Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Thatcher is dead

I went straight to the pub after work that day and had a few celebratory pints with friends. I remember one bloke we hadn't seen before storming out. :thumbs:

Attila wrote a song "Maggots 1, Maggie 0" which was hilarious, but after his own mother, and Thatcher both died of Altzeimer's (sp?) he never played it.

One of my memories of that day is a bunch of Millwall fans singing 'Maggie Thatcher she's our mate' to the tune of Harry Roberts. There was much collective merriment when their creativity failed at the next verse and one of them continued the refrain implying she killed coppers.

Still remember it, getting a text from my brother saying better get the champagne in and wondering who in the family was getting married/was pregnant/had a lottery win before finding out the news.

Stopped off at Wharf Chambers for a pint on the way home from work despite not having drunk booze since about 2001, tasted good and the bar was full of us grinning idiots :thumbs:

Still remember it, getting a text from my brother saying better get the champagne in and wondering who in the family was getting married/was pregnant/had a lottery win before finding out the news.

Stopped off at Wharf Chambers for a pint on the way home from work despite not having drunk booze since about 2001, tasted good and the bar was full of us grinning idiots :thumbs:
i remember the day thatcher resigned, i stopped in the pub for a half and heard the telly going 'this resignation will have grave repercussions for british politics' so i asked the barman who'd resigned and amended my order accordingly. several pints later i left the pub

My reaction to hearing the news is buried somewhere in this thread. I remember Mrs S. letting me know and me running around the workshop at work. It was the mass of workers leaving to get drunk at finishing time that stands out. I was working in the village next to Goldthorpe then.

Fighting the Euro Elections will literally destroy the Tory party. This is the revenge game the EU is playing.

The Eu might very well be after revenge, but the Tories are doing a great job making themselves look like a set of useless wankers so they should refuse European assistance :D

i remember the day thatcher resigned, i stopped in the pub for a half and heard the telly going 'this resignation will have grave repercussions for british politics' so i asked the barman who'd resigned and amended my order accordingly. several pints later i left the pub
I was working in Kings Cross and someone bought a copy of the Evening Standard in (they did an afternoon edition and evening edition at the time ) with a front page of Thatcher Resigns ! #goodtimes. That's how we got news then.

The death of what Thatcher stood for was what really interested me, and here is another mainstream sign of that:

Is the UK economy at a new moment of sea-change?

Forty years ago this week Margaret Thatcher came to power. At that time there was a sense of broken economy, broken politics, over-powerful trade unions and politicians who seemed only capable of managing decline.

Fast forward to now and we again see chaotic politics and widespread sense of economic disaffection. So are we facing another sea-change moment for the UK and its economy?

"No one is advocating the neoliberal economic policies that they were nine years ago. Even this government has gone quiet on it," says Labour's shadow Chancellor John McDonnell.

"Tax cuts for corporations and the rich, trickle-down economics, privatisation, outsourcing, the market will always know best - all of those elements are now being questioned. Why? Because people know the system hasn't worked for them."

Opposition politicians always say it's time for a change, but a surprising number of people across the political spectrum agree.

"It looks to me the message from the British public is: enough," says Jim O'Neill, who was a Conservative Treasury minister between 2015 and 2016.

Certainly there are moments in that article that deserve to be in the BBC down the pan thread, and it readily descends into shit about the gig economy but hey, 40 fucking years.

from beyond the grave :eek:

EEA0kp8XkAAlZZy

Back
Top Bottom