Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

SpaceX rockets and launches

Post launch news conference has been cancelled as "the Dragon spacecraft in good health and its flight going well".

Hitting the target was the hard part, so very well done!

I'll be very interested to hear what prevented a safe landing. Did they get the deceleration wrong and smack into the deck? Come in at too great an angle? Only land on 3 legs and toppled overboard? A shame the landing was in the dark, in fog. There will likely be no cool video.

The suggestion is that the first stage ran out of hydraulic fluid for the grid fins that help maintain control for and the degree of precision of the landing. Musk has tweeted that they plan to carry 50% more such fluid on the next flight.

Just a little too hard...

e2a: the Dragon capsule is motoring along fine, on target for the space station. Post launch news conference at about 1130UTC.

Bugger n hell, where does this bloke find the time? Space x,EVs, PVs!!

'do you expect me to talk?'

'No Mr Elon! I expect you to run a ruinously expensive private space venture while governments quietly shelve anything other than mil/comms satellites!'

'This is quite a niche baddie demand'

They could at least show the mess. ;)
I suppose the reluctance might at least in part be to do with the amazing comet landing.

I watched a long interview with Musk, might have been from a link on this thread even, an interesting personality, quite intense, focussed, knowledgeable and for a future Dr Evil, very likeable :)

The CRS-5 Dragon capsule has just been captured at the ISS and will now be berthed (currently live on NASA TV).

e2a: berthing shortly after 1245UTC today.

2e2a: Dragon now bolted to the ISS:
B7JttcnIYAAcZUw.jpg
B7J4lQ-CAAEwivC.jpg:medium

Last edited:
So close!

B7c7SPiCYAAmPZo.jpg

Elon Musk ‏@elonmusk · 3m3 minutes ago
@ID_AA_Carmack Before impact, fins lose power and go hardover. Engines fights to restore, but …

B7c73oaCQAA7V-j.jpg

@elonmusk · 2m2 minutes ago
@ID_AA_Carmack Rocket hits hard at ~45 deg angle, smashing legs and engine section

Another launch today - this time the DISCOVR satellite which is a new space weather advance warning mission. It watches the sun and gives other satellites the crucial warning of incoming charged particle storms.

And yes, they'll be making another landing attempt. This time with plenty of hydraulic fluid. But because of the mission profile, there won't be enough spare fuel to do one of the braking/boostback burns. This will make for a steeper, faster re-entry. Chances of success are still 50/50.

T-0 is tonight at 23:10

SpaceX's coverage starts in 2h

NasaTV is already talking about the mission if you're interested in space weather.

Launch attempt aborted.

e2a: If a launch attempt is made tomorrow the new lift off time will be 23:07:49UTC

Last edited:
For once not the rocket or the weather's fault, but an Air Force radar that's part of the range safety system.

Not officially confirmed yet but it looks like the weather will push this launch to tomorrow, Tuesday.

e2a: Next attempt now confirmed as 2305UTC Tuesday with a backup of 2303UTC Wednesday (weather cited as the reason). Failing that the next possible attempt is 20 Feb.

Last edited:
Weather's a bit woah a bit whay but at the moment everything is go. Choppy conditions in the Atlantic might call off the landing too. Damn weather. And damn that air force radar! It was a glorious sunny still day on Sunday!

Upper level winds red at this time (90+knots). They will roll down to T-13min (2252hrs) if needs be before making a decision on that.

Back
Top Bottom