Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The 2023 Russian Coup.

I'm not trying to 'normalise' anything-whatever that's supposed to mean and such as it would be possible via obscure online forum.
I was being polite. I could have used "minimise", or "dismiss", both of which I am sure you will deny, as you generally do.

But, outside your particularly narrow interpretations of your own words, it's pretty obvious to anyone reading them what you are doing.
I am, however, fairly indifferent to it, it being not much of an ordeal to watch from afar those who stole the Russian economy, or else directly or indirectly facilitated the theft, being devoured by the sytem it resulted in, and I am similarly amused by those posters on here who purport to anguish over the fate of people they would in all other circumstances presumably regard as political enemies. Or maybe left liberals in the west have now reached the point where neo-liberal and other essentially right-wing, pro-capitalists are allies?
"left liberals" - your agenda is showing. Again.

As if those who are more sceptical about the war don't frequently get abuse on here (much more vitriolic than anything anybody gets from me) from those very same warmongers. Works both ways.

And at least I'm not always diverting the discussion into yet another round of detailing the perceived personal shortcomings of posters whose views I might disapprove of.
They don't get "abuse" for their scepticism. They get called out for the nefarious ways in which they - and that includes you - duck and weave to actually avoid standing up for their views. And, of course, get terribly offended when their blanket accusations - "warmongers" - are challenged.

Not particularly consistent.

Not particularly interesting.

You post certain content to provoke and then act all superior and coy when asked for an explanation.

Odd behaviour.

Take it tp PMs instead of clogging up threads by writing constantly about my supposed shortcomings.

I was being polite. I could have used "minimise", or "dismiss", both of which I am sure you will deny, as you generally do.

But, outside your particularly narrow interpretations of your own words, it's pretty obvious to anyone reading them what you are doing.

"left liberals" - your agenda is showing. Again.
I don't deny my indifference to the fate of most of Putin's opponents. After all, they would most definitely be indifferent to mine or yours.

What exactly am I doing, and why shouldn't it be allowed?

It's a board dominated by left-liberals

(You seem full of dark hints this morning. On the skunk last night?)

They don't get "abuse" for their scepticism. They get called out for the nefarious ways in which they - and that includes you - duck and weave to actually avoid standing up for their views. And, of course, get terribly offended when their blanket accusations - "warmongers" - are challenged.
Do you read the threads? The abuse goes almost entirely one way. Doesn't bother me, I merely highlight the fact occasionally.

I fail to see where I've hidden my views. It would mean people like you wouldn't really have anything to reply to if I had, wouldn't it?

Anybody who cheers on war risks accusations of being a warmonger. It's just a term and you're entirely free to reject it

Last edited:
Take it tp PMs instead of clogging up threads by writing constantly about my supposed shortcomings.

Maybe you should hold your tongue on constantly denigration posters who disagree with your position.

This is why a blog would suit you better. You'd have control over those who might have issues over your miserablism and baiting.

Maybe you should hold your tongue on constantly denigration posters who disagree with your position.

This is why a blog would suit you better. You'd have control over those who might have issues over your miserablism and baiting.
You're the one who seems to need control over opinions you don't like.

He's a bit tedious and thinks he knows more about Russia than anyone else in the world but the constant accusations of hidden agendas and demands to answer questions are fucking ridiculous and ten times as annoying.
Nothing like being damned with faint praise.:cool:

He's a bit tedious and thinks he knows more about Russia than anyone else in the world but the constant accusations of hidden agendas and demands to answer questions are fucking ridiculous and ten times as annoying.
Tbf, doubt he has a "hidden" agenda.

It's not a terrible part of debate to ask someone what they mean when they post unclear and unfounded accusations, surely? Especially when they claim it's all about debate.

I'm not trying to 'normalise' anything-whatever that's supposed to mean and such as it would be possible via obscure online forum.

I am, however, fairly indifferent to it, it being not much of an ordeal to watch from afar those who stole the Russian economy, or else directly or indirectly facilitated the theft, being devoured by the sytem it resulted in, and I am similarly amused by those posters on here who purport to anguish over the fate of people they would in all other circumstances presumably regard as political enemies. Or maybe left liberals in the west have now reached the point where neo-liberal and other essentially right-wing, pro-capitalists are allies?
Christ, all I said was this:

I think I’d give unequivocal support if the alternative was novichok or falling out of a window.

