπου ἐστίν· καὶ ὁ ἀριθμὸς αὐτοῦ ἑξακόσιοι ἑξήκοντα ἕξ.

ἑξακόσιοι means 600. ἑξήκοντα means 60. ἕξ means six. There is no way that I can see to get powers into that, but if you don't know Greek and are trusting that most of your readers don't know Greek either, you can say what you like.

Also, "something" will have been lost in the multiplicity of translations.
I don't (personally) have the linguistic background, in Greek and Latin, but I am aware that the Modern English versions has variations from the King James Edition.

However, Robert Heinlein comments in one of his works, quoting The Revelation of St John the Divine, [ch13 v18] that the usual 666 for the number of the beast is translated incorrectly [obv not by a mathematician], and should be six to the sixth power, and that result raised to the sixth power.
That is --- 1.03144 x 10 to 28th power ... in full = 10,314,424,798,490,535,546,171,949,056 ...
[how Heinlein worked that out I'll leave to your imagination].
you've quoted it now we're doomed why did you do that??? :mad:

Back
Top Bottom