Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

SpaceX rockets and launches

Ascent trail to the left, re-entry burn top centre, landing burn on the right of the shot:
CWy6WPcXIAAcBqC.jpg

Good de-orbit burn of second stage confirmed. It should re-enter over the Indian Ocean around 0230UTC.
e2a: complete replay of the launch, landing through to payload deploy here.

Last edited:
At the moment Orbcomm reporting that 10 out of the 11 deployed satellites 'checked in' whilst passing over a ground station on the first orbit.
e2a: now all 11 have phoned home.

Last edited:
Though this particular rocket won't be used again. The plan is to static test fire it. Musk has said they will try to re-use a first stage sometime next year...

Yeah, I imagine all the fine tooth combs will be out for this one.

I wonder if they'll put a paying customer on the first reused stage? Offer a bargain price and I bet they'll get some interest.

That's a right bit of precision. Well done, SpaceX !

I'm wondering if part of the problem with the barge landings was the ocean swell ?

The F9R first stage was travelling at 1.62km/s at MECO (main engine cut off), about 80km up, 90km downrange. It continued on up to 170km as it performed the boost back burn to start deceleration and return to launch site.

For comparison (such as it is) Blue Origin's New Shepherd returns from a peak of 1.28km/s and an altitude of 100km.

I suspect the first stage MECO velocities of the proposed Arianespace and ULA reusable launchers will be higher than the above. It would be interesting to see what the values/profile would be for the F9R for the launch of a geo comsat.

. It would be interesting to see what the values/profile would be for the F9R for the launch of a geo comsat.
I was under the impression that there wasn't enough margin to do RTLS on geo missions?

I think they'll use falcon heavy for geo missions, and recover all three cores.

Amazing! The cost of launching payloads into space just decreased by at least a factor of 10 and maybe even 100.
I know nothing about the economics of space launches but I don't think the savings would be quite as much as that. It will lower the overall cost of course, but I doubt by a factor of 10. If it halves it we'd be doing well imo.

I'm sure some of the usual suspects were watching, but spacex flew the last Falcon9 v1.1 today, from Vandenberg on the west coast, carrying a French/Italian ocean science satellite. Primary mission a success, and the barge landing was the closest yet. Made a perfect landing despite the 15 foot swell, but one of the legs failed to lock so it tipped over. They've already improved the legs on the new "Full Thrust" version of the rocket, so next barge attempt should have much better chances.

CY8-PdyU0AABqaa.jpg

GoPros are cheap enough to be disposable in a situation like this.

Next launch is now set for Feb 6th, from Cape Canaveral. It's a GTO mission and carrying just about the heaviest satellite the F9 can manage to that orbit. They're still going to attempt a barge landing, but there will be so little spare fuel, it will be the fastest and furthest re-entry yet attempted. Some calculations put it at 35kg left in the tanks at touchdown. 35kg! That's barely enough to keep the pipes wet.

A Falcon-9 orbited the Jason-3 ocean surface topography satellite yesterday from Vandenberg Air Force Base but didn't quite manage a successful sea barge landing in the Pacific:

Apparently a leg didn't lock into position properly. This might have been due to ice build up after launch in fog:

e2a: serves me right for searching and not scrolling back along the thread :facepalm: :D
The satellite is being checked out but appears healthy. It will provide information about circulation patterns in the ocean and global and regional changes in sea level .

Back
Top Bottom