Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Taylor Swift mega-thread

I’ve listened 1.5 times through so far. There’s been a lot of 😳.
Like it so far but no strong opinion on favourites yet. The smallest man who ever lived isn’t holding back.

I bought a TTPD necklace from the new merch and wondering when my pre-orders will come too.

On first listen, the new album is more a melancholy Evermore type affair with some breakup bonus anger. It sounds great.

And who would have thought obscure Scottish synth-poppers The Blue Nile would get namechecked in a Blue Nile song. I imagine it'll do wonders for the band as curious Swift fans look then up.

"Drowning in the Blue Nile, He sent me Downtown Lights, I hadn’t heard it in a while

Her lyric writing remains incredibly strong too:

Lovers spend years denying what’s ill fated
Resentment rotting away, galaxies we created
Tried wishing on comets, tried dimming the shine
Tried to orbit his planet / Some stars never align
And in one conversation, I tore down the whole sky.”

I'd expect her lyrics to get better as she gets older. I think her songs are lyric driven, if that makes sense, not that they always come first in the process because it's not that linear, and I know she has a creative team, but like they propel the music. She's an incredible song writer.

I've listened to it a few times now, I really like it.

On first listen, the new album is more a melancholy Evermore type affair with some breakup bonus anger. It sounds great.

And who would have thought obscure Scottish synth-poppers The Blue Nile would get namechecked in a Blue Nile song. I imagine it'll do wonders for the band as curious Swift fans look then up.

excellent

Ratty Healy’s favourite band apparently.

Not impressed by the latest album - only listened once though. I think I have TS fatigue. It all sounds the same. :( (I must confess I'm currently Raye obsessed and Taylor Swift just isn't doing it for me right now)

It takes a few listens to separate them out.

I'm struggling to identify faves. My youngest likes I Can Do It With a Broken Heart and Clara Bow. I also like The Smallest Man Who Ever Lived, Down Bad and So Long, London.

And on the extras, again hard to say, So High School, I Hate it Here, The Prophecy. Peter is lovely.

I still can't get over the fact the biggest pop star on the planet has namechecked both the band and one of the songs of a truly wonderful, but fairly obscure 80s band from Glasgow.

Swift is playing Edinburgh in June and wildly unlikely though it is, the notion of the extremely shy and modest Paul Buchanan joining her on the glitzy enormo-stage would be something to behold!

Flicked past an old performance on Jools Holland on BBC 2 last night. She was hitting more bum notes than an X Factor audition.

Not impressed by the latest album - only listened once though. I think I have TS fatigue. It all sounds the same. :( (I must confess I'm currently Raye obsessed and Taylor Swift just isn't doing it for me right now)
Tried again yesterday, gave up after 6 songs and put Midnights on :D I was driving, my granddaugther was at the back, she had similar feelings. I don't know, for that kind of song-writer, lyric driven, paint a picture music, I much much prefer Lana Del Rey. She does it much better IMO. Well, it speaks to me more anyway.

Also the whole frenzy of trying to guess which ex is this about, oh, this one must be about Kim Kardashian, blah blah - is getting a little old.

Tried again yesterday, gave up after 6 songs and put Midnights on :D I was driving, my granddaugther was at the back, she had similar feelings. I don't know, for that kind of song-writer, lyric driven, paint a picture music, I much much prefer Lana Del Rey. She does it much better IMO. Well, it speaks to me more anyway.

Also the whole frenzy of trying to guess which ex is this about, oh, this one must be about Kim Kardashian, blah blah - is getting a little old.

I don't like Lana Del Ray.

I've been listening to this album on my airpods and paying much more attention to the lyrics than I do usually when I listen in the car. I don't like her lyrics because they speak to me as such, I'm in my fifties and I've never been especially into relationship lyrics anyway, but she is so clever I don't care about that, I enjoy the craft ( and the tunes).

I don't like Lana Del Ray.

