Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Tell me about Spotify for my teenage daughter please.

How does the app know your subscription has ended if you have downloaded tunes and are using them offline?

Thirty days after your subscription ends - Or if you haven't checked-in online, it deletes everything incl downloads.

I found this when a bug prevented my renewal from going through this year. Lost everything, downloads, playlists, favourites etc..!

I found this when a bug prevented my renewal from going through this year. Lost everything, downloads, playlists, favourites etc..!
That's a bit odd. Downloads would undoubtedly disappear but stuff like favourites ands playlists follow me around from device to device. I have playlists I made on a work pc 8 years ago and they are available on a tablet I bought last week.

How about other services? For example, there's a 1 month free trial of Apple Music available.

Everyone I know with Apple Music seems to have a decidedly ambivalent relationship with it!

Amazon Music - I only have the free version but you can see what's on the paid and overall, despite Amazon's claim to be bigger, for the sort of stuff I listen to, its choice is far poorer than Spotify. Also, where Spotify's algorithm seems to always throw-up interesting new music or something in the "that's good, I haven't heard it for ages" category, Amazon's seems determined to throw-up everything I detest most strongly or never wanted to hear again - and their run-on from playlists always seems to degenerate to Neil Diamond, no matter what you started-off listening to! :eek::D

That's a bit odd. Downloads would undoubtedly disappear but stuff like favourites ands playlists follow me around from device to device. I have playlists I made on a work pc 8 years ago and they are available on a tablet I bought last week.

It might have been because my paid account was managed through my phone company (£3 a month cheaper) but when that expired, It reverted to my original account that I'd signed-up for when I had the free version, then the free trial. I think some of my oldest favourites remained, even though that artist's early albums were no longer on Spotify.

Some things - like friends seem to stay on one device as well. I have a different set on my PC/work Mac compared to my phone, although that's maybe because I never enabled or disabled that level of sharing in the account settings?

The auto-generated content returned in stages over a couple of weeks as well.

In the to and fro over the faulty renewal, I began to get the strong impression that their system was set-up to try and force you over to a paid account after your cheaper two years sub had finished and choose some other entertainment service instead. - but I persisted! :D

Last edited:
I thought Spotify was free if you are OK with adverts.

It is but as well as adverts, you have much more limited functionality - and the adverts are geolocated, so you do get them kicking-off when you are near any McDs/Starbucks/Costa etc.

Back
Top Bottom