Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Should you put your leftovers in the fridge before or after they have cooled down?

So you admit its the wrong thing to do?
PFalkColumbo.jpg
Yes, that's precisely what I said.

I was making the point that people seem to be trying to explain their imprudent actions by justifying them as if they're actually the correct actions, when they're not. But it's their home, their food, their life, their freedom to do as they please.

So statements such as:

"I let food cool down first then put it in the fridge because that reduces bacterial growth"

Are bullshit.

Whereas statements such as:

"I let food cool down first then put it in the fridge because I don't like all the condensation in my fridge"

Are absolutely fine. They're taking more of a risk, but that's their prerogative.

I do that all the time, I know it's not the most sensible course of action, and I'm totally fine with that.

What I would never do though, is attempt to justify my actions by making up false scientific claims.

...just for clarity...I am absolutey not arguing with the scientific facts about food hygiene. I just think people seriously over'estimate the risks and get way too hung up on it all.
Yes, exactly! Nail, head.

So with relation to the OP, the answer is yes - you should put leftovers in the fridge before they cool down.

You don't have to. No one's going to arrest you if you don't. Your increased risk may be marginal. And ultimately, we're all grown ups, do what you want! :cool:

...just for clarity...I am absolutey not arguing with the scientific facts about food hygiene. I just think people seriously over'estimate the risks and get way too hung up on it all.
always best to err on the side of caution though, esp when it's no extra effort to do so.
i have forgotten to put things straight in the fridge and left them out over night before and eaten them with no ill effects plenty of times before. I'd just rather be careful when I remember to be.

Yes, that's precisely what I said.

I was making the point that people seem to be trying to explain their imprudent actions by justifying them as if they're actually the correct actions, when they're not. But it's their home, their food, their life, their freedom to do as they please.

So statements such as:

"I let food cool down first then put it in the fridge because that reduces bacterial growth"

Are bullshit.

Whereas statements such as:

"I let food cool down first then put it in the fridge because I don't like all the condensation in my fridge"

Are absolutely fine. They're taking more of a risk, but that's their prerogative.

I do that all the time, I know it's not the most sensible course of action, and I'm totally fine with that.

What I would never do though, is attempt to justify my actions by making up false scientific claims.
no my science was solid, is solid, you just have to think outside the (tupperware) box

Rice often forms part of a takeaway meal and often is left over. If it's arrived to you as a a takeaway you don't know how many times it's already been cooled and reheated following cooking, and how much time it's already spent sitting at bacteria-friendly temperatures. So it would make sense to be more cautious about takeaway leftovers than something you've cooked yourself. Whether it's rice or something else.

Seriously...the tomato thing really is true. Try leaving your toms in the fruit bowl instead and marvel at the difference.
Given normal retail tomatoes are chilled throughout the distribution chain, and extra bit of time in the fridge at home will make no difference. Neither will leaving them outside the fridge.

Seriously...the tomato thing really is true. Try leaving your toms in the fruit bowl instead and marvel at the difference.
Tomatoes (and other soft fruit) keep better in the fridge but taste better eaten at room temperature.

Solution: store in the fridge and take them out a little while before eating to get the best of both worlds.

i reheated some of yesterdays couscous today just by pouring a tiny bit of hot water on it and stirring it around. It wasn't in the fridge. Will i die? (do feel a bit queasy but googling reheating couscous might have made me worse).

Back
Top Bottom