Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

TfL charge issue

I finally got round to submitting my TfL claim last Wednesday and I’ve just been called about it - they accepted my explanation and will be refunding me over the next few days.

I think in future I will need to be careful I don’t get caught again - travelling with a mobile train ticket and then switching to contactless when I reach London as my natural response to any ticket barriers is “contactless”.

Thanks for all the help and for the amusing threads this question resurfaced :)

Some more weirdness yesterday - what’s the daily cap? Is it really this high?

8EAAD5C8-C874-4EEA-8F62-0D04CD347502.png

I took the tube / overground from Heathrow to New Cross Gate via zone 1, two buses and finally then tube from zone 1 to zone 3. All between 2pm and 8pm.

I think this is because I entered New Cross Gate and then left twenty minute later having not boarded a train as they were panic-inducingly full.

Is this something worth chasing up next week?

Look on your TfL account, if your card is registered, and you will see exactly what the charge is for.

If it's not, then register it, and it's much easier to see what has happened with charges and it's also easier to request refunds.

Pretty certain the card isn’t registered with TfL, but that’s something worth sorting as well next week :)

With Oyster, I think it stops charging once you hit a daily price cap, but I'm not quite sure how it works with contactless - they might sort out the daily capping at the end of each day (and the 'day' for TFL is 0430 to 0429, not midnight to midnight)

The daily cap depends whether any journeys were in 'peak' hours and what zones you've travelled in / through. This page may (or may not) help.

Never had this issue when I bought a paper travelcard :mad:

It’s little things like this and my last issue which are making me get fed up with visiting London

I think this is because I entered New Cross Gate and then left twenty minute later having not boarded a train as they were panic-inducingly full.

Is this something worth chasing up next week?

I missed that bit.

Yes, it's possible that doing that confused it. I'm not sure how it's supposed to deal with abandoned journeys like that.

If it doesn't sort itself out, then yes, you may need to make contact and try and sort it out.

I haven't moved on to contactless for TFL yet - I do the oyster card and it's registered, so if anything goes wrong, I can look at journey history and see what the heck's going on. (I think the only time I've had a problem was largely my fault as I used to have two Oyster cards - my bus operator staff pass worked on Underground but not national rail services, so I had to carry both when I was staying at mum-tat's in the corner of london that doesn't have underground, and I used the wrong one for one end of a journey once.)

They've charged you a max fare for entry and exit at the same station, give it 48 hours to see if they auto refund you, If you don't get the refund you'll either need to register the card online at tfl - this will bring up your recent journey historys (worth doing if you think you'll use the card regularly or on future trips) and you can adjust the non- journey yourself by selecting the option from a drop down menu, or you can call 03432221234 and get cs to refund you.

They've charged you a max fare for entry and exit at the same station, give it 48 hours to see if they auto refund you, If you don't get the refund you'll either need to register the card online at tfl - this will bring up your recent journey historys (worth doing if you think you'll use the card regularly or on future trips) and you can adjust the non- journey yourself by selecting the option from a drop down menu, or you can call 03432221234 and get cs to refund you.

I checked and I had a TfL account but didn’t appear to have registered the card I used. I have done that - I think - now.

TfL have now replied to say I’ll be getting a full refund :)

I realise I sound very “green” with these queries but 99% of my London travel was with a paper travelcard until the last year or so. Adjusting to contactless has proved a bit tricky

Off to London again this weekend. Let’s see if I can manage a trip without any ticketing / card charging issues :)

Back
Top Bottom