Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Speeding and general dangerous driving in and around Brixton

Wilful speeding is no different from drink driving to me and people breaking either law should a receive a kick in the balls of equal strength; but, unfortunately, wilful speeding is more socially acceptable.

There's any number of things that could be done. Stricter points systems. Speed cameras. Speed recorders or limiters in cars. 20mph made the default limit in built up areas nationwide. Plus all the broader transport and planning policy stuff.

But such things are seen as infringements on the freedom of the motorist. I'm completely serious when I point out the parallels with the guns debate in the US.

Once driverless vehicles are in use, this type of behaviour won't in theory be possible

Unfortunately I think it's going to be a long, long time before people can be persuaded that driverless technology means that we can remove human drivers from the roads. However good the driverless technology is. I reckon things will only change once you have a generation that doesn't need to get driving licences grow up. Would be very pleased to be proved wrong though.

I think the solution is to put barriers along the edge of the footpaths, and designated, traffic light controlled crossing areas for pedestrians, and any pedestrian caught crossing a road anywhere but a designated crossing point should have their legs amputated.

Till about 10 years ago Brixton had barriers between road and pavement all over the place.

There's probably a good reason they were removed but I can't say I know what it is.

Also don't know what effect their removal had on accident stats; don't really care either, imo its up to drivers to avoid pedestrians and not the other way around.

Till about 10 years ago Brixton had barriers between road and pavement all over the place.

There's probably a good reason they were removed but I can't say I know what it is.

Also don't know what effect their removal had on accident stats; don't really care either, imo its up to drivers to avoid pedestrians and not the other way around.
They were removed to make it easier for crazed religious people to plough vans into pedestrians.
And you're wrong.

Once driverless vehicles are in use, this type of behaviour won't in theory be possible

Yes, no insurer in their right mind would write a policy where a law breaking computer was a possibility.

I can see human driver insurance policies rising a lot once even a small percentage of cars are completely autonomous.

The evidence that all the cameras and sensors on self driving cars will provide will be ridiculously detailed. You make a claim with an autonomous car involved and your insurer will see that in the 6 seconds before hand you were speeding and performing a dangerous manoeuvre ( or whatever ) unless you are whiter than white your insurer will refuse to insure you.

“Yes mr Jones we will continue to insure you, your policy will now cost 28k per year”

Alex

In my world, faster-moving things are supposed to avoid slower moving things (or slow right down to mix in with the slower-moving things). The opposite is dangerous and confusing.
In my world, people should accept responsibility for their own well-being. Transferring that responsibility onto someone who has no control over your actions is dangerous and confusing.

They were removed as part of a general re-design to make it more pedestrian friendly and I think it was the right move.

In my world, faster-moving things are supposed to avoid slower moving things (or slow right down to mix in with the slower-moving things). The opposite is dangerous and confusing.
Do you extend that same logic to people walking on train tracks?

Ignore them, they are just here on a wind-up.
You're the one on a wind-up. If you're not, then the hand-wringing you're doing about car drivers is scary.

Has all of this bad driving & bad pedestrianing gotten worse in recent years ? I wouldn’t know about the cars but seems as if general self-absorbed fuckwittery in public space has definitely increased, people oblivious to others around them and just thinking only about themselves / their phones. Or does this belong in the 'things that make you realise you're old' thread.

Has all of this bad driving & bad pedestrianing gotten worse in recent years ? I wouldn’t know about the cars but seems as if general self-absorbed fuckwittery in public space has definitely increased, people oblivious to others around them and just thinking only about themselves / their phones. Or does this belong in the 'things that make you realise you're old' thread.
People walking around with their heads buried in their phones. These are the people who walk out in front of cars and blame the driver when they get hit. This thread seems to be teaming with those people :D

Haven't looked at this thread for a few days.

See the motorist lobby have been posting up in last few days.

Confirms what I have said previously. There isn't a middle of the ground compromise between car drivers lobby and pedestrians/ cyclists.

I listened to program recently on this. Driverless vehicles in cities are some time in future. On motorways it will come sooner. Driverless vehicles are being tested. Ur right in built up areas they will have to work on basis that pedestrians share road space.

On cycling and potholes.

I spend my time cycling in West end and City. I concentrate first on pedestrians. Also keep aware of cars around me.

Its not always possible to see potholes until nearly on top of them.

Do you extend that same logic to people walking on train tracks?

Amazingly, it turns out trains go more slowly through stations for the same reason as 20mph zones exist on roads, ie proximity of moving vehicles to unarmoured bystanders. And like car drivers, train drivers are able to slow and stop if they see someone or something on the tracks ahead. Whodathunkit etc.

I would add that railways are normally fenced off and signposted with stuff like, Danger No Trespassing on the Railway .. which may give a broad idea as to whether they're suitable places for people to walk. On the other hand last time I checked, roads weren't separated from sidewalks. This may give the impression that it's perfectly legal to walk on roads.

Whodathunkit etc x2

I cycle on a daily basis. Yes people on phones walk straight off pavement in front of me. I have to concentrate more. I just deal with it.

Back
Top Bottom