Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Speeding and general dangerous driving in and around Brixton

it's actually the third time in 4 years, 1st was New Years Eve, drunk driver lost control not much damage done. 2nd was 2 years ago, driver claimed he swerved to miss a dog at 2.30 in the morning, narrowly missed 4 pedestrians as it hit the wall, no insurance. 3rd was 2 weeks ago, driver hit 2 girls who were in the road before hitting the wall, one girl in hospital. All three cars were coming from Loughborough so had to cross the road to hit the wall, they were not turning left as has been said by councillors and police. the one factor that unites them all is they were all going too fast.
the only time you will ever see police on this bit of road is when you have 10 - 12 police spot checking cars, in 20+ years I have yet to see them stop a white driver. The Coldharbour councillors are full of concern and saying they will do something about it and then silence. this part of the road is in serious need of speed camera's/speed bumps/traffic calming measures before someone gets killed. We have a system of buck passing with no-one prepared to take responsibility.
It looks like Lambeth (or the cops) have leaned on that shithole of a car wash to clean up their act and put bollards outside their fence to stop cars parking all over the pavement (and thus making it more dangerous for pedestrians and drivers). Net result: wanker drivers parking all over the pavement, but now a further bit out.

It looks like Lambeth (or the cops) have leaned on that shithole of a car wash to clean up their act and put bollards outside their fence to stop cars parking all over the pavement (and thus making it more dangerous for pedestrians and drivers). Net result: wanker drivers parking all over the pavement, but now a further bit out.
so if they are parking on the pavement why aren't they towing them away? Still waiting to hear from our Coldharbour councillors who were so quick to say something must be done and then did nothing

Det Supt Andy Cox of the Metropolitan Police said many drivers caught speeding during the early weeks of lockdown did not expect officers to be patrolling near-deserted roads.

"Early on, for some people driving at extreme speeds, they would be really surprised to see us there," he said.

"They would actually come out and say 'we thought you'd be busy dealing with Covid'.

"Maybe some people [tried to take] advantage because congestion was less and thought they'd get away with it."

The highest speeds recorded during the lockdown in London were:

• 163mph on a 70mph road
  • 134mph on a 40mph road
  • 110mph on a 30mph road
  • 73mph on a 20mph road
Trackers based around the capital showed average speeds on many roads were above the limit.

Det Supt Cox said he wanted speeding to be seen "as socially unacceptable" as drinking and driving.

"I see more fatal and more life-changing collisions through speed than I do through drink-driving," he said.

"I think the social conscience needs to change around it to address the issue of speeding because there's not sufficient social condemnation of someone speeding."

I've always been a bit under the impression that it's not really worth reporting dangerous driving to the police, even if you have it on video. That might be wrong though. I think things have changed.

It's not just cyclists' helmet cams that have the potential - I think this means decent footage from a mobile phone will do.

There are certain walks I do - for example along Milkwood Road from Loughborough Junction to Herne Hill - where it's almost guaranteed that I'll see someone tearing along way too fast, or overtaking around the traffic islands. Might start to make a habit of having my phone camera open and ready to film. Likewise walking back along Coldharbour Lane at night.

I've always been a bit under the impression that it's not really worth reporting dangerous driving to the police, even if you have it on video. That might be wrong though. I think things have changed.

It's not just cyclists' helmet cams that have the potential - I think this means decent footage from a mobile phone will do.

There are certain walks I do - for example along Milkwood Road from Loughborough Junction to Herne Hill - where it's almost guaranteed that I'll see someone tearing along way too fast, or overtaking around the traffic islands. Might start to make a habit of having my phone camera open and ready to film. Likewise walking back along Coldharbour Lane at night.

You can sit on St Matthews Road and film cars going through the "modal filter" all day if you fancy! Like shooting fish...

Anyone know what happened outside the town hall last night? Looks like a crash took out the lights on the pedestrian crossing.

Attachments

• 75DEA998-9A0D-4983-BC7E-C486C66B8BC5.jpeg
    75DEA998-9A0D-4983-BC7E-C486C66B8BC5.jpeg
    422.5 KB · Views: 22
This is the guy who killed a pedestrian on Brixton Hill earlier this year whilst speeding away from police at 62mph on the wrong side of the road and ignoring traffic signals.