It's not a terrible part of debate to ask someone what they mean when they post unclear and unfounded accusations, surely? Especially when they claim it's all about debate.
Whether unfounded or not, they're never really unclear. And it's all subjective anyway.

Well the weird ct level stuff was the other fella but no, he doesn't owe you anything, it's very very boring and it doesn't constitute constructive discussion on your part. Not that everything has to be constructive but it's not entertaining either.

I think most sane people tuned out of this thread long ago.

It's unfortunate as there are a lot of issues to discuss, specificially with regard to the lack of consequences for Wagner and the oddball denail on UK televsiion by the Russian ambassador, that there were any government casuaties, two weeks after a Russian command aeroplane was videoed in a burning death spiral, as a result of being hit by a Wagner missile, during the uprising.

No one has a clue why Wagner are now in Belarus other than as a giant feint, psy-op, or the growing bellicosity of Poland and Lithuania in response to phantom Wagner "threats" towards the Suwaliki Gap. Then there's the issue of control of Russian interests in Africa, and the remarkable lack of consequences for Prigozhin, other than his disappearing from the social media airwaves since the uprising was halted. Plus Peskov's droopy moustache sweeping up the afters, pretty much admitting that democracy is a costly bureacratic exercise and that Vladimir Vladimirovich will remain in power with "90% support" for as long as he is alive, whatever anyone else might say.

Perhaps a new thread could be started for these issues, where the three adversaries in this odd windmilling dogfight without bullets could agree to thumb their noses at one another, and move on.

If RD2003 bothers people so much there's an ignore list. I honestly don't understand the need to draw out this animosity for no obvious reason, it's pretty much ruining a lot of discussion.

I think most sane people tuned out of this thread long ago.

It's unfortunate as there are a lot of issues to discuss, specificially with regard to the lack of consequences for Wagner and the oddball denail on UK televsiion by the Russian ambassador, that there were any government casuaties, two weeks after a Russian command aeroplane was videoed in a burning death spiral, as a result of being hit by a Wagner missile, during the uprising.

No one has a clue why Wagner are now in Belarus other than as a giant feint, psy-op, or the growing bellicosity of Poland and Lithuania in response to phantom Wagner "threats" towards the Suwaliki Gap. Then there's the issue of control of Russian interests in Africa, and the remarkable lack of consequences for Prigozhin, other than his disappearing from the social media airwaves since the uprising was halted. Plus Peskov's droopy moustache sweeping up the afters, pretty much admitting that democracy is a costly bureacratic exercise and that Vladimir Vladimirovich will remain in power with "90% support" for as long as he is alive, whatever anyone else might say.

Perhaps a new thread could be started for these issues, where the three adversaries in this odd windmilling dogfight without bullets could agree to thumb their noses at one another, and move on.

If RD2003 bothers people so much there's an ignore list. I honestly don't understand the need to draw out this animosity for no obvious reason, it's pretty much ruining a lot of discussion.
Fair points-but you'll see that my replies to those who prefer to focus on me as a poster and not the issues are usually accompanied by some kind of appeal to get back to the topic.

Since you have been banned from threads for constantly demonstrating your shortcomings, I'm not sure you have that much of a leg to stand on when it comes to complaining about people pointing out those shortcomings.

Do you read the threads? The abuse goes almost entirely one way. Doesn't bother me, I merely highlight the fact occasionally.

I fail to see where I've hidden my views. It would mean people like you wouldn't really have anything to reply to if I had, wouldn't it?

Anybody who cheers on war risks accusations of being a warmonger. It's just a term and you're entirely free to reject it
And, no doubt, "cheers on war" covers a conveniently broad front in your mind...

This pro-Ukraine article, the emphasis of which is on the perceived weakness of Putin after the so-called coup attempt, offers little comfort for those with a rosy view of Russia.

'The war has begun to change Russia, and profound internal shifts are likely underway—in Putin’s regime, in the elites’ perception of Putin, and in the public’s attitude toward the war. Indeed, the militarization of Russian life is empowering ultranationalist hard-liners in the elite, eclipsing an old guard of ideologues that the Russian public has begun to view as increasingly out of touch with the realities of the war. The perception of Putin’s weakening has further revealed the regime’s deep flaws: the habitual inclination of the authorities to underestimate domestic political risks, ignore long-term developments in favor of addressing immediate challenges, and refuse responsibility for the growing number of incidents on Russian territory linked to the war.

