Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

*The Archers thread

With George's moment with Neil tonight I started to wonder if there was going to be something on young men's mental health. Of course I also wondered if Brian dying of an angina attack about George's behaviour would be an aggravating circumstance. Brain was truly predictable today!
They ran a thing on young men's mental health fairly recently when Ben had the bust up with his girlfriend and then a ONS with Chelsea, who had an abortion.
On reflection, maybe it wasn't that recent, as ISTR it was pre-pandemic, which is like a former Ice Age ago.

But yes, it's pointing that way, and maybe addressing some of George's Andrew Tateish tendencies too in sorting it all out.

They ran a thing on young men's mental health fairly recently when Ben had the bust up with his girlfriend and then a ONS with Chelsea, who had an abortion.
On reflection, maybe it wasn't that recent, as ISTR it was pre-pandemic, which is like a former Ice Age ago
Pretty sure it was post pandemic and your absaloutley right although for some reason it slipped my mind.

Pretty sure it was post pandemic and your absaloutley right although for some reason it slipped my mind.

That was in 2022 I think, certainly not pre pandemic

Neil was amazing this evening, such a good egg. Brian’s comment “Miranda is almost as bad as Pat” made me laugh too

Also a reminder that the Archers are landlord boss scum who exploit working class folk like George, offering them precarious jobs and sack them on the spot

There’s a bbc R4 afternoon play from the 1980s dealing with Ambridge through the 1910s. Dan Archer cosies up to the squire and gets sent home from the trenches to farm, and ends up getting the Brookfield tenancy which had been verbally promised before the war to George Grundy (Eddie’s Grandad, played by Eddie of our time) who spends the war as a sergeant fighting in the yeomany. He comes back a war hero but remains a peasant.

This is the cause of Joe Grundy’s long going grievance against the Archers stealing the Grundy birthright

Summary here. I have it on mp3 but don’t know how to share it

I wonder if George will tell tales on Harrison?

What Justin will tell Alice?
And what will he tell his favourite - the ever charming Carlotte?

How soon the court date is for George?

Last edited:
Well interestingly the BBC seem to have fucked up their podcast distribution so I could listen to Friday's episode. But since my major reason to listen at the moment is posting here I'll avoid it #nospoilers.

1000054580.jpg

How were Emma and Will 'assisting an offender'? They just didn't shop him. Are we under a duty to report someone if we think they've committed a crime? I don't think so. Nor does the CPS.

Except in certain terrorist related matters there is no criminal offence in not reporting you suspect someone is guilty of an offence.

guilty of an offence .... like his assault of poor young George? Grown man - policeman no less assaulting a clearly distressed 19 year old. I heard it all. If anyone knows the Borsetshire police number I'll phone them myself so he'll be getting a visit, too. :mad:

Yes, it can be illegal to withhold information about a crime from the police in the UK:

• Concealing offenses
    If someone knows or believes a crime has been committed and has information that could help prosecute the offender, they can be imprisoned for up to two years.

Yes, it can be illegal to withhold information about a crime from the police in the UK:

• Concealing offenses
    If someone knows or believes a crime has been committed and has information that could help prosecute the offender, they can be imprisoned for up to two years.
Could you point us to the source of that, please? Spelling suggests it's from the US. Except for terrorism, as A380 said, I don't think applies in England and Wales.

Conspiracy to pervert the course of justice appears to be a thing. Not quite sure if what Ed and Will did reaches that level but I can belive there is enough to investigate.

• Concealing offenses

But the offence in England and Wales there is ‘receiving a consideration’ . I.e. it is a crime to take payment off of someone not to dob them in.

Last edited:
A touch more googling because bed is warm and I don't want to get out

From here: What Is Considered As Assisting An Offender? - Stephensons Solicitors LLP
But the offence in England and Wales there is ‘receiving a consideration’ . I.e. it is a crime to take payment off of someone not to dob them in.

Both high bars to clear.

But then Susan Gaolbird Carter did get six months for harbouring an offender when she hid Clive; showing that both the Borcetshire filth and the bench there take a much much harder line in some cases than the rest of the country. So perhaps the whole family will be banged up by Christmas.

Either way what’s the betting Usha ends up doing the defence, driving a wedge between Harrison and Alan ? Harrison then gets dismissed from the force, he is on a warning after all, and becomes a devil worshipper?

Either way what’s the betting Usha ends up doing the defence, driving a wedge between Harrison and Alan ? Harrison then gets dismissed from the force, he is on a warning after all, and becomes a devil worshipper?
Or Emma gets nothing because she did eventually turn George in, but Will gets time leading to a what about poppy story arc.

I don't expect they'll get more than a talking to. It will be Harrison getting his collar felt for interfering in a case that he's been warned off, and especially and deliciously for having a go at young George. :thumbs:

Harrison was on a final warning so this will be an end to his police career and probably his marriage. Maybe he'll train for the priesthood and come back to haunt Ambridge as Alan's successor.:eek:
IF there's anyone left by then, who hasn't died or gone to jail.

Couldn't link to the source. It was some kind of AI bot but it was an answer to whether it was a crime to withhold information about a criminal act in the UK.

There was a lawyer in the states who used Chat GPT to write his arguments. Trouble was it wasn’t actually connected to any legal databases and just made up the names in stated cases, or whatever the ‘mericans call them …

There was a lawyer in the states who used Chat GPT to write his arguments. Trouble was it wasn’t actually connected to any legal databases and just made up the names in stated cases, or whatever the ‘mericans call them …
It does seem to link to the CPS, the Criminal Law act and the Sentencing Council.

Or Emma gets nothing because she did eventually turn George in, but Will gets time leading to a what about poppy story arc.
Better still, George gets a suspended sentence because of his heroics on the night but Emma and William get 2 years for concealing a crime.
Then Will has to visit his Mum and Dad in prison.

Come on writers, don't let me down.

How were Emma and Will 'assisting an offender'? They just didn't shop him. Are we under a duty to report someone if we think they've committed a crime? I don't think so. Nor does the CPS.

I thought exactly this, and looked up the legislation last night. It seemed to require someone to actually do something to assist an offender, not just refrain from reporting them.

PC Burns is surely going to lose his job this time, isn't he? Another good reason for Fallon to dump him imo. Then he can play hide the sausage with Alice, she'll get up the duff and he'll be thrilled.

We could be in for a whole season of "change your partners". Ed is really pissed off with Emma, so might dump her, and Chris Carter is spare, so Fallon could swap to either of them. Emma can then get back with Will, keeping things in the family.

I thought exactly this, and looked up the legislation last night. It seemed to require someone to actually do something to assist an offender, not just refrain from reporting them.

PC Burns is surely going to lose his job this time, isn't he? Another good reason for Fallon to dump him imo. Then he can play hide the sausage with Alice, she'll get up the duff and he'll be thrilled.

We could be in for a whole season of "change your partners". Ed is really pissed off with Emma, so might dump her, and Chris Carter is spare, so Fallon could swap to either of them. Emma can then get back with Will, keeping things in the family.
He got stripes a few years ago, so he’s a Sergeant

Back
Top Bottom