Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Terrorist attack NZ, 50 dead, many injured

I'm pleased to hear this (but fwiw, there is a bit in this about 'bogan' still being a culturally acceptable, classist slur, similar to 'chav', too. Would have to defer to ice-is-forming treefrog Balbi Poi E - it's a long time since I was there).

Fuck that's really got to me. They are so proud and together and strong. And then it's over and the reality hits immediately and there are tears in their eyes and all they can do is hug one another.

Yes. Bless those kids, with their anger and their sadness and their fucking outrage and their despair - and their expression of all of that. Very moving. I hope they feel heard.

This was reported on R4 this morning and they said "Jacinda Ardern has vowed never to speak the name of terrorist [insert name]" :facepalm:

I heard this on the radio this morning and was torn - I did appreciate the sentiment but I do also wonder how that works, legally.
Hasn't there always got to be lessons learned in how else these things are dealt with, though?

I'm pleased to hear this (but fwiw, there is a bit in this about 'bogan' still being a culturally acceptable, classist slur, similar to 'chav', too. Would have to defer to ice-is-forming treefrog Balbi Poi E - it's a long time since I was there).
I think the kid can be given some latitude given the circumstances:

Bogan (/ˈboʊɡən/ BOHG-ən) is Australian and New Zealand slang for a person whose speech, clothing, attitude and behaviour are considered unrefined or unsophisticated. Depending on the context, the term can be pejorative or self-deprecating

Learned yesterday one of my students has lost her grandfather and uncle in the attack. She's fine for the minute, but her poor father was in bits.

This site getting some flak for posting The land of the long white stain, highlighting the history of white supremacism in Aotearoa through to the modern day neo-nazis - including this bunch of charmers.

Part of this is because there's two strains of 'argument' going on which are trying to minimise fallout

1) He was Australian, so it's not something that exists here - being propagated by many of those who were against the UN Migration Compact and the main opposition party's resident junkyard dog Judith Collins.

2) He was a mad loner so little could be done about it - being put about by those freedom of speech purists who went up to bat for Lauren Southern and Stefan Molyneaux (who emphasise the birth rates replacement white supremacism in their dreadful speeches) when they got banned from using Auckland council venues to host their speaking tour, couldn't find a private venue that would host them and then refused to speak for free (lol lol lol)

Some huge arse covering going on too. National Party deleted a petition, said first it was deleted aggggess ago and then yesterday blamed it on a junior staffer. News websites taking down anti-islam stuff they've spewed over the last few years.

Without getting too sidetracked - bogans are +/- metalheads and that lot in the UK from what I can tell. Well, white bogans anyway.

You are absolutely right. Obviously not the major issue here but yes the way the term is used by a lot of people in Australia (and I presume NZ but don't have personal experience there) is nasty classists stuff.

You are absolutely right. Obviously not the major issue here but yes the way the term is used by a lot of people in Australia (and I presume NZ but don't have personal experience there) is nasty classists stuff.
On TVNZ one night I saw a whole evening of classic rock videos introduced as "a tribute to the V8 powered people known as Bogans". But I don't think this was intended in an entirely complimentary sense.

So mosques to be protected by extortionists, murderers, and drug traffickers? I'm not sure if that's the way forward. Socially, are they any better than right wing fucknuts?

The free school meal programmes that some of the Mongrel Mob and other gangs run for local kids would imply, yes. As well as those attempting to get their chapters drug free - and campaigning against child abuse and domestic violence.

The free school meal programmes that some of the Mongrel Mob and other gangs run for local kids would imply, yes. As well as those attempting to get their chapters drug free - and campaigning against child abuse and domestic violence.
Yeah, I read that earlier. Does this mean that they've completely turned away from the murder, gun running, and extortion they've been into since the 60s or is this a good bit of PR from elements of one or two chapters? Either way, is allowing outfits like MM involvement in social protection a good idea? As you know, they've been involved in some horrific shit over the years. This is akin to the Krays saying they'd turned over a new leaf and now want to be nice to people.

Can the supertanker do a burnout turn. No. Is it coming around? Yes.
Cool. Let's see how it goes. Only last year they were getting arrested for being New Zealand's primary methamphetamine suppliers and having gunfights in the street. Now they want to protect muslims. Good on 'em :thumbs:

Back
Top Bottom