Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Tax return blues - would a bit of solidarity help?

Done mine - and I think they owe me money this time. Covers my final period of self employment so end of an era, and I can finally cancel FreeAgent. So next year, can I just ignore it? Or are you trapped in the annual system now regardless?

Done mine - and I think they owe me money this time. Covers my final period of self employment so end of an era, and I can finally cancel FreeAgent. So next year, can I just ignore it? Or are you trapped in the annual system now regardless?
Best check with the tax man. You may well not need to, but if the computer sends you a "Notice to deliver a tax return", best fill it in and file it. Whether or not you really need to will depend on your new circumstances. Anyone with a tax liability needs to fill in a tax return regardless of whether HMRC ask for one.

my fairly unspectacular phase of self employment ended about 10 years ago - and i've not done a tax return the last few years.

i told them i was no longer self employed, and was in a PAYE job and that was my only job, and they said i didn't need to do tax returns any more - i can't remember if i had to do one for the first year i was back in PAYE, but it didn't go on indefinitely.

Did you make sure to fill in the 'trading ceased' bit? Apart from that, like everyone says, if you get a notice to file, you must file.

Some good news ?

HMRC actually being sensible [-ish] for once, although they do say they want everything / everybody filing on-line "sometime" in the future ...
It smacks a bit of "let's announce this and if too many people complain change our minds quickly" but hey ho.

HMRC are badly under-resourced. I get the impression that (most) people working there are doing their best, but the system is focked.

HMRC are badly under-resourced. I get the impression that (most) people working there are doing their best, but the system is focked.

they did have a recruitment campaign a few months ago for people to come and answer the phones and soak up abuse assist people with their tax enquiries.

i was having a bit of a bad patch, and did get as far as thinking about applying (would have been a 'give up and just count down the years to retirement' sort of job, but acceptable pay, a decent pension scheme, and a way of moving back to s london) but ended up deciding against it.

Elpenor - yeah, I think that as well.

Just wish that there had been enough whinging for them to have kept at least some of the public facing offices open ...

Trouble with on-line / automated stuff is that not everybody fits into neat pigeonholes !
Not to mention the ND and others that just can't cope with 'puters.

Elpenor - yeah, I think that as well.

Just wish that there had been enough whinging for them to have kept at least some of the public facing offices open ...

Trouble with on-line / automated stuff is that not everybody fits into neat pigeonholes !
Not to mention the ND and others that just can't cope with 'puters.
My first ever full time job as a 16 year old in the late 80s was working in the local tax office (endlessly filing documents and opening the post in a special bomb proof room as the most disposable member of staff). There must have been 50 staff in that building in just one town and the counter was rammed all day every day. None of this exists any more, you're lucky if you get a visit from a mobile enquiries van or something. Obviously things have changed enormously since then but the fact you can't easily contact this basic arm of the state within your community seems a big loss to me.

Chap I used to know was a Tax Inspector - he concentrated on people who were having difficulty with any complications. He didn't like very rich people / companies evading paying what they should but he was always telling people that they should claim for this allowance or that exemption.

Some good news ?

HMRC actually being sensible [-ish] for once, although they do say they want everything / everybody filing on-line "sometime" in the future ...
Jesus, where they going to close the self assessment helpline? That would be horrific. I've three times been in a sticky situation through no fault of my own, that I would have had zero way of knowing how to get out of. . . . even the HMRC had to look it up. The helpline was still a ball ache, but we got through it. They also explained to me that I would be not be covered if I did not follow their instructions to the letter.

They owe me a few hundred pounds this year. But rather than just take bank details from me, trusting who I am because I'm logged into their website with two factor authentication, I have to go through some whole rigmarole of identity checks to get the cash. No idea where my bloody passport is.

So I thought I would get a jumpstart on filling in this year's self assessment.

I was unemployed for all but two weeks of 2023. But for six months I kept afloat (barely) financially through claiming on my personal unemployment insurance policy.

I'm not sure if I have to declare that income, I've checked the HMRC guidance and it says to declare if there are 'payments from a personal insurance policy for sickness (no) or disability (no)'. Nothing about unemployment insurance.

Any thoughts, anybody?

So I thought I would get a jumpstart on filling in this year's self assessment.

I was unemployed for all but two weeks of 2023. But for six months I kept afloat (barely) financially through claiming on my personal unemployment insurance policy.

I'm not sure if I have to declare that income, I've checked the HMRC guidance and it says to declare if there are 'payments from a personal insurance policy for sickness (no) or disability (no)'. Nothing about unemployment insurance.

Any thoughts, anybody?

There is a difference between what must be declared and what is taxable; sickness and unemployment insurance payouts from policies paid for with taxed income definitely aren’t taxable. So it shouldn’t make any odds for you to declare it.

There is a difference between what must be declared and what is taxable; sickness and unemployment insurance payouts from policies paid for with taxed income definitely aren’t taxable. So it shouldn’t make any odds for you to declare it.
Thanks, that's helpful. I appreciate the reply.

I should probably do mine actually. It's not like I have got any bloody work. I reckon I'll be getting a nice payment in advance rebate next year.

Back
Top Bottom