Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

TfL "cull of buses" consultation

I can’t lay my hands on the statistics that the number of bus users in London is multiples of the underground ridership.

Cross rail was a bargain…half the cost of Dido Harding’s test and trace
It stands to reason that the number is a multiple of the other number, fractional or otherwise

Reading this and it's no surprise that TFL is having to cut services.

Boris as Mayor along with Osborne the chancellor decided to phase out central government funding of TFL for day to day running of the service. So it's highly reliant on revenue from fares. (Unlike other major cities across the world.)

London is one of the few major world cities that don't get central government funding

Secondly this Government hasnt given all transport the same pandemic help. Other transport companies have had much more financial assistance.

So these bus route cuts come out of this. Going back to Boris as Mayor and now this government.

Its about undermining TFL.

The recommendation of the article is to give TFL 18 month deal , similar to that given to other rail companies, with no strings attached ( so no cuts to bus services)

Longer term to look at re in stating the Government grant it used to get.

Attachments

• tfl_funding_settlement_-_elly_baker_am.pdf
    269 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
If money is so tight why don’t they shorten the routes in question rather than dropping them altogether? The only one I’m familiar with goes by Fulham Broadway. Which is very well served by both buses and the Tube. So if the far end of the bus route serves a poorly served area, shorten the route to the nearest hub using small buses. You still save money and offer public transport to those at the head of the route.

The 205 is also up for elimination, which is insanity. It's a really heavily-used bus route and we need more of them, not less. And yes, it's slow, but getting rid of it would make the remaining buses even slower as more people have to alight and board those buses. Then you'd be more likely to have to wait just to get on a bus, and far less likely to get a seat or be able to take a pushchair on them. Really incredibly stupid idea.

I did fill in the consultation form, not that it's likely to mean anything.

If money is so tight why don’t they shorten the routes in question rather than dropping them altogether? The only one I’m familiar with goes by Fulham Broadway. Which is very well served by both buses and the Tube. So if the far end of the bus route serves a poorly served area, shorten the route to the nearest hub using small buses. You still save money and offer public transport to those at the head of the route.

Buses are cheaper, and more accessible for people in wheelchairs or who just can't use stairs, and they don't usually cover the exact same routes as the tube anyway.

Meanwhile in Spain, their government is funding free trains to curb inflation and alleviate rising living expenses.

Communism RIGHT THERE. Mark my words, it'll be all free love and holding the country to ransom next. Slippery slope. 😡

They've done that already for a load of buses round here (Hackney). For example, the 242 used to run from central London to Homerton Hospital. Then they cut the route so it was St Paul's (I think?) to Homerton, now it's Aldgate to Homerton Hospital. Now they want to cut it completely. It's a pretty well-used bus and the fact it serves a hospital in an area that relies heavily on public transport (low car ownership) would seem like reason enough to keep it but...

Report published

Summary:

Following careful consideration of the feedback received it has been decided that the
following bus routes will change. These changes include some modifications, and
four routes that will no longer run:
1. North London area – Edgware Road – bus routes 6 (24hr), 16, N16, and 23
(24hr) and new route N32
2. South London area – Horse ferry Road – bus routes 3, 77, 507 and C10
3. South London area – Waterloo – bus routes 59, 133, and 521
4. East London area – Fleet Street – bus routes 11, N11, 26, N26, 211 and 507
The four bus routes that will no longer run are: 332*, 507, 521 and the N16. It was
initially proposed that 22 bus routes would no longer run.
*Route 332 is not shown above. It will be renumbered as route 16. Route 16 will
follow the route of the 332 between Paddington and Brent Park, via Cricklewood. At
night, the N16 will be directly replaced by new route N32.
Changes to all other bus routes in scope of consultation and not listed above will not
be going ahead at this time. However, this will be kept under review as part of our
ongoing monitoring and continual review of the London bus network.

Relevant to Brixton area...

59 gets cut back to St Pauls and will no longer go as far as Euston

45 doesn't get cut and will continue to run

133 cut back to Holborn and will no longer go as far as Liverpool St

Looks like N133 is unaltered though.

Last edited:
This is a much better result than I'd expected. The one I'm most pleased about that was proposed to be cut is the 31 which goes from Camden to White City. I don't use it very often but getting from Finchley Road though Kilburn, Westbourne Park to Notting Hill Gate would be a nightmare without it.

If I were a wheel chair user I might be upset about losing a convenient accessible route between Brixton Hill and the Oval area to Euston (59). Seems a bit retrograde to me.

This is a much better result than I'd expected. The one I'm most pleased about that was proposed to be cut is the 31 which goes from Camden to White City. I don't use it very often but getting from Finchley Road though Kilburn, Westbourne Park to Notting Hill Gate would be a nightmare without it.
Not been that route in nearly 30 years but I'll have to give it a go again

Back
Top Bottom