Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Beast Revelation

Surely every Christian who goes by the Bible is going to be a vegetarian or a hypocrite what with thou shalt not kill and all?
When the Jehovahā€™s Witnesses turn up I always ask them how they reconcile wearing leather shoes with the commandments.
They slink away without even giving me a Watchtower.
My message to Christians is obey the Bible you go on about by being a vegetarian, and donā€™t come back at me by saying ā€˜thou shalt not killā€™ is down to their ā€˜interpretationā€™.

Surely every Christian who goes by the Bible is going to be a vegetarian or a hypocrite what with thou shalt not kill and all?
When the Jehovahā€™s Witnesses turn up I always ask them how they reconcile wearing leather shoes with the commandments.
My message to Christians is obey the Bible you go on about by being a vegetarian, and donā€™t come back at me by saying ā€˜thou shalt not killā€™ is down to their ā€˜interpretationā€™.
Thereā€™s lots of occasions in the Bible where killing is just fine. Encouraged, even.

Deuteronomy 21:18-21

ā€œIf a man has a stubborn and rebellious son who will not obey the voice of his father or the voice of his mother, and, though they discipline him, will not listen to them, then his father and his mother shall take hold of him and bring him out to the elders of his city at the gate of the place where he lives, and they shall say to the elders of his city, ā€˜This our son is stubborn and rebellious; he will not obey our voice; he is a glutton and a drunkard.ā€™ Then all the men of the city shall stone him to death with stones. So you shall purge the evil from your midst, and all Israel shall hear, and fearā€.

Itā€™s difficult to be a Bible literalist, given all the contradiction. So I wouldnā€™t place opposition to Christianity on Bible literalism either.

The bible is clear that you will you will either go to heaven or hell forever and that satan will be defeated.

That's the general Christian consensus, yes. But the notion raises a whole bunch of questions and the answers to those seem to vary not just by denomination, but in some cases by the individual as well.

Vegetarianism isn't specified by the Bible. Animal sacrifice is mentioned favourably and there is no explicit instruction against eating the flesh of other animals. Pretty sure that God explicitly gives humans dominion over the animals. There are instructions against eating certain animals or against eating them prepared in a certain manner, but the idea that any of that is an admonishment against eating meat is a stretch, to say the least.

That's the general Christian consensus, yes. But the notion raises a whole bunch of questions and the answers to those seem to vary not just by denomination, but in some cases by the individual as well.

Vegetarianism isn't specified by the Bible. Animal sacrifice is mentioned favourably and there is no explicit instruction against eating the flesh of other animals. Pretty sure that God explicitly gives humans dominion over the animals. There are instructions against eating certain animals or against eating them prepared in a certain manner, but the idea that any of that is an admonishment against eating meat is a stretch, to say the least.

Peter dreams itā€™s OK to eat bacon and shellfish.

Acts 10:9-16

9 About noon the following day as they were on their journey and approaching the city, Peter went up on the roof to pray. 10 He became hungry and wanted something to eat, and while the meal was being prepared, he fell into a trance. 11 He saw heaven opened and something like a large sheet being let down to earth by its four corners. 12 It contained all kinds of four-footed animals, as well as reptiles and birds. 13 Then a voice told him, ā€œGet up, Peter. Kill and eat.ā€
14 ā€œSurely not, Lord!ā€ Peter replied. ā€œI have never eaten anything impure or unclean.ā€
15 The voice spoke to him a second time, ā€œDo not call anything impure that God has made clean.ā€
16 This happened three times, and immediately the sheet was taken back to heaven.

Peter dreams itā€™s OK to eat bacon and shellfish.

Acts 10:9-16

9 About noon the following day as they were on their journey and approaching the city, Peter went up on the roof to pray. 10 He became hungry and wanted something to eat, and while the meal was being prepared, he fell into a trance. 11 He saw heaven opened and something like a large sheet being let down to earth by its four corners. 12 It contained all kinds of four-footed animals, as well as reptiles and birds. 13 Then a voice told him, ā€œGet up, Peter. Kill and eat.ā€
14 ā€œSurely not, Lord!ā€ Peter replied. ā€œI have never eaten anything impure or unclean.ā€
15 The voice spoke to him a second time, ā€œDo not call anything impure that God has made clean.ā€
16 This happened three times, and immediately the sheet was taken back to heaven.

I'm guessing that this is one of the passages (among others no doubt) used by Christians to justify eating pork and other non-kosher foods. Makes me wonder how many pig farmers had the ears of attendees at the Council of Nicea.