I've been listening to this album on my airpods and paying much more attention to the lyrics than I do usually when I listen in the car. I don't like her lyrics because they speak to me as such, I'm in my fifties and I've never been especially into relationship lyrics anyway, but she is so clever I don't care about that, I enjoy the craft ( and the tunes).
In my 50s too. I meant it speaks to me more musically and lyrically. I love Midnights but not connecting with this. Taylor is a big Lana fan, for the record 😉

But all the songs sound similar in this album (melody wise)? Or is it me? edit: I do get that some albums take a few listens to click - so maybe it's that.

Last edited:
In my 50s too. I meant it speaks to me more musically and lyrically. I love Midnights but not connecting with this. Taylor is a big Lana fan, for the record 😉

But all the songs sound similar in this album (melody wise)? Or is it me?

Yeh, I know we're a similar age. I suppose I'm pointing out that I don't love her lyrics because they evoke something emotional beyond the feeling in the song itself. I do like her intensity, and having seen her in docs making songs I have that in mind now when I listen to her, how it's put together before it's all polished up (real nice).

I think if you produce so many new songs there's going to be some similarities and overlap, but like I said in an earlier post, I think it needs a few listens to separate it all out.

I still don't like Lana :D

blimey, good job I'm anonymous here :eek:

Edit 22 Apr:
ah, had time to read the full review... Bingo!
... I won’t even get into the sonics, because Antonoff just rewrites the same soulless patterns every time....
(ok, so I wasn't dreaming about the sameness of the actual music)
[...] So she sings like Lana Del Rey and writes meta-self-referential songs about looking like Stevie Nicks.

And another one making similar comparisons...
Lana Del Rey’s aesthetic has been recognizable since the early 2010s. Her music includes drug use, alcoholism, sex, bad boys, old men, crime, and all of the Americana grittiness you could ask for. And despite Lana’s notable influence, she’s still touted as an underdog, indie-darling whose aesthetic is a little too “edgy” for the mainstream. But, add some popstar flair, and some of Taylor’s storytelling, and you’ve got something that mainstream music listeners will love.

Last edited:
blimey, good job I'm anonymous here :eek:

Edit 22 Apr:
ah, had time to read the full review... Bingo!

(ok, so I wasn't dreaming about the sameness of the actual music)

Well, that's just a subjective view, like yours. It doesn't make it more valid just because a critic agrees with you.

I read it too, there were probably some fair points. I went back and listened to the album again. And I still like it.

I've been feeling a bit anxious about the Eras concert, my 13 yr old is autistic and I'm worried also for myself that it will be overwhelming. I just spoke to the disabilities team at Anfield and they were lovely, any problems just talk to the lead stewards, yes she can take her own water bottle in just explain its for comfort etc. I'm so glad we got tickets there, I will be good to be in Liverpool with some familiarity on such a big occasion (my family are from there).

I don't think I've ever heard anything by Taylor Swift. I might give this album a listen out of curiosity....

I recall the song about never getting back together, like ever. One of my daughters played it a lot. Neither of them showed any interest in her subsequently, and I had vaguely assumed that she had faded without trace, then suddenly in the last six months newspapers have started treating her as a deeply significant cultural icon.

I recall the song about never getting back together, like ever. One of my daughters played it a lot. Neither of them showed any interest in her subsequently, and I had vaguely assumed that she had faded without trace, then suddenly in the last six months newspapers have started treating her as a deeply significant cultural icon.

My daughter reminded me that I did know the tune Shake it Off - that one was unavoidable....

A colleague of mine recently paid a ludicrous amount of money to fly a very long distance to see her play a show - she talked as if this tour was to be a defining moment of the century and felt it was worth any sum of money to ensure she could say she was there....

A colleague of mine recently paid a ludicrous amount of money to fly a very long distance to see her play a show - she talked as if this tour was to be a defining moment of the century and felt it was worth any sum of money to ensure she could say she was there....
I do feel a bit like this tbh...

My daughter reminded me that I did know the tune Shake it Off - that one was unavoidable....

It is a defining moment for many many people. The show is an incredible production and achievement. People probably thought she was mad and she probably is. And for her fans it’s a chance to see her cover her whole career.

I saw her last tour and it was one of the best nights of my life, sincerely. I’ve seen my favourite bands in little venues and festivals and have never wanted to do a stadium show before this.

Back
Top Bottom