Prigozhin’s mutiny has pushed the situation to an extreme and may pave the way for the emergence of a more radicalized, hawkish, and ruthless state. Threats to the Kremlin, such as the Wagner rebellion, and the revelations of the government’s weakness, will not necessarily lead the public to turn against Putin and bring down the regime. Instead, these developments are transforming Russia into a far less cohesive entity, one rife with internal contradictions and conflicts, more volatile and lacking predictability. With so much pressure turning inward, the space for debate about the ongoing war in Ukraine may open somewhat, even if not for outright dissent. But at home, the order that Putin built will become more disorderly, and the world will have to contend with a more dangerous and unpredictable Russia.'

'Now, after the 2022 invasion of Ukraine, Russians hunger for geopolitical security. The people have delegated to Putin the right to deal with the West—which many Russians believe threatens their country’s very existence—even if that causes domestic turmoil owing to stringent sanctions and crackdowns on liberals. Polls show that since the war began, the percentage of Russians who overtly admire Putin has grown from eight to 19 percent, and 68 percent of Russians now say they want him to be reelected, a significant jump from 48 percent of Russians before the war. The war has also increased support for all official institutions: the cabinet, regional governors, parliament, and even the ruling party, United Russia
.'

It appears, meanwhile, that popular discontent with the Russian elite is taking far from fluffy forms:

'Ordinary Russians were struck by Prigozhin’s brazen confrontation with the Defense Ministry and his complaints that his troops were desperately short of ammunition. The public perceived him as a crusader against corruption and someone who dared to challenge the spoiled elites. A local eyewitness to Wagner’s seizure of Rostov-on-Don described Prigozhin in a Facebook post as “a simple, ordinary man going to have it out with the fat cats of every stripe and color,” a sentiment that explains the warm welcome Rostov residents gave Wagner fighters. That disgruntlement with the powers that be—“the fat cats”— to some extent explains the ease with which Prigozhin took control of the city.'

'Reactions to the drone attacks and incursions by paramilitaries into the Belgorod region in the spring are instructive. According to Levada polling, these events only fueled support for the war among Russians, with people becoming more hostile toward ordinary Ukrainians and anxious about the fate of the “special military operation.” The attacks did not in any way increase public desire for peace talks or a Russian withdrawal from Ukraine, a country that is perceived now more than ever as a threat to Russia’s existence. According to polling by Levada, Russians have started to conclude in recent months that the war will be long and drawn out. In May, 45 percent of respondents said they believed the war would last more than another year—the highest percentage since the conflict began (in May 2022, it was 21 percent). They are adapting to that reality and steeling themselves for tough times ahead; they are not seeking to halt the war, and antiwar sentiment remains at best subdued, at worst entirely suppressed.'

Good article. It doesn't go into Russia's ability to even fight a war whether led by Putin or a future new-hawk. Russia is getting weaker by the day and they can't replenish hardware fast enough and some things at all and won't be able to due to sanctions. It doesn't seem most Russians understand the true condition of their military and it really didn't appear Putin did either before the big invasion. So a pro-war sentiment makes sense despite a quarter of a million casualties. Reality will likely hit them, every Russian, very very hard should Ukraine make significant strides within the next year. Something will give.

Turn it around.

The UK is at war, and it's not going well. The Commander of 16 Bde has been tweeting every more vitriolic videos of him slagging off Ben Wallace,Tony Radakin and Patrick Sanders for their laziness, incompetence, and corruption.

Without an order to do so he moves half his force from it's wartime position at Weymouth to Army HQ at Andover where he has a televised screaming match with Jim Hockenhall and James Morris - he is armed, they are not, and the whole rank thing looks a lot more horizontal than it normally would.

He then drives, with half the Brigade, up the M3 towards London, while tweeting that he's going to 'clean the Augian stables', and before he gets to Staines his force has shot down half a dozen Apache attack helicopters that have tried to fire on him.