Reading the Bible is like listening to some rambling old sexist, misogynistic alcoholic.

Funny you should say that, because one of my earliest observations I remember from reading the Bible is how, in the sections where God (or was it one of his prophets?) is ranting about Israel being bad or whatever, the verbiage distinctly put me in mind of an abusive father figure. I don't think it's a coincidence that so many abusive parents justify their vile behaviour with Biblical examples.

I'm guessing that this is one of the passages (among others no doubt) used by Christians to justify eating pork. Makes me wonder how many pig farmers had the ears of attendees at the Council of Nicea.
Itā€™s worth remembering that ā€œthe Bibleā€ isnā€™t one book, but a collection of writings and oral passages later recorded that already probably covered a millenium and a half by the time the New Testament was being recorded.

The cultures over that time changed from nomadic tribes to settled temple monarchs to Roman occupation. The needs of the societies would have varied hugely. Storing shellfish in a desert nomad lifestyle would have been extremely foolish, just for one obvious point.

The Bible isnā€™t one author changing their mind over and over. Itā€™s a record of societal change over many centuries.

Funny you should say that, because one of my earliest observations I remember from reading the Bible is how, in the sections where God (or was it one of his prophets?) is ranting about Israel being bad or whatever, the verbiage distinctly put me in mind of an abusive father figure. I don't think it's a coincidence that so many abusive parents justify their vile behaviour with Biblical examples.
Look how many people use the Bible to justify racism, sexism, misogyny, homophobia, cruelty and murder. If that's all down to them not interpretating His message correctly why hasn't he bothered to pop down once in over 2,000 years to correct those assumption?

Why, it's almost like he doesn't care and/or doesn't exist!

Itā€™s worth remembering that ā€œthe Bibleā€ isnā€™t one book, but a collection of writings and oral passages later recorded that already probably covered a millenium and a half by the time the New Testament was being recorded.

The cultures over that time changed from nomadic tribes to settled temple monarchs to Roman occupation. The needs of the societies would have varied hugely. Storing shellfish in a desert nomad lifestyle would have been extremely foolish, just for one obvious point.

The Bible isnā€™t one author changing their mind over and over. Itā€™s a record of societal change over many centuries.

Sure, but I mentioned the Council of Nicea because, as I understand it, that was the defining event in terms of establishing Biblical canonicity according to Christians. Between the main branches of Catholicism and Protestantism, there's a few books' difference. Lots of stuff got left out by the Council, such as that charming story about the baby Jesus taming a flock of dragons. Now that would have made for some cool retellings and adaptations.

Look how many people use the Bible to justify racism, sexism, misogyny, homophobia, cruelty and murder. If that's all down to them not interpretating His message correctly why hasn't he bothered to pop down once in over 2,000 years to correct those assumption?

Why, it's almost like he doesn't care and/or doesn't exist!

Apparently nebulous threats and promises of things happening after one is already dead is how God chooses to enforce his will. Because it seems that if everyone on Earth were confronted with incontrovertible experiences that unambiguously establish God's existence, that would somehow violate free will. Despite the fact that humans are plenty capable of denying things even when they're happening before their very eyes.

The council of Nicea did not decide biblical canonicity. It decided against the heresy of Arius who made a relatively hard distinction between the Father and the Son. If yous like video essays here's one about it:

Sure, but I mentioned the Council of Nicea because
Sorry, I know I quoted you but I was using your food musings as a launching point for my comments rather than to contradict anything you said. I should have been clearer about that.

Knotted is right that the first Nicean council didnā€™t select canon. That was already pretty much settled by that point. But it worked on far more than just the Arian heresy.

Itā€™s often said Voltaire started the canon selection story. But that may also turn out to be, ironically enough, apocryphal. Who knows. Was Herodotus the father of history or the father of lies? Both.

Why canā€™t ā€™dominionā€™ mean caring respecting and protecting animals rather than killing and eating them?

Why canā€™t ā€™dominionā€™ mean caring respecting and protecting animals rather than killing and eating them?

Maybe it can, it's not like vegetarianism is actually forbidden. But I think there are enough favourable or neutral references in the Bible to animals being eaten or used for other purposes to make a solid case that vegetarianism is by no means Biblically mandated. Certainly the people who wrote the various books of the Bible at the time had no problem with eating animals or using them for labour, and I think the content reflects this. Drawing any mandatory exhortations to vegetarianism would be very much a modern interpretation.

