Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Tax return blues - would a bit of solidarity help?

help please tax thread!

do i want to voluntarily pay my class 2 national insurance contributions? i've been out of the tax and benefit systems for years so I'm guessing my chance to top all the way back up is screwed anyway?

eta: no worries, my bank card is currently awol - unless hmrc accepts paypal i don't think i'd be able to pay anyway. so done. dusted. whisky :thumbs:
You dont know your card details by heart!!!!!?

Tried to log in. My account is no longer recognised.

Oh they have a live chat. I typed my query up in detail and pressed submit.

e7.jpg

Well, thanks for that response HMRC... should I print it or save it?

Thanks, turns out it was their "we locked you out for three hours because you used an old password but we didn't tell you that, instead we made it look like you never existed" and their live chat was "very busy at the moment".

Just done mine and it was fairly painless. Although the website is broken at the moment, so I can't submit the calculation :facepalm:

Thankfully it's saved it, so I just need to go back and submit it/pay before the end of the month.

Oh crap. This thread is coming back to bite me: this time I've done nowt yet and unlike when I started it in 2015, I've got a full, busy year's worth of stuff to sort out. :eek:

reluctant thread-bump with my fingers in my ears cos hmrc keep emailing me :oops::D

black-books-tax-650x345.jpg

I feel mildly smug that I've acquired an accountant this year (to do my CT as well as personal stuff). Given that I paid over £800 in fees last year (missed confirmation statement return second year in a row, CT late x2 and second penalties), he'll pay for himself, pretty much, never mind the reduced stress! Hugs for all those persevering themselves!

Usually pretty on it, but currently seem to be pushing this job to the back of my mind and doing everything but my TR at the moment. I have kind of thrashed out the bones of it though and Ive actually saved my tax in a separate account this year, just got to leave it to critical and then bash it out in an afternoon and wonder what the fuss was about and why I left it so late

I've got things set up so that the money I'll need is automatically set aside each month, so I'm not worried about the payment itself - just depressed about having to fill in the form. I never learn - every year, the same bits of it catch me out and have me scrabbling about unable to find the info I need.

Done the bastard.

There really should be a way of storing up goodwill with the HMRC for doing things like declaring £0.58 earned interest, so that if they identify a gaping hole or two in your accounting further down the line they have to be a bit more lenient about it.

reluctant thread-bump with my fingers in my ears cos hmrc keep emailing me :oops::D

black-books-tax-650x345.jpg
This new filing system. It's very closely modelled on the old one isn't it?

I do my taxes every year, despite not having earnt any money self-employed for about 5 years, because I don't know how to tell HMRC that I don't earn any money self-employed anymore. Just about to do them now. Wish me luck.

I'm just looking in my file. I've actually got envelopes labelled "other" and my blood is running cold as I realise that I don't have my P60 from last year.

Right.
Did an complicated invoice this morning, so I am leaving the tax return for tomorrow. I already need another bath.

I'm sure this is probably a stupid question but why do people do tax returns in January instead of at the end of the last financial year?
You are able to do and submit your tax return from a couple of months after the financial year ends (June-ish, I think). But you don't have to until the end of the following January. No sane person would do it until they really have to.

I'm sure this is probably a stupid question but why do people do tax returns in January instead of at the end of the last financial year?
:mad: Because I am an idiot with no self discipline and would rather do pretty much anything than this (including defrost freezer, sort through sock drawer, google pointless information about anything under the sun) so it gets put off until there is no choice left. HTH.

You are able to do and submit your tax return from a couple of months after the financial year ends (June-ish, I think). But you don't have to until the end of the following January. No sane person would do it until they really have to.

I think any sane person would do it immediately, while it's all fresh in your mind and you don't have another 9 months' records to push aside to find the details, and to get it out of the way as soon as possible.

I have never done that.

Last year was the first time I had to do one and I did it as soon as I got a notification in June as I was worried about doing it so wanted it out of the way. I would be too scared to leave it hanging over me.

Why?

I think any sane person would do it immediately, while it's all fresh in your mind and you don't have another 9 months' records to push aside to find the details, and to get it out of the way as soon as possible.

I have never done that.
I think i did mine before the end of april last year!

Back
Top Bottom