Leaving aside the sentence of 7 years for killing someone - apparently he is only banned from driving for 11 years.

How in any way can it be justified that he should ever be allowed in charge of a vehicle again?

What a completely hopeless signal to send out. How is anyone who feels happy to drive at 30 or 40 in a 20 zone going to be deterred from doing so when they know that even if they go twice that speed and kill someone they'll get a relatively short sentence and not even get a lifetime ban?

This is the guy who killed a pedestrian on Brixton Hill earlier this year whilst speeding away from police at 62mph on the wrong side of the road and ignoring traffic signals.

Leaving aside the sentence of 7 years for killing someone - apparently he is only banned from driving for 11 years.

How in any way can it be justified that he should ever be allowed in charge of a vehicle again?

What a completely hopeless signal to send out. How is anyone who feels happy to drive at 30 or 40 in a 20 zone going to be deterred from doing so when they know that even if they go twice that speed and kill someone they'll get a relatively short sentence and not even get a lifetime ban?
With an offence like that there should never be the option to hold a driving licence again.

Happened a few weeks ago but these are the remains of a car that obviously went straight across the pavement and most of the way through the fence along the top side of Ruskin Park. Not even a main road, looks like they came down one of the side roads way too fast and completely failed to turn the corner at the junction.

Screen Shot 2020-10-01 at 14.35.20.jpgScreen Shot 2020-10-01 at 14.38.56.jpg

There's still plenty of speeding along Coldharbour Lane on the rare moments when the road decongests enough for some twat to hurtle along 500 metres at high speed and then slam on the brakes for the lights.

The government have been talking about eventually maybe getting round to change the law on that for six years now but still haven't got anywhere - it's astonishing you get much shorter sentences for killing someone with a car than you do in any other way.

Coldharbour Lane near the junction with Loughborough Park.

Screenshot 2022-06-04 at 13.45.29.jpgScreenshot 2022-06-04 at 13.45.43.jpg

There's constantly speeding along this bit of Coldharbour Lane. Especially at night. Here's a car that was evidently out of control, crossing approaching traffic, a zebra crossing, and the pavement that's supposed to be safe for pedestrians. I wonder if it would have gone further if it hadn't taken out the zebra crossing lamp. Ahead is the little seating area between the ends of Loughborough Park & Shakespeare Rd.

Still no evidence of anything meaningful being done about speeding in what's supposed to be a 20mph area.

Yes on that section of CHL there is a lot of speeding. Also see some aggressive driving. If car is going right speed one behind comes up right behind and tries to overtake. Must be intimidating if one is trying to keep to 20mph. More speeding at night. Mopeds are the worse than cars re speeding.

Its not so bad in daytimes using that crossing. It's well used in mornings by children going to the secondary school behind Barrier Block. I almost think it should have a lollipop person like in Loughborough road in mornings.

View attachment 325532View attachment 325533

There's constantly speeding along this bit of Coldharbour Lane. Especially at night. Here's a car that was evidently out of control, crossing approaching traffic, a zebra crossing, and the pavement that's supposed to be safe for pedestrians. I wonder if it would have gone further if it hadn't taken out the zebra crossing lamp. Ahead is the little seating area between the ends of Loughborough Park & Shakespeare Rd.

Still no evidence of anything meaningful being done about speeding in what's supposed to be a 20mph area.
I've got a suggestion - try doing a car free zone, like St John's Road Clapham Junction has had for the last 11 years:
Whilst access is available from the A306/A3207 and A3/Northcote Road junctions, vehicular access to St Johns Road is prohibited except by cyclists, buses and loading/unloading vehicles requiring access.15 Mar 2011

Should warm the cockles of the merry souls on the LTN thread!

View attachment 325532View attachment 325533

Surprised to see that car still there this morning. Didn't it crash Monday night/Tuesday morning last week?

Surprised to see that car still there this morning. Didn't it crash Monday night/Tuesday morning last week?
Don't know - I just happened to see it on Saturday.

It doesn't seem unusual for crashed cars to sit on the street/pavement for some time. I don't know if that means insurance companies are arguing about who should retrieve it ... or is an indication that no insurance was held.

Don't know - I just happened to see it on Saturday.

