Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Should you put your leftovers in the fridge before or after they have cooled down?

Got your epitaph ready

Pretty sure it won't the cold rice I ate last week. But I'm glad you're prepared :hmm:

Dying from food poisoning holds no fear for me. It's the projectile vomiting & explosive diarrhoea associated with not dying that's more of a concern.

It's pretty hard to get food poisoning from fish sticks and strawberry milk, I would have thought ;)

I agree entirely, it's the pragmatic acceptance of risk.

It's only when people make the assumption that because nothing bad has happened before, that must mean nothing bad will happen in the future, that there's a problem.

I know full well that prompt refrigeration is the optimum strategy for minimising the rate of bacterial growth, yet despite this I frequently leave stuff out before sticking it in the fridge - it's my life, my fridge, I'll do whatever the hell I want. :thumbs:
You are absolutely right of course but I do think a lot of people blow these risks out of all proportion and have lost all connection with food to the extent that they can't trust their senses any more.

You are absolutely right of course but I do think a lot of people blow these risks out of all proportion and have lost all connection with food to the extent that they can't trust their senses any more.
I wasn't aware that human senses could detect the presence of bacteria and other pathogens

I wasn't aware that human senses could detect the presence of bacteria and other pathogens
Well no they can't - im not expressing myself very well. I just think that people take in all sorts of information about food without thinking. Like the fact that it's possible to get quite nasty food poisoning from reheating cooked rice so rice becomes an extemely dangerous commodity. Which it just isn't.

i have to say OU, you do these fake fight threads better than anyone...its taken me a long time to come to appreciate it, but now that i do...
giphy.gif

All of the stuff you are quoting, OU, is to do with commercial kitchens which is a very different proposition to your home. In a commercial kitchen the hygiene standards need to be a hell of a lot higher than they do in your kitchen at home. It doesn't mean that the science is in any way different but the environment is different.

Home environments are more dangerous as cleaning doesn't tend to be as rigourous so you need to be especially careful.
I prefer to be cautious than risk a nasty illness. I had salmonella when I was 16 and it's not pleasant at all.

Home environments are more dangerous as cleaning doesn't tend to be as rigourous so you need to be especially careful.
I prefer to be cautious than risk a nasty illness. I had salmonella when I was 16 and it's not pleasant at all.
Yes but you are not feeding the general public and you are not cooking food in quantity. I imagine a massive pot of seafood chowder left to it's own devices has a lot more potential for developing harmful bacteria than a small pot does as it will take a hell of a lot longer to cool down.

But at the end of the day - im not here to convince you of anything. These potential risks just don't bother me as much as they do you. I'm now living somewhere were there are so many fucking fles that it's not possible to keep them off your food and even that doesn't bother me now. I do cover things up but eating outside inevitably leads to flies on your food all the bloody time and the kitchen is always full of them all over the work surfaces and your chopping boards. The people of New Zealand seem to be healthy despite this.

But at the end of the day - im not here to convince you of anything. These potential risks just don't bother me as much as they do you. I'm now living somewhere were there are so many fucking fles that it's not possible to keep them off your food and even that doesn't bother me now. I do cover things up but eating outside inevitably leads to flies on your food all the bloody time and the kitchen is always full of them all over the work surfaces and your chopping boards. The people of New Zealand seem to be healthy despite this.

Yeah my other half gets very het up about flies on food but if you've ever spent time in a hot climate it's just a fact of life

If you're expecting to kill the bacteria by reheating food in a microwave, you might as well just give them a stern talking to instead, it'd be just as effective.

Well maybe no more likely than warm food in the fridge is environmently sterile . I mean cheese manages to grow mould in the fridge.

Bread isn't in the fridge. How come that's not covered with deadly bacteria.

Actually don't answer that, I don't really care.

Bread isn't in the fridge. How come that's not covered with deadly bacteria.

Actually don't answer that, I don't really care.

Bread goes stale quicker in the fridge than at room temp, but lasts longer in the freezer

I'm now living somewhere were there are so many fucking fles that it's not possible to keep them off your food and even that doesn't bother me now. I do cover things up but eating outside inevitably leads to flies on your food all the bloody time and the kitchen is always full of them all over the work surfaces and your chopping boards. The people of New Zealand seem to be healthy despite this.
As it happens I've just finished a book on nasty zoonotic diseases and how they spillover into humans, including insects as disease vectors. Plenty of dangerous pathogens about just waiting to pounce. :hmm:

All of the stuff you are quoting, OU, is to do with commercial kitchens which is a very different proposition to your home. In a commercial kitchen the hygiene standards need to be a hell of a lot higher than they do in your kitchen at home. It doesn't mean that the science is in any way different but the environment is different.
That is all true, and really highlights a key issue here: In a commercial environment people are legally obliged to have the correct knowledge and apply it judiciously.

In a home environment, you can do what you want! Even if it's the wrong the thing to do...

This thread is classic urban - a mixture of old wives tales, pseudoscience & people getting mardy because their preconceptions are challenged.

I shall summarise the situation in a convenient bullet point format:
  • Science says prompt refrigeration is best.
  • You probably won't die from ignoring the science.
  • You will have an increased risk of falling ill by ignoring the science.
  • Do what you want, it's your fridge, your life, etc.

But most of all, beyond any argument in this universe or the next:

• People who put bread in the fridge should be shot. Twice. With a nuke.

:cool:

Back
Top Bottom