Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

"Ted Heath with an Instagram account"

It's a crap insult, anyone under 40 probably has no idea who Heath was , and arguably who Lawson is (apart from being Nigella's dad ) . Who writes their speeches ? They need to sack their arses & get decent speech writers.
And anyone over 40 isn't completely sure what Instagram is either so...

<Awaits outraged responses from Urbans telling me they're all over Insta... ;)>

I’d love to hear a Partridge-like local radio DJ

“Tell us which current day politicians and celebrities are like ones from the 70s with a social media account”

Next up, it’s Curtis Stigers

Well I'm nearly 50 and I can just about remember power cuts and candles but not in any great detail (more because we thought it was fun....)
I remember power cuts and candles (and that it was fun), but I think that was from the late 70s rather than the early 70s. Heath was out of office in 74. You would have been under 2.

Reactions: Sue
I remember we had a collection on standby of jam jars with candles melt-stuck inside them. They were in the cupboard above the kettle.

Reactions: Sue
I remember me and my brother snaffling some candles and matches and trying to make toast. :hmm:

(No, it doesn't work. You just get big sooty marks on your bread. We couldn't even ask why it didn't work as then we'd have needed to own up to our candles/matches badness...)
We had a coal fire and a toasting fork! Sounds Dickensian now, but we thought it was exciting. This was before I’d even seen a digital watch, mind you.

As most people have got central heating, combi boilers and no fireplace, we'd be proper fucked now if we had full on power cuts like the 70s. Our neighbour, who worked for the council's direct works, had a generator in his back yard. Oh, how jealous we were, us with no telly, and playing monopoly by candlelight.

In truth, the novelty of cards and games was lovely.

Anyway, Rachel Reeves is Vlad the Impaler with an Instagram account.

I'm old enough to remember how they brought back the old manual tills out of storage for those shops that had hurricane lamps. (People could still do mental arithmetic, too.) Commerce would be totally fucked now without electricity.

Back
Top Bottom