It doesn't seem unusual for crashed cars to sit on the street/pavement for some time. I don't know if that means insurance companies are arguing about who should retrieve it ... or is an indication that no insurance was held.
Running a quick check on the reg shows it has current tax, insurance and MOT. Perhaps it fell prey to the jubilee weekend slow-down.

I cycle up Loughborough Park each morning, but was only at work Mon-Tue last week. Might even have been there since last Mon, I can't quite recall now.

Running a quick check on the reg shows it has current tax, insurance and MOT. Perhaps it fell prey to the jubilee weekend slow-down.

I cycle up Loughborough Park each morning, but was only at work Mon-Tue last week. Might even have been there since last Mon, I can't quite recall now.
Yeah it was there last Monday night.

Here's the second crash. The driver must have been driving at considerable speed. The car is still completely blocking the pavement after several days.

View attachment 325822

that's the third accident around Valentia Place in 5 years, all around the same date

It happened on a weekend I was away so didn't see it myself but I believe a car ended up flipped on the pavement on Herne Hill Road a few weeks back. Again, at a location where crashes happen regularly. I have seen several that ended up on the pavement within the last 2 or 3 years.

It happened on a weekend I was away so didn't see it myself but I believe a car ended up flipped on the pavement on Herne Hill Road a few weeks back. Again, at a location where crashes happen regularly. I have seen several that ended up on the pavement within the last 2 or 3 years.
Herne Hill, or Herne Hill Road? It's getting increasingly difficult - thankfully, to speed on Herne Hill Road due speed cushions, pedestrian lights and the volume of parked cars. The key speeding place is from Coldharbour Road upto about Padfield Road - I've seen a few nasty ones on this lower bit over the years. But also at the top at the traffic lights by Red Post Hill is a bit of a crash-spot.

Herne Hill, or Herne Hill Road? It's getting increasingly difficult - thankfully, to speed on Herne Hill Road due speed cushions, pedestrian lights and the volume of parked cars. The key speeding place is from Coldharbour Road upto about Padfield Road - I've seen a few nasty ones on this lower bit over the years. But also at the top at the traffic lights by Red Post Hill is a bit of a crash-spot.
Herne Hill Road.

Coldharbour Lane to Padfield road is bad as you say, but I'd say a bit further too. There are a lot of incidents around the junction with Wanless Rd. A lot of people use Padfield Rd to avoid the traffic lights at the bottom of Herne Hill Road, so they negotiate Padfield Road at some speed, onto Herne Hill Road and then many also turn onto Wanless Rd to access Milkwood Rd towards Herne Hill. A fair bit of this could be prevented by making Padfield Rd a no-through road or even making it right hand turn only at the top. In fact it was briefly blocked during the LJ road closure experiments but this was then reversed.

The speed cushions on Herne Hill Road don't really help at all in my opinion. At least along that bottom bit. Because they don't go right across the road it's easy for drivers just to straddle them (especially with the ever increasing size of vehicles) which just encourages people to drive in the middle of the road at speed.

The other crashed car still there and now accompanied by a bit of pavement parking, precisely located where the tactile paving can lead visually impaired people straight into the van after crossing the road.

Screenshot 2022-06-09 at 14.38.09.jpg

Earlier today, it was finally reported that PC Nadeem Patel of the Metropolitan Police's central South Command Unit, who mowed down Shante Daniel-Folkes, killing her instantly in Stockwell Road on 9 June 2021 while driving in excess of 80 mph in response to an emergency call, pleaded guilty to causing death by dangerous driving on 21 November 2022 and was sentenced on 24 February 2023 to three years’ imprisonment and disqualified from driving for three years.

PC Nadeem Patel was dismissed from the Metropolitan Police without notice after a misconduct hearing on 4 May 2023:

Shocking footage released after Metropolitan Police officer jailed over fatal Brixton crash

2_shante.jpg

(Source: Facebook)

The Late Shante Daniel-Folkes

20111224082822!Metropolitan_Police_Logo.png

“Our Police Community Engagement team will be working hard to listen and respond to local concerns stemming from this incident and trial verdict over the coming days.”

Another crash outside Nisa on Coldharbour Lane in Loughborough Junction this evening, car on the pavement, pedestrian knocked over but luckily ok, woman screaming because it nearly hit the pram with her baby in, drivers arguing with each other.

Back
Top Bottom