Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

So who's tried a Greggs vegan sausage roll/steak bake?

carrots have got fuck all calories - which you need to live. a diet of just carrots would see you slowly starve to death. a diet of just sausage rolls would keep you alive.
the high risk of heart attack/obesity would come after several years if you eat too many and did little physical exercise - cos youd be consuming more calories then you are actually using.
a diet of just carrots would not provide you with enough calories period - you would be very ill within a few months.

never seemed to do him any harm

220px-Bugs_Bunny.svg.png

Avoiding paying tax to serve it a bit warm then.

You can quote posts you know ;)
I dunno, VAT rules are insane - there's no way a pastie kept warm should cost 20% more than a pastie that's allowed to go cold: the market Greggs is competing in is feircely competitive though, so it's a no-brainer that they (and all the other pasty shops) take this opportunity to cut their margins. I don't think it bares any comparison with the labyrinthine tax avoidance schemes Starbucks undertake.

That said, there are some worthwhile comparisons between the Starbucks and Greggs business models, illustrated nicely by this Viz strip I was reminded of the other day...

DwAOvjaWkAAXJPI.jpg:large

I dunno, VAT rules are insane - there's no way a pastie kept warm should cost 20% more than a pastie that's allowed to go cold: the market Greggs is competing in is feircely competitive though, so it's a no-brainer that they (and all the other pasty shops) take this opportunity to cut their margins. I don't think it bares any comparison with the labyrinthine tax avoidance schemes Starbucks undertake.

That said, there are some worthwhile comparisons between the Starbucks and Greggs business models, illustrated nicely by this Viz strip I was reminded of the other day...

DwAOvjaWkAAXJPI.jpg:large
I was kinda joking there KB but then how do Tesco and the Co-Op get away with it? You can rock up in the ones near me and pick up a reduced priced pasty, sausage roll, bacon srnie at about 3pm for 49p and it's still in a heated rack.

It is a bit piss poor when you grab something from a high-street bakers and open the bag half way down the street only to realise it's barely heated though.

I was kinda joking there KB but then how do Tesco and the Co-Op get away with it? You can rock up in the ones near me and pick up a reduced priced pasty, sausage roll, bacon srnie at about 3pm for 49p and it's still in a heated rack.

It is a bit piss poor when you grab something from a high-street bakers and open the bag half way down the street only to realise it's barely heated though.
No vegan option there

They'll pay VAT on them if they're in a hot cabinet - if they're marked down they're essentially bin-bound anyway, so 49p (or 40p + 9p VAT) is still ahead.

I had one today. I'd actually gone in to get a vegetable and cheese & onion bake as I didn't think they'd have them as they are not on the list of branches that sell them.
Unsurprising, I thought the filling tastes the same as the filling in quorn's normal sausage rolls. There was more of it though, and it looked pinker. The pastry was loads better than the quorn ones though. The ones I bought were not as anaemic looking as the pics I've seen (although not the same colour as their normal pastry). Tasted loads better though and didn't just flake all over the place as soon as you bite it.
I thought they were pretty good overall. My daughter took a bite, pulled a face and said it tasted like quorn (she doesn't like quorn sausages - I didn't actually think about that) I told her it was, so she gave me hers and sent me back in for a cheese and onion :D I took a bite of that and in comparison and it was really greasy

The vegan ones are flaky enough. They definitely pass The Flake Test (ie they leave a load of shit on your desk/knees/the floor when you eat them)

What would happen to all the cows if we didn't drink the milk, eat the flesh , use the leather etc ?

In some more rural parts of Hong Kong, when farmers left their farms to move to the city they just abandoned their cows and water buffalo - decades later, their descendants are doing fine and in some places it's not unusual to see small herds wandering around. In Mui Wo, they like to sleep on the beach...

cowsmuiwo.png

In some more rural parts of Hong Kong, when farmers left their farms to move to the city they just abandoned their cows and water buffalo - decades later, their descendants are doing fine and in some places it's not unusual to see small herds wandering around. In Mui Wo, they like to sleep on the beach...

View attachment 158015

Similar story on abandoned Scottish islands. After a few generations the population size stabilises and the coobeasties live happily ever after.

Similar story on abandoned Scottish islands. After a few generations the population size stabilises and the coobeasties live happily ever after.
Heartwarming story but I'm not sure an analogy between abandoned Scottish Islands and a heavily populated country is that apt tbh.

View attachment 158015
I can just imagine the same scenario at Blackpool, Brighton, Scarborough, St. Ives etc

Went in to Greggs in Shepherds Bush and they were sold out. Even the staff saying all people have been doing is asking for them all day and they should’ve sent more :D

Went in to Greggs in Shepherds Bush and they were sold out. Even the staff saying all people have been doing is asking for them all day and they should’ve sent more :D

I think there could be a great yet largely untapped market for this kind of vegan food, in some locations at least. Screw the tofu and rabbit food, the vegan public demands mycoprotein-based savoury pastries!

Back
Top Bottom