Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Sports Personality Of The Year - Zara Phillips

oh for fucks sake! :p :D

I am neither privileged, connected or moneyed - but have taken part in horsey stuff. not any good at it mind you :D

people I knew that were good at it, were normal people too - they worked 2 or 3 jobs to pay for their sport and every minute out of work was spent ensuring that they and their horse was in peak condition.

some of them got sponsership, just like in any other sport.

but you carry on thinking it's all full of toffs, much easier for you :p ;)

Tank Girl said:

In my defence Tanky, I don't think it's for toffs.....I just think it's rubbish and not a real sport.

(infinite: :p, with a touch of Tanky-baiting: ;) )

lighterthief said:
Utter crap, I'm sorry.

Depends where you grow up. In the village I grew up in there were always a couple of horses and ponies hanging around. There weren't lessons - you just got on and rode.

So for me where I grew up, it was true. Obviously not for you.

trashpony said:
Depends where you grow up. In the village I grew up in there were always a couple of horses and ponies hanging around. There weren't lessons - you just got on and rode.

So for me where I grew up, it was true. Obviously not for you.
Oh, do you mean feral horses?

Not too many of those around in my neck of the woods when I was growing up. Having a horse meant either relatively expensive fees for riding sessions or 1) buying your own horse, 2) hiring a field/paddock for it to live in, 3) vet's bills, 4) feed cost, 5) a horsebox to transport horse to events and 6) time to look after the horse properly.

A fairly big investment of time and money IMO. I had friends that did manage to keep a horse, but it wasn't easy financially.

Dr. Furface said:
You're right there, not anyone can - most people don't have the requisite amount of privilege, money and connections to even contemplate it.

if i admit to being with Dr Furnace on this one.....will that sofa still have my name on it spanks? :eek: ;)

lighterthief said:
Oh, do you mean feral horses?

Not too many of those around in my neck of the woods when I was growing up. Having a horse meant either relatively expensive fees for riding sessions or 1) buying your own horse, 2) hiring a field/paddock for it to live in, 3) vet's bills, 4) feed cost, 5) a horsebox to transport horse to events and 6) time to look after the horse properly.

A fairly big investment of time and money IMO. I had friends that did manage to keep a horse, but it wasn't easy financially.

Not really feral but there were a couple of little farms around where I grew up and there were always horses in the fields they let us ride. I used to help out with the cows and bring them in for milking and stuff because I liked doing it.

But that wasn't in the UK - I think the situation here is largely as you describe. Although my niece's mate lives in a council house with four brothers and sisters and manages to have a horse (which she works hundreds of hours to feed). They share the horsebox which is the most knackered old thing you've ever seen and the horses live in the field that came with the house - you can't get planning permission to build on it so it's not worth a lot.

Most people I know with horses aren't rich - they're just absolutely obsessed and will make huge sacrifices in other parts of their lives to have them.

foo said:
if i admit to being with Dr Furnace on this one.....will that sofa still have my name on it spanks? :eek: ;)

of course it will, but I will have to point out to you how completely wrong you are :)

Leaving aside the fact that there has clealry been some sort of clerical error and the award should have been given to Steve Phillips, I agree with Tanky :)

Tank Girl said:

I am neither privileged, connected or moneyed - but have taken part in horsey stuff. not any good at it mind you :D

people I knew that were good at it, were normal people too - they worked 2 or 3 jobs to pay for their sport and every minute out of work was spent ensuring that they and their horse was in peak condition.

Yep - did the horsey bit myself. I think its fairly common for girls to go thru that stage.Some seem to have a real connection with the animals and become good at it - and you're right, it ain't cheap. And its a lot of work to keep horses in good condition - dirty, often wet and plain bloody hard work. The riding is only part of it. ZP has to do at least some of that herself as its the only way you build up a rapport with your horse - and having trust and respect for each other is the only way that an equestrian partnership can work well, and it has to work well for you to win any major competition.

Good on the girl - she was a worthy winner

live%5Cimages%5Cnews%5Czara_xc1_lrg.jpg

Look at the beautiful horsey :) Well done Zara :)

As a past 3 day eventer, who was shit at dressage, i must say well done as it is a truly dedicated and disciplined sport that when mastered in such style deserves this type of honour!

