Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Strike!

6000 in Sheffield for the demo, 7000 in Leeds.

Aff1-OICIAMyW63.jpg:large

Cameron claims the strike is 'something of a damp squib' in PMQs. Well, not up here it's not. All schools closed in 23 council areas, for example.

this is from the march in Edinburgh.

_57031528_edin.jpg
Stirling
Website - Stirling Council
Twitter - @StirlingCouncil

All council-run nurseries, primary and secondary schools closed to pupils.
Ensure critical and emergency services available to vulnerable people.
All other council services restricted or suspended.

Oh yeah - I went along to support a picket in Balham - alas, they were hoofing it off to a meeting up in town, but gave 'em my support etc etc.

Just heard from a mate of mine in Tower Hamlets - excellent turn out there for the strike :)

Went with this as my reply - a bit cack handed but hope it gets the point across.

"I don't know the figures but if the government paid a fair settlement to the millions of, often low paid, workers, who are striking then maybe no one would need to stay at home. And while it may be inconvenient to some for one day, or indeed lose the economy some money for one day, the long term effects of current government policy will, I feel, be worse for many more people. Combined collective action and solidarity with each other for the long term interest is, for me, an important aspect of this days action"
A friend has just commented this on my facebook status

"Whilst I'm certainly not defending bankers & politicians, how many millions have been wiped off the UK economy today because Joe Public, through no fault of his own, has had to stay at home."

Not sure how to respond really, will have a think. Any input gratefully received!

My lovely, lovely husband also commented :):)

"Probably as many as were lost from the unexpected bank holiday for the Royal Wedding?"

A friend has just commented this on my facebook status

"Whilst I'm certainly not defending bankers & politicians, how many millions have been wiped off the UK economy today because Joe Public, through no fault of his own, has had to stay at home."

Not sure how to respond really, will have a think. Any input gratefully received!

"About 79 billion, five hundred million pounds less than the day the bankers dicked us, you muppet" seems appropriate.

I'm not sure I get where you're coming from tbh. It wasn't as if he was crossing the line to scab; he went to speak on people's behalf.
He crossed a picket line (staff in Holyrood were on strike) and picked up his day's pay. Even the Greens managed to get this one right:

Green MSP Patrick Harvie, added: "On a day like today, I don't think it's possible for a political party to be on the right side of the argument and on the wrong side of the picket line."

Back
Top Bottom