Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

So who's tried a Greggs vegan sausage roll/steak bake?

I really want to try one.
I am a monster for anything in flaky pastry :oops:
I have massively cut back on how much meat I eat but every now and then I reeeeaaaalllllly want a hot sausage roll. I start off enjoying it and then half way through my brain takes over from my heart and tells me how awful it is, not just for me but for the animals and the planet and I finish it feeling sad :(
:D Yes massive over thinker.

Hot vegan sausage roll solves the problem! :cool:

Can't they call them something that celebrates it's uniqueness? Something that panders to the eaters dietary requirements whilst not reminding them of the food they have rejected?

Why would you use the word sausage for something that has no meat in it?

A sausage is a cylindrical meat product usually made from ground meat, often pork, beef, or veal, along with salt, spices and other flavourings, and breadcrumbs, encased by a skin. Typically, a sausage is formed in a casing traditionally made from intestine, but sometimes from synthetic materials. Sausages that are sold raw are cooked in many ways, including pan-frying, broiling and barbecuing. Some sausages are cooked during processing and the casing may then be removed.

Sausage making is a traditional food preservation technique. Sausages may be preserved by curing, drying (often in association with fermentation or culturing, which can contribute to preservation), smoking, or freezing. Some cured or smoked sausages can be stored without refrigeration. Most fresh sausages must be refrigerated or frozen until they are cooked.

Sausages come in a huge range of national and regional varieties, which differ by their flavouring or spicing ingredients (garlic, peppers, wine, etc.), the meat(s) used in them and their manner of preparation.

Just asking like ;) 'Vegan pastry roll with no egg wash' has such a lush twang to it innit :cool:

Can't they call them something that celebrates it's uniqueness? Something that panders to the eaters dietary requirements whilst not reminding them of the food they have rejected?

Why would you use the word sausage for something that has no meat in it?

I'm pretty sure that the etymology of the word sausage actually comes from salt/salted. Meat sausages aren't made with salt cured meat nowadays, so the same argument of the word usage could apply to today's bangers. As it is, the word has come to mean the shape, mostly a meat product granted, but not always. (Glamorgan sausages, sausage dog etc)

I don't know, does kale have a season?
I love kale. This is the best time of year for it off your own plot but you can snap it up year round now if you don't mind having it shipped around the world from places like Afghaniskale and Austrkalia.

Bit of EV olive oil and black pepper...nom.:cool:

I'm pretty sure that the etymology of the word sausage actually comes from salt/salted. Meat sausages aren't made with salt cured meat nowadays, so the same argument of the word usage could apply to today's bangers. As it is, the word has come to mean the shape, mostly a meat product granted, but not always. (Glamorgan sausages, sausage dog etc)

Meat sausages aren't made with salt cured meat nowadays

I'm sorry mate but if you went round the hipster markets of London spouting such lies these days you'd end up in a banger ;)

the word has come to mean the shape

So by your reckoning they should clearly be called 'willy rolls' without a case ;)

Just asking like ;) 'Vegan pastry roll with no egg wash' has such a lush twang to it innit :cool:

Too non-specific. Given it’s element of Quorn, there must be a better name which might help distinguish it from future vegan products.

“Fungal flip” springs to mind, but it’s not the right shape.
“Mycoprotein macaron” might be one for the future, but still wrong.

Any ideas?

I'm sorry mate but if you went round the hipster markets of London spouting such lies these days you'd end up in a banger ;)

I'm unlikely to, so think I'm pretty safe. But we are talking about Greggs here :)

So by your reckoning they should clearly be called 'willy rolls' without a case ;)

Not a name I'd think would work but...
LN_804312_BP_11.jpg
:D

Too non-specific. Given it’s element of Quorn, there must be a better name which might help distinguish it from future vegan products.

“Fungal flip” springs to mind, but it’s not the right shape.
“Mycoprotein macaron” might be one for the future, but still wrong.

Any ideas?
Yep right on the money.

The 'Greener Weiner' or the 'Shat-worse Bratwurst' kinda thing.

Back
Top Bottom