I used to ride some as a nipper too, and certainly didn't come from a background of privilege.

I'm with the top marks crew - eventing is seriously fucking hard work, requiring more skill and talent then getting into a fucking ring and beating the crap out of someone.

trashpony said:
It depends where you come from. If you're from the countryside, everyone rides - it's not 'posh' at all.

That's not even vaguely true in my experience. Maybe where you're from, but you don't get much more 'country' than where I grew up and it's absolutely a posh sport there.

Tank Girl said:

Getting good enough to win world championships at any sport requires being good and it and having enough time to practice when you're far too young to work two or three jobs, or even one. I'm sure some people do manage to ride like you say. I'm pretty sure none of them would have the slightest chance of getting anywhere near winning a title though.

fucking royal cow should be guillotined, how the fuck didn't Darren Clarke win it? He helped win the Ryder Cup and his wife had just died.

What sort of backward fucks do youse have voting for it in England? I mean a fucking toff Showjumper? This shit was a fucking fix.

I'm quite surprised at the reaction though - equestrianism doesn't get highlighted much in these awards ceremonies and she basically went to the top of her sport this year.

I don't see the point in judging it because it's costly :confused: Does that mean rowing is a no no as well? We're quite good at that. It's still a sport, a skill, takes work and commitment equal to that of any world champion.

Of course if you hate the fact she's royal then fair enough - separate issue in my mind.

JTG said:
What, Clarke should be given an award for his wife dying?

Theo fucking Walcott won the young sports personality of the year.

What the fuck?

He did fuck all for England. He's done fuck all for Arsenal. He scored a few goals for Southampton.

Awards ceremonies are pony but this one is annoyingly pony.

I get drawn in every time and never agree with their choices.

Calzaghe should have won it.

But this was the BBC - they televised Phillips winning - she's royalty. If it wasn't televised on BBC she wouldn't have won it. Also - if she wasn't royalty she wouldn't have won it............imho of course!

PieEye said:
I'm quite surprised at the reaction though - equestrianism doesn't get highlighted much in these awards ceremonies and she basically went to the top of her sport this year.

I don't see the point in judging it because it's costly :confused: Does that mean rowing is a no no as well? We're quite good at that. It's still a sport, a skill, takes work and commitment equal to that of any world champion.

Of course if you hate the fact she's royal then fair enough - separate issue in my mind.

Steve Redgrave has won it a couple of times I think...he's got it at least once, after the last Olympics and his 4th(?) gold medal in the rowing on the trot.

But don't forget, any sport that isn't Authentic Working Class(TM) isn't worthy of consideration cos obviously if you're posh and do a sport you don't really have to dedicate yourself to it, merely show up a few times and bingo it's all yours!

JTG said:
What, Clarke should be given an award for his wife dying?

eh no, for his general play this year, his role in the Ryder Cup and all whilst he was dealing with his wifes death.

I mean what did that posh tart ever do except be oh soo rebellious and have a tongue stud,

It's not even like showjumping is a proper sport, why not give to some old biddy whose poodle won best in show.

revol68 said:
eh no, for his general play this year, his role in the Ryder Cup and all whilst he was dealing with his wifes death.

I mean what did that posh tart ever do except be oh soo rebellious and have a tongue stud,

It's not even like showjumping is a proper sport, why not give to some old biddy whose poodle won best in show.

still smacks of a sympathy vote

golf of course is much more of a proletarian sport than equestrianism will ever be

revol68 said:

Ah right, and of course golf is an all-embracing, physically demanding sport isn't it? I take it you're a member of your local club then revol?

JTG said:
still smacks of a sympathy vote

golf of course is much more of a proletarian sport than equestrianism will ever be

i agree - take the death away and the bloke wouldn't ahve got a mention. However, it does show personality to get through such a horrible loss and still perform so highly.

You have to agree?

PieEye said:

where i come from, rowing is a toff's sport too. :)

tanky - bring it on! :D ;)

But that was my point - rowers have won this competition before without complaint. I think getting to the top in any sport takes a special person and a lot of work and to then judge it as unworthy because it's expensive is odd. To be honest a top flight footballer costs more than a bunch of eventers to maintain because of the state of their earnings.

Back
Top Bottom