Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Strike!

Any updates on industrial disputes in the care industry
The biggest I'm aware of atm is Sage through UVW - latest I've seen in this: “I am proud that I have not remained silent and have raised my voice for dignity”, the Sage workers’ struggle to defend their human rights
Think this video might have more recent updates but not watched it myself:

I know Unison also organises in the sector, the latest I've seen is a Supreme Court case over minimum wage and sleep shifts, which seems to have not gone well:

Update on the British Gas workers dispute here:

The stakes here are now massive. A victory for the workers and their union in this dispute would represent a decisive win against dismissal and re-engagement tactics by employers - which is rocketing with Covid providing the justification for their attacks. The TUC have reported that nearly 1 in 10 workers have been told to re-apply for their jobs on worse terms and conditions or face the sack and 25% of workers say their working terms, such as pay or hours, have been downgraded since first lockdown in March.

Facebook live event next Wednesday:
Join a very special episode of Comrades featuring trade unionists from Massachusetts Nurses Association, NHS 15 pay campaign and others to be announced. Our unique organising call will bring together the struggles of healthcare workers and how the organised whilst protecting our societies during this pandemic. We will also discuss the future and campaigns that unionists are involved in. Do not miss out.

News just in from PCS : The DVLA strike ballot that closed yesterday (Thursday 11th March) has announced its result -- and it's positive ... :)
(apart from the indifferent turn-out :hmm:, which to me suggests the vote should have been earlier, when the workplace safety issues had much bigger currency/salience)

There's talk of Zoom meetings very soon to decide next exact move ...... :cool:
Apparently that next move has been decided: PCS members at DVLA to strike 6-9 April
1616535893989.png

hitmouse : This news was passed to me today by 'friends' a bit belatedly, but four days is quite a sound/solid strike :thumbs: ..... given that people were expecting just a one-day token thing.

I'm half-guessing that the threat of this strike could lead to a settlement, given that according to that PCS page, they're currently involved in 'intensive talks' with Management.

We'll see, though. An official picket line would be more fun for the activists ... ;) ;) :thumbs:

Unite members at Go Ahead NW’s Queen’s Road bus garage have been on indefinite strike since Sunday 28 February 2021 against #fireandrehire being used to impose cuts to pay, sick pay, and many other detrimental changes such as five hours driving without leaving the cab to stretch or use a toilet. We all have a stake in the strike’s success: to counter the scourge of #fireandrehire, to prevent inadequate sick pay risking public health in a pandemic, and to avoid a race to the bottom across the transport industry.

Go North West are trying to break the strike by outsourcing services to companies including APH, Edwards coaches, Belle Vue, Selwyns, Tyrers, Travellers Choice, Red Rose Travel, Bullocks, Connexions Buses, MP Travel, Regalway (Viking), Vision Coaches, Atlantic Travel, Mostonian 2000 Coaches and Coach Travel Solutions. Many of the scab services are using vehicles which don’t meet accessibility standards and there have been examples of buses running with too many passengers to be Covid safe and of dangerous driving.

Saturday 3 April will be a major day to show your solidarity with the strike:

• At 2pm the People’s Cavalcade leaves East Didsbury Park and Ride to drive through Manchester to the Queen’s Road garage
  • At 3:15pm once the cavalcade has arrived there will be a rally and march – bring your banners, flags, family and friends. We will assemble on Boyle Street opposite the Museum of Transport (M8 8UW), next to the bus garage (map).

The rally and march are legal following the restoration of the protest exemption in the Coronavirus Regulations. Look out for your safety and that of other participants by observing the precautions in the Covid Risk Assessment. In particular, do not attend if you have coronavirus symptoms or should be isolating, follow guidance on safe travel to get there, wear a face covering and observe 2 metre distancing if possible, avoid physical contact and wash or sanitise hands frequently.

Also, short little article on the April 7 Deliveroo strike: Deliveroo workers to strike over exploitative practices and low pay

the GMB can't be trusted (what a surprise)

DVLA strike happening this week, as noted by hitmouse above :cool:

Word reaches me locally though, that without any picket line AFAIK (Covid reasons), there are a significant minority still going into work .... am trying to investigate that ...... but for now (with beer!! :) ), SCABS! needs to be shouted! :mad:

Last edited:
DVLA strike happening this week, as noted by hitmouse above :cool:

Word reaches me locally though, that without any picket line AFAIK (Covid reasons), there are a significant minority still going into work .... am trying to investigate that ...... but for now (with beer!! :) ), SCABS! needs to be shouted! :mad:
Is DVLA work mostly done in a particular location rather than being WFH at the moment? God knows how you do picketing if people are working from home. Anyway, if anyone fancies it apparently there's a strike rally tomorrow lunchtime: PCS DVLA Strike Rally

hitmouse : There's two big DVLA locations in Swansea -- the major one is the 3,000/4,000-or-so-people workplace up the hill.

Call Centre down the hill (site of the major tranche of Covid outbreaks back early in the year) has maybe 2,000??
My numbers for both sites are inexact :oops:

Lots of WFH people nowadays as well, tbf.

Thanks for the link about the support rally :cool: :) ... I can see myself getting along ..... ;)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom