Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Should parents be able to post up pictures of their kids without permission?

No, but it's not anyone else's decision what I choose to share

Yes it is. It’s is for all of us. Laws already govern what we can and can’t share about other people. There’s a debate whether we should extend the laws and sesnsibilties around sharing photos of children.

This thread reminded me of a thread on here from a little while after I joined about what rights people have when they're being photographed in public. Basically, none, unless their image is being used to advertise something or is used in a way to defame them.

Alright, so what is to be done? Rather than just bring out the oh noes, tell me how I should conduct myself with regard to my children

This thread reminded me of a thread on here from a little while after I joined about what rights people have when they're being photographed in public. Basically, none, unless their image is being used to advertise something or is used in a way to defame them.

The anology doesn’t follow, unless all photos of children are taken in public (quite obviously not) and we didn’t afford extra legal protections around the sharing of children’s information (which, at least on paper, we do)

Alright, so what is to be done? Rather than just bring out the oh noes, tell me how I should conduct myself with regard to my children

Play football with them in the park. My happiest memories from young childhood are playing football with my dad

Quite. So we’d expect parents to think about what they’re sharing of ‘their’ children, who they’re sharing it with, whether the child is happy with it being shared and so on
Yeah. But I think it has to be up to the parent to be not-stupid about it, not introduce laws to say "not until the kid is old enough to give a considered permission" because that would be ridiculous.

I've never posted any pictures of my son online and I'm going to sound sanctimonious about it but I don't give a shit :p
Initially, I kept his picture offline because I was concerned about his privacy (and children do deserve privacy) but now I'm really glad I did this because he will not be on any facial recognition databases, no one can trace him through an image search or edit pictures of him for lols or trolls.
He's 16 now and he does appreciate that I've respected his right to choose on the matter.

One way I have shared photos of my son is by direct message on fb with a relative. I am pretty sure this is as private as an email would have been, so I think it is ok.

What about if you take down pictures several years after you have posted them on Facebook. To what extent are they still out there?

What about if you take down pictures several years after you have posted them on Facebook. To what extent are they still out there?
The thing about facebook is that if you have public settings you have no idea who may have been looking at them, and could have made copies if they were that way inclined.

Someone I know has an account, never posts, but often slyly checks up on people browsing their content to keep up to date with what they are doing. Bit sneaky, but fb is like that.

Personally I only use FB as a microblogging tool. Don’t share family stuff, personal details and so on. Can’t be arsed to set up a blog so use FB/Twitter instead

Someone you know eh? :hmm:

:) Honest !!

Someone else I know has their account on lockdown except for when they emerged to send me a couple of messages (my profile is public) following which they deleted me and reversed back into their total privacy and total invisibility. Odd behaviour I think.

The thing about facebook is that if you have public settings you have no idea who may have been looking at them, and could have made copies if they were that way inclined.

Someone I know has an account, never posts, but often slyly checks up on people browsing their content to keep up to date with what they are doing. Bit sneaky, but fb is like that.
Slyly has a look at what people they're friends with are posting for their friends to see so they can stay up to date with what they're doing, eh? The sly bastard.

Slyly has a look at what people they're friends with are posting for their friends to see so they can stay up to date with what they're doing, eh? The sly bastard.
I don't think these people would mind that they are being watched, I just find it a bit strange not to say hi at the same time.

I have always been wary of having photos of me online and I don’t like it when other people put them up. I think it’s extremely rude just to assume that it’s okay to do this. I don’t see what difference it makes to this the fact that I am an adult rather than a child. If anything, children have more right to expect privacy, not less.

:) Honest !!

Someone else I know has their account on lockdown except for when they emerged to send me a couple of messages (my profile is public) following which they deleted me and reversed back into their total privacy and total invisibility. Odd behaviour I think.

I mean if we’re honest who hasn’t got a burner account on social media?

Mate the sheer quantity of my medical/care info (and the sensitivity of it, the actual impact this has on decisions made about my life, and the endless breaches of confidentiality of that info) has made me feel a bit meh when it comes to the ‘risks’ of social media (and I say this as someone who has been repeatedly and maliciously doxxed, who has been the subject of stalking by a Cult, and has had er quite a lot of not entirely pleasant things said about me publicly).

Unless it can actually prevent you from living the life you want to live, what does it matter if people know/talk about you?

Back
Top Bottom