As they get to Thorpe park, Rishi Sunak goes on TV and calls him a traitor. he stops his force, and there's a deal. He retains command of 16 Bde, 16 Bde moves from Weymouth to Catterick, and 16 Bde moves from the command of 1 Division to 3 Division.

Sunak has lunch with him, and confirms that 16 Bde will continue to be the UK's primary 'our of Europe' land force.

Tell me that Sunak looks like an all powerful PM who deals ruthlessly with any threat to his authority, that commander 16 Bde has been destroyed as a quasi-political actor, and any thoughts amongst any of the other formation commanders to try anything similar have be squashed like a wasp under a flip-flop....
"Carry on Coup-ing"

It isn't anything to do with national character. It 's about material conditions and pragmatism.
Yeah. The Russian economy, and Russian society can't produce social groups that are supportive of the Western style combo of free markets + liberal democracy - at least, they can't produce such groups in sufficient numbers to make the combo stick. That's nothing to do with some innate national character, but like the man said, to do with material conditions, and the pragmatic choices they force on individuals.

There's also the added factor that the western-style middle classes, in their self-consciously intellectual form, shat the bed twice in less than a century, and in spectacular fashion. The fact that Lenin and Trotsky are seen as lunatics, while Djugashvili is the pragmatic manager who Made Russia Great Again underlines the consequences of that record.

I mean the west has been reduced to hailing dodgy blokes like Khodorkovsky and Navalny as Russia's great white hopes! At least the USSR had Sakharov.

Good article. It doesn't go into Russia's ability to even fight a war whether led by Putin or a future new-hawk. Russia is getting weaker by the day and they can't replenish hardware fast enough and some things at all and won't be able to due to sanctions. It doesn't seem most Russians understand the true condition of their military and it really didn't appear Putin did either before the big invasion. So a pro-war sentiment makes sense despite a quarter of a million casualties. Reality will likely hit them, every Russian, very very hard should Ukraine make significant strides within the next year. Something will give.
No significant Ukrainian strides soon, it seems...

US politician reports 'sobering' briefing on Ukrainian counteroffensive​

Senior US and western officials describe increasingly “sobering” assessments about Ukrainian forces’ ability to retake significant territory in their counteroffensive, according to CNN.

A senior western diplomat told CNN:

They’re still going to see, for the next couple of weeks, if there is a chance of making some progress. But for them to really make progress that would change the balance of this conflict, I think, it’s extremely, highly unlikely.
The US representative Mike Quigley, an Illinois Democrat who recently returned from meetings in Europe with US commanders training Ukrainian armed forces, said:

Our briefings are sobering. We’re reminded of the challenges they face.
This is the most difficult time of the war.

Senior US and western officials describe increasingly “sobering” assessments about Ukrainian forces’ ability to retake significant territory in their counteroffensive, according to CNN.

The US representative Mike Quigley, an Illinois Democrat who recently returned from meetings in Europe with US commanders training Ukrainian armed forces, said:
"When people say "I'm a bit concerned", it mean's they're very concerned, and when they say "I'm very concerned", it means they're absolutely desperate" - Robert De Niro in the Irishman.

You can certainly trust US politicians and "senior western diplomats" but I think they are responding, as many have, from the belief that the counteroffensive should have been more productive. Ukraine are making gains one treeline and trench at a time and are repelling counter attacks while Russia is finding fake military gear in their warehouses to outfit their poorly trained soldiers. Ukraine should have had the weapons a long time ago instead of a bit at a time. Now they're waiting on air power when it should already be there. What Ukraine are doing is actually remarkable considering. For anyone who's been paying attention to the war the whole thing has been sobering.

This pro-Ukraine article, the emphasis of which is on the perceived weakness of Putin after the so-called coup attempt, offers little comfort for those with a rosy view of Russia.

'The war has begun to change Russia, and profound internal shifts are likely underway—in Putin’s regime, in the elites’ perception of Putin, and in the public’s attitude toward the war. Indeed, the militarization of Russian life is empowering ultranationalist hard-liners in the elite, eclipsing an old guard of ideologues that the Russian public has begun to view as increasingly out of touch with the realities of the war. The perception of Putin’s weakening has further revealed the regime’s deep flaws: the habitual inclination of the authorities to underestimate domestic political risks, ignore long-term developments in favor of addressing immediate challenges, and refuse responsibility for the growing number of incidents on Russian territory linked to the war.

