Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

So who's tried a Greggs vegan sausage roll/steak bake?

Recipe via quimcunx

Puff pastry ready roll cut and spread with
Tomato ketchup and Branston pickle
Add halved and quarter vegan sausage - Linda McCartney works well
Roll up and brush with milk
Add sesame or mustard or caraway seeds for cheffy touch
Yum

At Gloucester M5 services (which is like a very m/c services with grass on the roof and wooden benches and no BK), .

I bet the toilets still stink, urinals leak and useless Dyson hand dryers taunt you at the end.

I was only joking . They do a pao com choriso here which is a sausage roll but with choriso instead of sausage meet which isn't too bad tbh . Having said that Portugal isn't a vegan or vegetarian friendly country outside of Lisbon and Porto. There's a friend of mine coming here in Spring she doesn't eat meat or fish so I asked my Portuguese friends about restaurants that serve vegan or veg dishes and they just looked puzzled and asked why.

Most of the supermarket chains in Portugal I found to have a variety of veggie hot dog sausages for sale in glass jars, choice of tofu or soya options with various flavours (with the exception of Lidl, run by sausage loving Germans obvs.). Surprised me as it seemed a better selection than UK supermarkets have. Continent supermarket where we were (about 30km south of Porto in a non touristy area) had quite a lot of vegan/veggie things in the freezer including ice creams. Less sure about eating out, I usually end up with a cheese toastie. One local ‘healthy’ cafe did veggie/vegan burgers but I never ended up trying one. There’s always pizza too.

At Gloucester M5 services (which is like a very m/c services with grass on the roof and wooden benches and no BK), there are the BEST sausage rolls known to mankind. I urge you all to make the journey.

Seconded. :thumbs:

(Not seen or tried any vegan ones there, though)

Most processed veggie and vegan products are more expensive than meat ones - it's about markets and making money, little to do with the cost of manufacture.

Careful, now - you’ll have the vegan working-class hero club weighing any second. :D

Edit: I expect there has been appeciable development costs, costs setting up plant, as well as processes to avoid any preventable cock-ups which would be a PR disaster for them, and there will be a limit to which they will have been willing to subsidise the vegan product from other lines.

Tl:dr in urban-speek: Blame capitalism.

Last edited:
I was only joking . They do a pao com choriso here which is a sausage roll but with choriso instead of sausage meet which isn't too bad tbh . Having said that Portugal isn't a vegan or vegetarian friendly country outside of Lisbon and Porto. There's a friend of mine coming here in Spring she doesn't eat meat or fish so I asked my Portuguese friends about restaurants that serve vegan or veg dishes and they just looked puzzled and asked why.
I remember being in Austria in the mid-1980s when ex-girlfriend and me were the only Brits in the hotel apart from a couple from the north-east, who we were seated with on the first night in a place near Salzburg. When the staff discovered that the woman in this couple was a vegetarian, they bemusedly served her the meal the rest of us were having except for the meat. At one point, the chef and several of the kitchen staff stuck their heads around the door to have a look at the eccentric English woman.

Russians, in my experience, seemed to think that anybody requesting vegetarian food must be doing so because they have an illness. Probably a mental one, I suspected some of them were thinking.

On that note, I do understand that some people won't eat meat because the meat industry is barbaric, but as for the health question, is there any evidence that processed vegetarian or vegan food is any better for you than processed meat products? Seems doubtful to me.

You could go down the sosmix route (a couple of quid a packet would make just under half a kilo of filling) Or you could use left over veg, breadcrumbs, herbs and a few nuts and make your own

sosmix kind of tastes like herby sawdust though. A lot of vegan pies, pastie type stuff is just too dry and bland tasting. Maybe cos it also tries to be "healthy" as well as vegan - but you need the fat to make stuff taste better and for texture. A sausage roll is supposed to be a processed wodge of fatty salty stodge - plenty of protein that goes down easy - you're not going to get that from a carrot. That's what greggs have got right.

sosmix kind of tastes like herby sawdust though. A lot of vegan pies, pastie type stuff is just too dry and bland tasting. Maybe cos it also tries to be "healthy" as well as vegan - but you need the fat to make stuff taste better and for texture. A sausage roll is supposed to be a processed wodge of fatty salty stodge - plenty of protein that goes down easy - you're not going to get that from a carrot. That's what greggs have got right.
Sosmix is great poured into homemade soups as a thickener. But only if you're living on your own in a bedsit.

Got it in one. It is proper sausage rolly... :thumbs:

I'm gonna try and make sausage rolls with Frys veggie sausages as I am partial to them. They would be nice to take on pickernics.

I'd also like someone to invent a vegan scotch egg please.

I'm sure there are some really good arguments for sausage rolls, but my gut feeling is that the nutritional value angle might not be the best one.

although not ideal - i think a diet of just sausage rolls would keep you alive longer than one of just carrots.

I had one in the summer. I meant to post a thread about it.

It was pretty good. Obviously no where near the godlyness of a proper one. But surprisingly good.

An actual favourable review from you! Will def have to give it a try.
How does the "egg" bit work?

I'm slightly unsure of this - I'd hazard that it would be a race between anaemia and scurvy.

Any volunteers for a trial?

On the plus side for carrots, you'd turn orange if you ate large quantities of them. For sausage rolls, you'd probably die of a heart attack before long - so the carrot side of the trial would outlive the grease tube side.

On the plus side for carrots, you'd turn orange if you ate large quantities of them. For sausage rolls, you'd probably die of a heart attack before long - so the carrot side of the trial would outlive the grease tube side.

I think your metabolism would bias towards burning fat quite efficiently for energy, and if already healthy it would take a long time for heart concerns to surface.

You'd likely smell bad, though.

I think your metabolism would bias towards burning fat quite efficiently for energy, and if already healthy it would take a long time for heart concerns to surface.

You'd likely smell bad, though.

Apparently this young man ate nothing but sausage rolls, chips, sausages and salmon paste sandwiches for 15 years. I suppose the benefits of youth insulated him from the worst effects, but how he managed to avoid scurvy is an oddity unless he took supplements.

Fussy teen ate nothing but sausage rolls for 15 years | Metro News

I think trying that diet in middle age would be asking for trouble, especially for men.

carrots have got fuck all calories - which you need to live. a diet of just carrots would see you slowly starve to death. a diet of just sausage rolls would keep you alive.
the high risk of heart attack/obesity would come after several years if you eat too many and did little physical exercise - cos youd be consuming more calories then you are actually using.
a diet of just carrots would not provide you with enough calories period - you would be very ill within a few months.

Back
Top Bottom