Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

"Ted Heath with an Instagram account"

belboid

Exasperated, not angry.
Thus spake Rachel Reeves of Rishi Sunak, preceding those six words with 'he's not Nigel Lawson, he's...'

I was the same age when Heath was PM as RR was when Lawson was chancellor. And I've studied economics and British economic history. So I should have a clue what she meant, especially as the papers say it was part of a 'savaging' by her. But I have absolutely no clue whatsoever.

Can the hive mind of Urban shed light upon this peculiarity?

Last edited:
Thus spake Rachel Reeves, preceding those six words with 'he's not Nigel Lawson'

I was the same age when Heath was PM as RR was when Lawson was chancellor. And I've studied economics and British economic history. So I should have a clue what she meant, especially as the papers say it was part of a 'savaging' by her. But I have absolutely no clue whatsoever.

He's not Nigel Lawson,he's a very naughty boy.

Thus spake Rachel Reeves, preceding those six words with 'he's not Nigel Lawson'

I missed this bon mot. Who is “Ted Heath with an instagram account”?

I’m as much in the dark as I was at the outset of this quest.

Maybe we can play “who was chancellor when you were the same age as Rachel Reeves was when Nigel Lawson was chancellor?” (4-10).

For me it was Roy Jenkins, Iain MacLeod, Anthony Barber, Denis Healey.
Howe/Lawson - the Ream Team

I’m as much in the dark as I was at the outset of this quest.

Maybe we can play “who was chancellor when you were the same age as Rachel Reeves was when Nigel Lawson was chancellor?” (4-10).

For me it was Roy Jenkins, Iain MacLeod, Anthony Barber, Denis Healey.
Who?

Heath's lot have really gone down in history, haven't they?

I don’t think anyone can. That came out wrong. I mean the Reeves quote is nonsensical. It sounds like it might mean something but doesn’t.
I can only read the quote as meaning she thinks Lawson was good in some way. In some way that Heath wasn't. (And given Heath never was a C of the E, that bit's puzzling in itself.)

That it doesn't mean anything is fine. But I'm struggling to think what she might have thought that it could have meant. The tories aren't Thatcherite enough, presumably.

She said: today we've got an energy price crisis, record prices at the pumps, inflation is back... the truth is, he's not Nigel Lawson, he's Ted Heath with an instagram account

I guess all those things were hot issues during Heath's term in office, and as the whole harking back to the 70s thing has worked so well as an attack line against Labour for the last 40 years maybe she thinks it'll work against the tories too?

I can only read the quote as meaning she thinks Lawson was good in some way. In some way that Heath wasn't. (And given Heath never was a C of the E, that bit's puzzling in itself.)
I’m reading it that she thinks Dishi Rishi is a vacuous influencer…like, em, Ted Heath. Whereas Lawson was in charge during the height of Thatcherism, and has a daughter who is a TV cook?

No, lost the thread there.

She said: today we've got an energy price crisis, record prices at the pumps, inflation is back... the truth is, he's not Nigel Lawson, he's Ted Heath with an instagram account

I guess all those things were hot issues during Heath's term in office, and as the whole harking back to the 70s thing has worked so well as an attack line against Labour for the last 40 years maybe she thinks it'll work against the tories too?
It might if people knew what the fuck she was on about.

Ah ok that clears that bit up. She couldn't say 'Anthony Barber' cos everyone would have said 'Who?'

The analogy doesn't work and it's not funny anyway, but did she mean something like: RS aspires to be Nigel Lawson but he's just a bitter man like Ted Heath who had a vendetta against Thatcher? Plus he's always posting pictures of himself?
(I'm really struggling to make sense of it tbh.)

Back
Top Bottom