Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Speeding and general dangerous driving in and around Brixton

TfL unveils plans to impose 20mph limit on key central London routes

Bold plans to cut the speed limit on main roads in central London to 20mph were unveiled today.

It comes after an “unacceptable” 128 road deaths and 2,256 serious injuries in the last three years across the capital where speed was a “contributory factor”.

Transport for London wants to impose 20mph limits from next May on all its “red routes” within the congestion charge zone, such as the Victoria and Albert Embankments, Millbank, Tower Hill and Blackfriars Road.

Speed cameras will be recalibrated and drivers who breach the limit face a minimum £100 fine and three penalty points.

548 pedestrians were killed by drivers in the supposed safe haven of pavements or verges in the last 13 years, with the oldest and youngest in society disproportionately at risk, a new analysis of collision data can reveal.

Between 2005 and 2018, 8.6% of the 5,835 pedestrian deaths in England, Scotland and Wales occurred on pavements, the University of Westminster’s Active Travel Academy, a new academic think tank, has found. The majority (542) were killed by drivers of motor vehicles, with six pedestrian-cycle footway collisions.

The research uncovered examples of some of the most dangerous driving on Britain’s roads over the past 15 years, as well as momentary lapses by drivers, both with tragic consequences.

Analysis of historic STATS19 data, a road traffic collision form used by police to log crashes, found most fatal collisions on pavements took place in fine weather, on well-lit streets, with no hazards on the road. Most were clustered in built-up areas on urban roads, some on rural roads, with people walking on verges.

I do wonder if these kinds of idiots are going to take the distraction caused by coronavirus - and empty streets - as an opportunity to do even more stupid stuff than usual.

I do wonder if these kinds of idiots are going to take the distraction caused by coronavirus - and empty streets - as an opportunity to do even more stupid stuff than usual.

There have been a higher than usual number of motor vehicles going the wrong way down our one way street.

While Lambeth are telling people off for sunbathing, I've been watching a small number, but significant proportion of, drivers who seem to be taking the unusually clear streets as an invitation to speed around with abandon. Most of them are young men with expensive/fast cars and I don't believe they are attending emergencies. This afternoon I saw one talking on his mobile at the same time.

(When have I been observing this? Mainly whilst sitting in the evening sun on my doorstep, which due to the usual level of traffic is not normally all that appealing, but now it's quite a nice way of seeing that other people exist whilst not leaving the house, and it turns out that quite a lot of people smile and greet you when walking past, one of those things that comes out of making streets actually pleasant for people rather than cars...but anyway)

Some of these people speeding around at the moment are going to put themselves or someone else in an A&E department entirely unnecessarily. The twenty's plenty campaign are putting their weight behind a call to bring in a 20mph speed limit in all residential areas nationwide at least for the duration of this crisis, to reduce the burden on hospitals. I'm fully in support of it, unsurprisingly.

Ive noticed on my bit of CHL some car drivers are using the lack of traffic on road to speed. And I don't mean doing thirty in twenty zone. Ive seen some drivers put their foot down in my bit of the road.

Yup, me too. I just can't believe these selfish fuckers who are putting not only themselves, but others and the NHS at risk. But of course they think they are safe drivers and there is no telling them otherwise, unless you want to get a mouthful of abuse

Here we go again.

Interesting that the Coldharbour Police twitter says they "won't make judgement on cause" but then implies that TfL need to fix the road.

The cause is nearly always careless driving - road design is there to attempt to mitigate careless driving.

Speed limits are also there to mitigate careless driving, and it's the police who are supposed to enforce them. I know they say they are short of funding to do so.

Screen Shot 2020-06-07 at 11.21.43.jpg

as the two people hit by the car were probably on the road when the car hit them I can understand their reticence to comment on this particular case but they are not wrong to say that Coldharbour Lane and Gresham Road needs sorting, I am surprised no one has died in an accident yet, cars regularly accelerating up to 40 - 50 mph just on that one stretch, especially with the reduced traffic due to lockdown. is this road controlled by TFL or Lambeth? either way they have ignored the problems here for far too long

as the two people hit by the car were probably on the road when the car hit them I can understand their reticence to comment on this particular case but they are not wrong to say that Coldharbour Lane and Gresham Road needs sorting, I am surprised no one has died in an accident yet, cars regularly accelerating up to 40 - 50 mph just on that one stretch, especially with the reduced traffic due to lockdown. is this road controlled by TFL or Lambeth? either way they have ignored the problems here for far too long

Its Lambeth. I found this out when trying to get a collapsed manhole cover fixed.

I had a long email exchange between Lambeth, TFL and myself.

I had emailed Lambeth first. They insisted it was TFL responsibiity.

TFL were helpful and took the trouble to explain to Lambeth CHL is Lambeth responsibility.

Why Lambeth were not aware I don't know.

I agree speeding is a problem on that stretch of road. Its supposed to be 20mph. Its not enforced.

Here we go again.

Interesting that the Coldharbour Police twitter says they "won't make judgement on cause" but then implies that TfL need to fix the road.

The cause is nearly always careless driving - road design is there to attempt to mitigate careless driving.

Speed limits are also there to mitigate careless driving, and it's the police who are supposed to enforce them. I know they say they are short of funding to do so.

View attachment 216511

It would be more helpful of police if the police accident investigators took a look at what happened and worked out why.

Saying to TFL ( its Lambeth road btw not TFL) that they ought to sort it out is meaningless.

Its also the police job to enforce speed limits. If they think this is such a dangerous road they should be out on it.

This is a straight stretch of road with clear sightlines. So I would like to know why this has happened twice on one spot.

It would be more helpful of police if the police accident investigators took a look at what happened and worked out why.

Saying to TFL ( its Lambeth road btw not TFL) that they ought to sort it out is meaningless.

Its also the police job to enforce speed limits. If they think this is such a dangerous road they should be out on it.

This is a straight stretch of road with clear sightlines. So I would like to know why this has happened twice on one spot.
it's actually the third time in 4 years, 1st was New Years Eve, drunk driver lost control not much damage done. 2nd was 2 years ago, driver claimed he swerved to miss a dog at 2.30 in the morning, narrowly missed 4 pedestrians as it hit the wall, no insurance. 3rd was 2 weeks ago, driver hit 2 girls who were in the road before hitting the wall, one girl in hospital. All three cars were coming from Loughborough so had to cross the road to hit the wall, they were not turning left as has been said by councillors and police. the one factor that unites them all is they were all going too fast.
the only time you will ever see police on this bit of road is when you have 10 - 12 police spot checking cars, in 20+ years I have yet to see them stop a white driver. The Coldharbour councillors are full of concern and saying they will do something about it and then silence. this part of the road is in serious need of speed camera's/speed bumps/traffic calming measures before someone gets killed. We have a system of buck passing with no-one prepared to take responsibility.

Back
Top Bottom