Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Study on what makes Indian food taste so good

JimW

支那暗杀团
As reported by Vice but seems there's some science behind it: There's a Scientific Reason Why Indian Food Is So Delicious
While many Western cuisines attempt to pair ingredients that share "flavor compounds"—the minute timbres that indicate something like types of sweetness or sourness or spiciness—Indian food's signature is that it combines ingredients that don't share these qualities at all.
"We study food pairing in recipes of Indian cuisine to show that, in contrast to positive food pairing reported in some Western cuisines, Indian cuisine has a strong signature of negative food pairing," the researchers wrote. "[The] more the extent of flavor-sharing between any two ingredients, [the] lesser their co-occurrence."

Love indian food and my curries. Had one yesterday to cool me down in the heat. Sag/ cauliflower and chicken jalfrezi. Bloody handsome it was and there's some left over which will go over a plate of chips later this evening.

there was a thing in the paper about how traditional british curry houses have been shutting down ... i would eat more indian food takeaway if it was less fatty and swimming in oils

It is if it is made by Indian people to be eaten by Indian people.

The British idea of curry is far far too hot for me.
Mrs LR says that the food in India varies widely by region, and that some areas use chilli but others don’t. She says the biggest difference is that Indian food in the UK is much sweeter.

It’s interesting to remember that chilli and tomato come from the Americas, and so like everywhere else in the “Old World” (Italy for example), Indian cuisine didn’t have either until the “modern” period.

Mrs LR says that the food in India varies widely by region, and that some areas use chilli but others don’t.
This is true. A chef explained to me when after odering a jalfrezi i found it much milder that the others i had elsewhere. Was explained that the heat and chilli content changes depending on wheter it's northern or southern India. One Jalfrezi nearly blew my head off whilst the next one i had elsewhere was much milder and sweeter. I think the Jalfrezi has some historic connection to Portugal.

there was a thing in the paper about how traditional british curry houses have been shutting down ... i would eat more indian food takeaway if it was less fatty and swimming in oils

If "traditional" curry houses are closing down it is because their food is generally objectively bad.

Swimming in oil, made with cheap, nasty meat, badly made in general - the ones who obviously have 1 basic sauce that they add things to for the different dishes which then aren't really different at all.

As a nation we have become a lot more sophisticated in our food knowledge and what we cook at home. I rarely eat in Indian restaurants or get Indian takeaway these days as I can cook far better food myself than what's on offer at most places. Certainly better than any standard takeaway place.

They need to up their game as the article says.

Anyone get the science bit about negative as opposed to positive flavour pairings? Think I know what they mean but could enjoy an expanded explanation.

Back
Top Bottom