Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Spain vs Russia (R16) - 15:00 - 01/07/2018

Badgers

Mr Big Shrimp!
R.I.P.
Second day of knockouts and this one (on paper) is probably the most one-sided so far.

There is a small 'home advantage' for Russia who will have about 80k fans cheering them and booing the Spanish. However I suspect Spain will get this by a couple of goals.
Spain, who are unbeaten since losing to Italy at Euro 2016, have yet to hit the heady heights with which they are usually associated, but Russia may be a team against whom they can cut loose. They will certainly attempt to dominate the ball.

The home team, however, have worked like Trojans and have been clinical when opportunities have come knocking. Russia are ranked bottom at this tournament for chances created, with 18, but have still managed to score eight goals, while in terms of distance covered in the group stage (331km) they ranked third.

Football statisticians Gracenote Sports believe Spain have a 13% chance of winning the World Cup, while host Russia's prospects stand at 2%.

_102272798_russia.jpg _102272254_spain.jpg

I think Russia will narrowly get this.
No chance Russia are absolutely awful. Only reason they got through is because they were seeded in pot 1 as hosts so got an easy group - otherwise they'd have been in pot 4 (although if they weren't hosts they wouldn't have qualified anyway).

I'd be very surprised if Spain don't win this by at least 2 clear goals, and possibly 3 or 4.

Not even home advantage is going to lift Russia...but Spain often confound me - usually look good on paper but can be woeful on the day. Still, think Spain will win...and fairly easily.

This isn't the most inspiring photo if you're Spanish.

5ae55683-144a-4753-a0f0-5f8c701d1a7d.jpg

Dropping Iniesta is... odd. Thought they'd have just tried to pass the fuck out of Russia.
I don't get all the fuss they're making about it. Iniesta usually comes off on about 70 mins but in the last game he did the full 90 just a few days ago. They'll need him a lot more in future games so it makes sense to rest him a bit now against one of the weakest teams left in it. If they can't beat Russia without Iniesta then they're in trouble

Back
Top Bottom