I love this station:

Full timber canopies - check
Large booking office - check
GWR covered footbridge - check
Signal box - check
Branch line platform - check
Loads of luvverly semaphore signals - check
Points galore - check

It has to be one of the best preserved branch line junctions on any main line.

More: http://www.urban75.org/blog/st-erth-for-st-ives-railway-station-a-country-junction/
Even more: http://www.urban75.org/railway/st-erth-railway-station-cornwall.html

A nice little locally-run refreshement room as well, as I recall from my visit there 18 months ago. And the night sleeper train stops there to boot.

There's talk of moving a restored carriage in to the goods bay and using that as a restaurant.

6837436-large.jpg

Good work, campaigners!

Campaigners fighting to save a railway bridge in St Erth have welcomed the news that a planning application to demolish the structure was refused.

This week Cornwall Council rejected plans from Network Rail for the removal of the grade 2 listed footbridge at St Erth Railway Station to be replaced by a new bridge and lift structure.

St Erth Parish Council, back by St Erth Resident’s Association, spoke out against the removal of the historic bridge saying it would ruin the character of the station.

http://www.cornishman.co.uk/Demolit...idge-refused/story-22842970-detail/story.html

It does look quaint, but I bet it's a pain changing platforms if you're in a wheelchair..
Pretty sure there's other alternatives available to flattening a 100 year-old historic footbridge, like the light-controlled crossing or a second bridge suggested by locals.

st-erth-railway-station-14.jpg

I love this station:

Full timber canopies - check
Large booking office - check
GWR covered footbridge - check
Signal box - check
Branch line platform - check
Loads of luvverly semaphore signals - check
Points galore - check

It has to be one of the best preserved branch line junctions on any main line.

More: http://www.urban75.org/blog/st-erth-for-st-ives-railway-station-a-country-junction/
Even more: http://www.urban75.org/railway/st-erth-railway-station-cornwall.html

All its missing is something like a "Hall" or "Castle" with a rake of chocolate and cream coaches ready for a trip to London,
Bristol,Birmingham,etc and an example of the best steam locomotive built in this country for home use a 9F trundling through with a long goods train

This is what should be waiting in the branch bay platform:

xa

That particular example of GWR pannier is a long way from home its in the livery of my employer when London Transport WAS London Transport and not third world transport unfit for london tfl

Last edited:
That's moved from Butterley, hasn't it? Can't remember where (edit: Wiki says Kirkby Stephen East). The thing that always seemed a bit weird was that it was newer than the working-order Class 20 diesel that was sat just next to it, a class that is still running today after fifty odd years.
The Class 20 one of the few really good first generation diesels that British Railways bought to replace steam

The Class 20 has survived well because it's very easy to maintain, all the panels on the side open out, making access easy for fixing stuff. I expect there will still be some running in three years time, by which time the class will be sixty years old. Nuts.

I think Id like a ride behind an 0-4-2 GWR best of all. They're lovely little things.

1450atbampton.jpg

I would have loved to had a ride in one of these too:

gwrsa1509.jpg

I think Id like a ride behind an 0-4-2 GWR best of all. They're lovely little things.

As stared in The Titfield Thunderbolt along with Liverpool & Manchester 0-4-2 Lion will be looking forward to a run behind the Greasley P2 2-8-2 when its finished

Only downsides with that station is it gets cold and can smell a bit if too many people have been drinking Guiness. Got off there on Saturday and rode to Hayle. Some friend of mother's runs the cafe. In my old job I used to go in there couple times a year. Good cuppa.

Not sure whether I'm mistaken here but the 'improvements' to perhaps my favourite station, St Erth on the Redruth-Penzance line look to me to have fucked the (Grade II listed) station over completely

It used to be a lovely little station with split-level Victorian platforms that were utterly charming. Last time I went through it looked liked it had been turned in to a major league fucking building site attached to a car park.

Not sure whether I'm mistaken here but the 'improvements' to perhaps my favourite station, St Erth on the Redruth-Penzance line look to me to have fucked the (Grade II listed) station over completely

It used to be a lovely little station with split-level Victorian platforms that were utterly charming. Last time I went through it looked liked it had been turned in to a major league fucking building site attached to a car park.
I've taken quite a few pics of this lovely station. It's a beauty! I'll be really fucked off if they ruin it.

St Erth railway station, Cornwall  on the Great Western main line to Penzance  - photos and history

St Erth railway station, Cornwall  on the Great Western main line to Penzance  - photos and history

This is what they're doing. It's now a 'multi Modal Hub.'

The entire length of Platform 3 will be extended out towards the second bay line, creating a single bay for passenger trains, and a shorter spur for stabling other trains.

DB-St-Erth-Platform-Extension1.jpg

zz12-st-erth-station-redveloped-16th-june-2019-copyright-craig-munday_1_orig.jpg

St. Erth Multi Modal Hub – Is it just a Car Park? Truro

Yes, and this bit - the end of the branch line and little bit of an exit is beautiful.

1579221969743.png

I really hope I'm wrong but when I went through it looked like it had been levelled. I must be wrong if it's Grade II, but behind the station certainly looked like it was just flattened.

Eta: Ahhh ok if they've kept that bit, it must have been that I couldn't see it as I came through.

Ta - feel a lot happier about it now. :)

So they've spent some money upgrading the branch line. And those lovely semaphores are still there :)
St Erth station platform extension 1

St Erth station platform extension aerial web

Back
Top Bottom