Maybe it can, it's not like vegetarianism is actually forbidden. But I think there are enough favourable or neutral references in the Bible to animals being eaten or used for other purposes to make a solid case that vegetarianism is by no means Biblically mandated. Certainly the people who wrote the various books of the Bible at the time had no problem with eating animals or using them for labour, and I think the content reflects this. Drawing any mandatory exhortations to vegetarianism would be very much a modern interpretation.

You what?
Vegetarianism isnā€™t something that gets ā€˜mandatedā€™ in any way.
It is simply a good and sensible thing, maybe brought on by the god that lives within, rather than the god some people say is the main feature of the Bible.

You what?
Vegetarianism isnā€™t something that gets ā€˜mandatedā€™ in any way.

It's certainly not mandated within the Bible, at least as far as I'm aware. Some religions, notably dharmic ones IIRC, place an emphasis on vegetarianism as part of their teachings. Although given how many Hindus and Buddhists eat meat, it doesn't appear to be compulsory.

It is simply a good and sensible thing

In your opinion. Not that of the Bible, which would seem to be neutral on the idea.

maybe brought on by the god that lives within, rather than the god some people say is the main feature of the Bible.

If someone is a Christian, then the canonical texts of their particular denomination are going to be relevant on some level. But the decision to embrace vegetarianism would not be something explicitly commanded by what is widely accepted by many Christians as God's written word.

Yeah ok.
Looks to me on the vegetarian thing, that my opinion is you can declare yourself a Christian as a way of getting out of being nice.
Like itā€™s OK to go around smiting and suchlike behaviour.

MORE EVIDENCE THAT IT'S TRUMP:

Letā€™s start with Ingersol Lockwood. The 1800s author who wrote ā€œBarronTrumps Marvelous underground Journeyā€ and ā€œ1900 or The Last President.ā€

The basic plot of Barron Trump- it open by reassuring you that Barron trump is not a figment of your imagination ā€œa mere Barron of the mindā€ but a very real Barron. Strange way to start a story. It proceeds with Barron being led from castle trump in germany( where his family is in fact from) by a man named don through a portal to Russia.

The Last PresidentAn outsider candidate is elected and all hell breaks loose, culminating in the destruction of the capital.Shortly after it opens, ā€œthe fifth avenue hotel will be the first to feel the fury of the mobā€.The manā€™s agriculture secretary is named pence.

These are the most striking parallels.

Next, the Bible. Revelation 13:3

I saw that one of its heads seemed to have been mortally wounded, but this mortal wound was healed.* Fascinated, the whole world followed after the beast.

Thessalonians 2

Concerning the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ and our being gathered to him, we ask you, brothers and sisters, 2 not to become easily unsettled or alarmed by the teaching allegedly from usā€”whether by a prophecy or by word of mouth or by letterā€”asserting that the day of the Lord has already come. 3 Donā€™t let anyone deceive you in any way, for that day will not come until the rebellion occurs and the man of lawlessness[a] is revealed, the man doomed to destruction. 4 He will oppose and will exalt himself over everything that is called God or is worshiped, so that he sets himself up in Godā€™s temple, proclaiming himself to be God.

5 Donā€™t you remember that when I was with you I used to tell you these things? 6 And now you know what is holding him back, so that he may be revealed at the proper time. 7 For the secret power of lawlessness is already at work; but the one who now holds it back will continue to do so till he is taken out of the way. 8 And then the lawless one will be revealed, whom the Lord Jesus will overthrow with the breath of his mouth and destroy by the splendor of his coming. 9 The coming of the lawless one will be in accordance with how Satan works. He will use all sorts of displays of power through signs and wonders that serve the lie, 10 and all the ways that wickedness deceives those who are perishing. They perish because they refused to love the truth and so be saved. 11 For this reason God sends them a powerful delusion so that they will believe the lie 12 and so that all will be condemned who have not believed the truth but have delighted in wickedness.

This doesnā€™t bode well for maga.

There are other parallels, Jared kushner and 666 fifth Avenue. The maga hats they wear on their heads.
Itā€™s weird. And it doesnā€™t end there. But whatever.Iā€™m not a Christian, or remotely religious. But I find this fucking weird, and if nothing elseā€¦perhaps useful. Do with it what you will. I know it freaked my catholic friend out enough to consider not voting for him.
Reddit confirms the Word of the Lord :eek:

Back
Top Bottom