Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Taylor Swift mega-thread

It's a wobbly horizon alright but maybe if you were an emotional wreck, keeping things 180 degrees may not be a major priority...
Indeed, but I’d sort of assumed videos were made dispassionately and probably not live and hand-held.
Anyway, sorry.
Lovely song. I love Taylor Swift, particularly the recent stuff, but I’d never admit it on Urban in case I was ridiculed ;)

Well, if you like Taylor Swift you’ll love Megan O’Neill.

(Outrageous plug for a friend that has a new album out...warning: video also has some wobbly hand-held bits, but I think it’s intentional.

She does break-up songs really really well. I didn’t love the Evermore album straight away but it’s really grown on me. Her last two albums have been beautiful.
The Long Pond studio sessions was great and worth paying a month of Disney for.

Her Folklore album was produced by Jack Antonoff, who has done Lana Del Rey's last few.
He's great and like a handful of the great producers in music history, really brings up the material.
I'm not much of a fan of Taylor's pop stuff but will defo give Folklore a go, primarily cos of Antonoff

Also, if you like Folklore give Norman Fucking Rockwell by Lana Del Rey a go- its on the same kind of sound but with more literal references to Fucking

Some of the songs on Midnights are really hard hitting and emotionally raw.

‘Would’ve, Could’ve, Should’ve’ is kind of the reflective, grown up perspective on a really traumatic relationship for her after she wrote about it in Dear John shortly after it happened.

That’s my favourite on the album along with ‘Anti-Hero’ and ‘You’re on your own, kid’.

One of my favourite break up songs of hers is Death by a thousand cuts from Lover. I don’t know if it’s universally loved but I think it’s stunning.

She writes pain well but it’s also hopeful.

Sorry bit drunk and emotional after a gig tonight. 😄

Indeed, but I’d sort of assumed videos were made dispassionately and probably not live and hand-held.
Anyway, sorry.
Lovely song. I love Taylor Swift, particularly the recent stuff, but I’d never admit it on Urban in case I was ridiculed ;)
I was never that much into her (I had never listened to a whole album of hers, for example) but quite like some of her songs. However her last album is soooo good (Midnights, I know most of the songs off by heart)! I think it's a little bit to do with Jack Antonoff, who also does a lot of Lana Del Rey's albums...

edit: ah didn't realise he had produced previous albums of hers. Snow at the beach, with Lana on backing vocals, does actually sound like a Lana Del Rey song, rather than Taylor's. Also noticed she started swearing a lot in this album, something Lana has been doing for long. I know Taylor idolises Lana Del Rey, so I'm not dissing her tribute!

Karma (rumoured to be about Scooter Braun and/or Kanye) was my first favourite song when I first heard the album but now I think they are all very good.

Last edited:
edit: ah didn't realise he had produced previous albums of hers. Snow at the beach, with Lana on backing vocals, does actually sound like a Lana Del Rey song, rather than Taylor's. Also noticed she started swearing a lot in this album, something Lana has been doing for long. I know Taylor idolises Lana Del Rey, so I'm not dissing her tribute!
Taylor Swift has been swearing on her albums for some time. Someone even made a graph to illustrate it!

1681664547446.png

Taylor Swift has been swearing on her albums for some time. Someone even made a graph to illustrate it!

View attachment 370915
Like I said, I didn't really listen to her albums, but all her previous singles I knew didn't have any proper swearing. It does look like it took off in last 3 albums, ie since Antonoff? 😉

With Lana the swearing is a bit much sometimes, unnecessary and a bit forced...

What's with the idea that Taylor Swift is only good because of someone else?
That's not what I meant, but there's clearly a direct line in the sound and production between the two, and the link is him. I happen to like the way he produces, and I guess this was further proven by how much I like Midnights. I also like that it's a concept album.

Taylor said many times she's a huge Lana Del Rey fan. Lana swears a lot. Taylor has become more sweary, thanks for the graph, just proves my point regarding her swearing evolution. 😉

Antonoff has worked as a songwriter and record producer with various artists, including Taylor Swift, the 1975, Lorde, St. Vincent, Florence and the Machine, Lana Del Rey, Fifth Harmony, Kevin Abstract, Carly Rae Jepsen, the Chicks, Tegan and Sara and Clairo. Antonoff has often been credited with having a significant impact on the sound of contemporary popular music. From Wikipedia

Last edited:
I was never that much into her (I had never listened to a whole album of hers, for example) but quite like some of her songs. However her last album is soooo good (Midnights, I know most of the songs off by heart)! I think it's a little bit to do with Jack Antonoff, who also does a lot of Lana Del Rey's albums...

