Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

So who's tried a Greggs vegan sausage roll/steak bake?

A decent first effort, but they really need to bring more definition to the flavour than salt alone can provide. I mean, this stuff is made from mycoprotein, it can't be that hard to give it a nice kind of mushroomy flavour to make it stand out.

Quorn doesn't taste like mushrooms, and is not made from mushrooms per se. They've pretty much nailed making it taste like chicken, quorn nuggets are indistinguishable from the 'real' thing, but it's not great at replicating other meats. The quorn sausages you get from the supermarket are OK, but aren't a convincing substitute tbh.

Tbh though I hated sausage rolls even when I still ate meat. It's the greyness, and the distinctively wrong aftertaste of the 'meat'. So while a nice, cheap and filling pastry-encased vegetarian snack from a ubiquitous retailer does appeal, I don't actually want it to taste like a sausage roll.

Quorn doesn't taste like mushrooms, and is not made from mushrooms per se. They've pretty much nailed making it taste like chicken, quorn nuggets are indistinguishable from the 'real' thing, but it's not great at replicating other meats. The quorn sausages you get from the supermarket are OK, but aren't a convincing substitute tbh.

Tbh though I hated sausage rolls even when I still ate meat. It's the greyness, and the distinctively wrong aftertaste of the 'meat'. So while a nice, cheap and filling pastry-encased vegetarian snack from a ubiquitous retailer does appeal, I don't actually want it to taste like a sausage roll.

An easy improvement would be adding less salt. I'm glad I had a beer handy for that one.

I just had one. Was pretty good. Timed it well cos they were just pulling a tray out of the oven as I arrived. Very herby but much less greasy than the normal sausage one (which is my dirty hangover snack of choice when I have the chance). Would have again. Looked up the nutritional content last night and the vegan version has about 20 calories less than a meat version, but considerably less salt :thumbs:

Nah, completely different genus.

It’s closer to that fungus that leads to manky brown, thickened toenails.
PossibleSevereFoal-small.gif

I just had one. Was pretty good. Timed it well cos they were just pulling a tray out of the oven as I arrived.

This is why I don't normally bother with Greggs. The cheese and onion pasties are lovely when they're still warm but you often have to stand in a queue for ages just to see if they've got any, never mind any fresh from the oven.

This is why I don't normally bother with Greggs. The cheese and onion pasties are lovely when they're still warm but you often have to stand in a queue for ages just to see if they've got any, never mind any fresh from the oven.
I once asked an assistant in Greggs to warm up a pastie but they said they couldn't do it because of health and safety. Not theirs but mine apparantly.

Like humans - we're part of the animal kingdom and an apex predator.

So then to be a vegan civilisation we would husband bovines but not slaughter them on an industrial scale. Instead as apex predators we would kill them on a more ‘retail’ basis? How about someone killing them with a sword after the beast has been sofetened up by people with lances? The person with a sword would need some kind of cape to distract the animal too. And if you were going to all that trouble it would be a pity if no one saw so you could do it in front of a crowd in a special arena or ring.

Sounds great entertainment and vegan sanctioned too...

I once asked an assistant in Greggs to warm up a pastie but they said they couldn't do it because of health and safety. Not theirs but mine apparantly.
They can't do it because they'd have to pay VAT on it - VAT is chargeable on hot food, but as pasties are taken from the oven then left to cool, they're classed as cold food (VAT isn't charged on this). If they were kept warm or heated, they'd be classed as hot food.

They can't do it because they'd have to pay VAT on it - VAT is chargeable on hot food, but as pasties are taken from the oven then left to cool, they're classed as cold food (VAT isn't charged on this). If they were kept warm or heated, they'd be classed as hot food.
Worse than Hitler Starbucks then?

Back
Top Bottom