Prigozhin’s mutiny has pushed the situation to an extreme and may pave the way for the emergence of a more radicalized, hawkish, and ruthless state. Threats to the Kremlin, such as the Wagner rebellion, and the revelations of the government’s weakness, will not necessarily lead the public to turn against Putin and bring down the regime. Instead, these developments are transforming Russia into a far less cohesive entity, one rife with internal contradictions and conflicts, more volatile and lacking predictability. With so much pressure turning inward, the space for debate about the ongoing war in Ukraine may open somewhat, even if not for outright dissent. But at home, the order that Putin built will become more disorderly, and the world will have to contend with a more dangerous and unpredictable Russia.'

'Now, after the 2022 invasion of Ukraine, Russians hunger for geopolitical security. The people have delegated to Putin the right to deal with the West—which many Russians believe threatens their country’s very existence—even if that causes domestic turmoil owing to stringent sanctions and crackdowns on liberals. Polls show that since the war began, the percentage of Russians who overtly admire Putin has grown from eight to 19 percent, and 68 percent of Russians now say they want him to be reelected, a significant jump from 48 percent of Russians before the war. The war has also increased support for all official institutions: the cabinet, regional governors, parliament, and even the ruling party, United Russia
.'

It appears, meanwhile, that popular discontent with the Russian elite is taking far from fluffy forms:

'Ordinary Russians were struck by Prigozhin’s brazen confrontation with the Defense Ministry and his complaints that his troops were desperately short of ammunition. The public perceived him as a crusader against corruption and someone who dared to challenge the spoiled elites. A local eyewitness to Wagner’s seizure of Rostov-on-Don described Prigozhin in a Facebook post as “a simple, ordinary man going to have it out with the fat cats of every stripe and color,” a sentiment that explains the warm welcome Rostov residents gave Wagner fighters. That disgruntlement with the powers that be—“the fat cats”— to some extent explains the ease with which Prigozhin took control of the city.'

'Reactions to the drone attacks and incursions by paramilitaries into the Belgorod region in the spring are instructive. According to Levada polling, these events only fueled support for the war among Russians, with people becoming more hostile toward ordinary Ukrainians and anxious about the fate of the “special military operation.” The attacks did not in any way increase public desire for peace talks or a Russian withdrawal from Ukraine, a country that is perceived now more than ever as a threat to Russia’s existence. According to polling by Levada, Russians have started to conclude in recent months that the war will be long and drawn out. In May, 45 percent of respondents said they believed the war would last more than another year—the highest percentage since the conflict began (in May 2022, it was 21 percent). They are adapting to that reality and steeling themselves for tough times ahead; they are not seeking to halt the war, and antiwar sentiment remains at best subdued, at worst entirely suppressed.'
Also from that

"Many Western observers have suggested that these military troubles will push the elites and broader society to crave peace. Unfortunately, the reality is much bleaker: challenging situations tend to make Russia only more determined and brutal in waging its war and in quashing dissent at home.
According to Levada polling, these events only fueled support for the war among Russians, with people becoming more hostile toward ordinary Ukrainians and anxious about the fate of the “special military operation.” The attacks did not in any way increase public desire for peace talks or a Russian withdrawal from Ukraine, a country that is perceived now more than ever as a threat to Russia’s existence. According to polling by Levada, Russians have started to conclude in recent months that the war will be long and drawn out. In May, 45 percent of respondents said they believed the war would last more than another year—the highest percentage since the conflict began (in May 2022, it was 21 percent). They are adapting to that reality and steeling themselves for tough times ahead; they are not seeking to halt the war, and antiwar sentiment remains at best subdued, at worst entirely suppressed.

If anything, the country is becoming more committed to the fight—not in pursuit of imperial ambitions but out of a more desperate concern for its very survival. The faction advocating for a “resolute response” to the enemy is gaining new supporters, according to an op-ed in Russian Forbes by Denis Volkov, Levada’s director, interpreting the results of recent polls. "

------------
Its a grim future....Across Europe from London to Moscow the overall political tide is a right wing authoritarian and reactionary one, and there's no reason or sign to believe the momentum isn't going to continue in that direction...this war just adds yet more energy to that, on all sides.

Back
Top Bottom