Karma (rumoured to be about Scooter Braun and/or Kanye) was my first favourite song when I first heard the album but now I think they are all very good.

We talked about this a while back, I really don’t agree that Taylor is coming across as some sort of Lana tribute.
There might be similarities because of producers and a slight shift in style but she’s always done that.

Also, her first albums were when she was really young, a country singer, living in Nashville which is pretty conservative. She talks about breaking out of that and discussing politics and finding a more grown up sound in the Miss Americana doc.

Midnights is a brilliant album.

We talked about this a while back, I really don’t agree that Taylor is coming across as some sort of Lana tribute.
There might be similarities because of producers and a slight shift in style but she’s always done that.

Also, her first albums were when she was really young, a country singer, living in Nashville which is pretty conservative. She talks about breaking out of that and discussing politics and finding a more grown up sound in the Miss Americana doc.

Snow on the beach IS a Lana tribute. If you didn't know it was Taylor you'd think it was a Lana song. I didn't say the album was.

And yes, Midnights is a brilliant album. I already said so, and I know it off by heart!

I love it.

Like I said, I didn't really listen to her albums, but all her previous singles I knew didn't have any proper swearing. It does look like it took off in last 3 albums, ie since Antonoff? 😉
Antonoff's been working with Swift since 1989 though (the album, not the year). I'm not sure that there's any correlation there - I would say that the biggest Antonoff correlation I can see is that LDR's gone to shit since she started working with him, but he's done albums with Swift, Lorde and St. Vincent that aren't boring so it's not as simple as him ruining everything he touches.

Antonoff's been working with Swift since 1989 though (the album, not the year). I'm not sure that there's any correlation there - I would say that the biggest Antonoff correlation I can see is that LDR's gone to shit since she started working with him, but he's done albums with Swift, Lorde and St. Vincent that aren't boring so it's not as simple as him ruining everything he touches.
Well, I'm certainly not going to spend my evening trying to prove something I said speculatively and for casual fun.

Not a tobyjug FACT! 😉

Also it's a matter of opinion whether Lana's albums "have gone to shit" - they might not have been "commercially" successful but that's another story. Lana has a new album out I'm about to get to know it. Reception has been very good so far. "Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd"...

Anyway, enough from my derailment... sorry!

I’m going, twice. Although currently having a panic as tickets bought on husband’s card and he might have to be there. 😩

The Speak Now (Cursed Version) made me laugh.

New Taylor Swift vinyl mispressed with rare ’90s electronic compilation

A handful of copies her new album were accidentally pressed with Cabaret Voltaire and similar moody 90s electronica instead of Taylor Swift's music.

“My kids in Australia told me about it,” says Stephen Mallinder, co-founder of Cabaret Voltaire. “They said, ‘Dad, you’re on a Taylor Swift record and this girl looks really distraught about it’.”

:D

I’m going, twice. Although currently having a panic as tickets bought on husband’s card and he might have to be there. 😩
I'd love to go. I really really like the Folklore and Evermore albums - they've soundtracked my disintegrating love life and feel very personal - so it might be odd to hear those songs being belted out by thousands in the EnormoDome!

What's with the idea that Taylor Swift is only good because of someone else?
while I agree it doesn't require someone else... it's clear acts like Taylor Swift don't operate on their own. look at the credits - the music and lyrics are often credited to multiple people. so I similarly find the idea that fans think Taylor Swift/AN Other Big Act is responsible for the entirety of each track/album similarly frustrating.
and on a side note, like so much music now, the personality/image is now so much more important to the 'fandom' than the actual music anyway.

while I agree it doesn't require someone else... it's clear acts like Taylor Swift don't operate on their own. look at the credits - the music and lyrics are often credited to multiple people. so I similarly find the idea that fans think Taylor Swift/AN Other Big Act is responsible for the entirety of each track/album similarly frustrating.
and on a side note, like so much music now, the personality/image is now so much more important to the 'fandom' than the actual music anyway.
She's written loads of songs on her own. Over a hundred according to this site:

Officially, Swift had been credited as the sole writer of 114 songs as of 2023. She has co-writing credit for all other songs on her albums, and has since released Midnights, a 2022 album with (depending on the version) up to 23 tracks, as well as Speak Now (Taylor's Version) with six new tracks from the vault.

That brings the grand total of Swift-credited songs to a solid 200.

Back
Top Bottom