Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

So who's tried a Greggs vegan sausage roll/steak bake?

So...the butterfly brought the kale?
No the Italian guy who ran away from Mussolini and ended up sweet talking all the women in my grandfathers village in Scotland circa 1943.

Apparently his last words were "Mary be honest with me lass, did you leave me for his ice cream or his abundantly productive cabbage?"

The poor fucker died without and answer.

She was too embarrassed to tell him I guess but she popped her mortal coil with all her teeth and a reputation for leaving a bad smell in the room during bridge club. :hmm:

...Apparently his last words were "Mary be honest with me lass, did you leave me for his ice cream or his abundantly productive cabbage?"

The poor fucker died without and answer....
Well he should have checked her for knives.

I saw on twitter that the vegan ones are more expensive. That's verging into health shop territory.

Why do vegans even want sausage rolls? It's cultural appropriation.

They're alright. But are no where near as good as a proper meat one. I wouldn't get one again.

But I guess that's the problem. The best vegggy sausage in the world is still shitter than an average meat one.

If you care about animals being killed then I can see why it might be for you. But as a taste comparison, it doesn't really do it for me

...If you care about animals being killed then I can see why it might be for you...
No! You wouldn't call it a sausage roll! It's the exact opposite of a sausage roll! It's not sausage...it's veggage!

Why would you name something the same as something you rejected?

They're alright. But are no where near as good as a proper meat one. I wouldn't get one again.

But I guess that's the problem. The best vegggy sausage in the world is still shitter than an average meat one.

If you care about animals being killed then I can see why it might be for you. But as a taste comparison, it doesn't really do it for me
Are they dearer?

I've had very few good sausage rolls tbh . Most supermarket and bakery ones are disappointing imo just sludge with poor pastry. I'd try one of these but I think there are far better veggie options and I can't see the point of trying to imitate meat.

I've had very few good sausage rolls tbh . Most supermarket and bakery ones are disappointing imo just sludge with poor pastry. I'd try one of these but I think there are far better veggie options and I can't see the point of trying to imitate meat.
At Gloucester M5 services (which is like a very m/c services with grass on the roof and wooden benches and no BK), there are the BEST sausage rolls known to mankind. I urge you all to make the journey.

No! You wouldn't call it a sausage roll! It's the exact opposite of a sausage roll! It's not sausage...it's veggage!

It's not a 'sausage roll'... it's a 'vegan sausage roll', a fish finger isn't a finger, a beef medallion isn't a medallion, toad in the hole doesn't contain amphibians. WTF does it matter what it is called?

Both are cylindrical shapes of protien and herbs, wrapped in pastry and baked in the oven... hardly polar opposites

At Gloucester M5 services (which is like a very m/c services with grass on the roof and wooden benches and no BK), there are the BEST sausage rolls known to mankind. I urge you all to make the journey.
I urge you to shrink wrap some and send them over .

I urge you to shrink wrap some and send them over .
Not sure they’d travel well mate. They are WHOPPERS tho, sausage meat huge and juicy and the pastry is the best. The entire outside of the services is covered in flaky pastry crumbs. My dog loves it :D

Eta: about 2” high!

The best sausage rolls are home made ones.

Just a pack of sausage meat and a prerolled puff pastry sheet.

It's that simple. And well worth the effort.

Mash some stilton in to the meat for extra exciting heart attack fodder.

The same company run tebay services in the lakes, and sell the same (glorious) sausage rolls there.

Not sure they’d travel well mate. They are WHOPPERS tho, sausage meat huge and juicy and the pastry is the best. The entire outside of the services is covered in flaky pastry crumbs. My dog loves it :D

Eta: about 2” high!

I was only joking . They do a pao com choriso here which is a sausage roll but with choriso instead of sausage meet which isn't too bad tbh . Having said that Portugal isn't a vegan or vegetarian friendly country outside of Lisbon and Porto. There's a friend of mine coming here in Spring she doesn't eat meat or fish so I asked my Portuguese friends about restaurants that serve vegan or veg dishes and they just looked puzzled and asked why.

some highly processed vegan products are dearer

Most processed veggie and vegan products are more expensive than meat ones - it's about markets and making money, little to do with the cost of manufacture. I remember years ago looking at the ingredients of some cheap hotdog sausage, something like 95% soya and 5% meat of animal origin. They cost a few pence each. Some veggie hotdogs, 100% soya worked out about 20 times the price

Any idea why this is ? I thought part of the attraction of vegan food was its sustainability . Low income families aren't going to be able to afford more .
Doesn't quorn have some weird manufacturing process?

Where as a pig is pretty low maintenance... They just live out side eating anything, then you blend them up.

And maybe a different pastry? Maybe.

And then they need to build in a cost for all the extra stuff they need as not to cross contaminate.

Back
Top Bottom