Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Banksy could be forced to reveal his indentity

Maybe, but it's done at the expense of 'art collectors' who habitually spooge enough money to feed and clothe three families for a year on something whose only purpose is to make their equally dreadful friends momentarily envious. So I don't give a shit. In the words of the Pixies, gouge away.

That’s how one feels about almost all private civil actions, though. Unpleasant rich people fighting over money, to the general amusement of spectators.

It would be nice if that wasn’t how the justice industry worked, of course.

So...here's an obvious knock off of Monkey Queen. There are shitloads of them for sale... "signed" by Banksy bla bla bla.
This one is on etsy. Along with many many more.

Screenshot_20240310_092017_Etsy.jpg

Its not as simple as it sounds authenticating an original print when there are millions of fakes floating around.

Maybe, but it's done at the expense of 'art collectors' who habitually spooge enough money to feed and clothe three families for a year on something whose only purpose is to make their equally dreadful friends momentarily envious. So I don't give a shit. In the words of the Pixies, gouge away.

Here we agree. However, they are creating that market and profiting from it just as surely as the tossers who buy the overpriced crap. Collapse the market, put these charlatans out of business, then laugh at all the bellends who paid 2 million quid for a poster that's worth a fiver.

So...here's an obvious knock off of Monkey Queen. There are shitloads of them for sale... "signed" by Banksy bla bla bla.
This one is on etsy. Along with many many more.

View attachment 415372

Its not as simple as it sounds authenticating an original print when there are millions of fakes floating around.

For a professional art authenticator, with access to the original artist, it'd probably be a piece of piss.

For a professional art authenticator, with access to the original artist, it'd probably be a piece of piss.
You seem to be under the impression that Banksy actually did the printing of each print and would know. The printing will have been done by a company working for him. He will have chosen the paper quality, weight etc..and there will have been a few trial runs with colour tests.

Again... its not an original painting.
So Banksy will not actually have a clue. His printer might have records and sanples of the actual inks used on the day..they would have to match these to the inks used in the print that's being examined. That would be matching chemicals...and ratios of colour...and requires actual chemists. So..they would need an original print from the 150 run or samples of the exact inks used on the day. Probably even need to compare the machine / printer marks.

If he just ran the prints on a basic colour swatch and common paper then its going to be difficult declaring the print as an original. Because there are so many reproductions out there. Some are probably really spot on.

You seem to be under the impression that Banksy actually did the printing of each print and would know. The printing will have been done by a company working for him. He will have chosen the paper quality, weight etc..and there will have been a few trial runs with colour tests.

Again... its not an original painting.
So Banksy will not actually have a clue. His printer might have records and sanples of the actual inks used on the day..they would have to match these to the inks used in the print that's being examined. That would be matching chemicals...and ratios of colour...and requires actual chemists. So..they would need an original print from the 150 run or samples of the exact inks used on the day. Probably even need to compare the machine / printer marks.

If he just ran the prints on a basic colour swatch and common paper then its going to be difficult declaring the print as an original. Because there are so many reproductions out there. Some are probably really spot on.

Cobblers!

They're not even saying what you're claiming; that they're having issues identifying it. They're just staying quiet and creating confusion. And they have form for doing this!

3 years, my arse.

Cobblers!

They're not even saying what you're claiming; that they're having issues identifying it. They're just staying quiet and creating confusion. And they have form for doing this!

3 years, my arse.
OP states there was no certificate. So its going to be difficult to prove.
So yes...that's a big problem.

An original Banksy limited edition run of 150 prints .... one of those would make £1 million on the market. So yeah...someone racking up with a print minus its certificate??? They'll have to spend time on that.
Its a really popular one too..with loads of prints made by everyone and anyone from it.

OP states there was no certificate. So its going to be difficult to prove.
So yes...that's a big problem.

Then tell them that they can’t authenticate it and collapse the market for uncertified Banksy prints. Either you’re capable of providing the service that you’re advertising, or you’re not. The fact that they’re on record as only certifying works whose owners they approve of, makes the whole racket a total joke.

Then tell them that they can’t authenticate it and collapse the market for uncertified Banksy prints. Either you’re capable of providing the service that you’re advertising, or you’re not. The fact that they’re on record as only certifying works whose owners they approve of, makes the whole racket a total joke.

I don't really care. I suspect you don't either. I'll never buy a Banksy. I could make my own if I really wanted to.

But..... the process of identifying a screen print as authentic to Banksy is not as easy as just Banksy looking at it.
It takes sampling of the materials without causing damage.

The delay ... imo...shows they've not reached a decision.

It’s like when my grandad died and we found he had a Picasso and a Stradivarius in the loft.

Trouble is Stradivarius couldn’t draw and Picasso was shit at making violins….

(T cooper c 1969)

This is classic banksy behaviour, Someone I know, Linky, who buys and sells a lot of art, has had beef with him, ever since he refused to authenticate a piece, years ago. Linky is a really nice bloke as long as you don’t get on the wrong side of him. He’s never let it lie. Who Robs A Banksy? - Listen on Best Podcasts UK
sounds like an excellent podcast

when I clicked the link it came up with an interesting training opportunity - I don't know if that's a message for my internet searching or if it's related to Banksy's business model

(screen shot of episodes on the podcast with an advert for training to know 'an in-depth look at the link between trauma, attachment and narcisissm' and a white man shouting at a white woman who looks unhappy)
1710068706211.png

They just need to get Fiona Bruce on the case: job done.

But seriously, it would seem this collector just wants Pest Control to say “yes it’s a Banksy” whether it is or not. Given that there wasn’t paperwork with it, that it’s a print, and there are very many fakes (as well, frankly, as very many authentic prints), and a mountain of other work awaiting authentication, it probably isn’t as straightforward as the collector imagines.

It’s not like Banksy can say “I remember doing that one”. It’s production line art. And fakers are very good at knowing what materials to use (which paper supplier, what exact paint, masking tape, quirks of assembly etc). And £100 is nothing in the art collector’s world.

Whatever one’s views on Banksy, this is a wealthy collector throwing a hissy fit because they haven’t got the outcome they wanted quickly enough.

Banksy is pretty shit, but I admire the way he's made fortunes from the art world. Even this little stunt, that'll cost him a hundred quid, will keep him relevant and bolster revenue from his mediocre artwork.

Frankly I find Damien Hirst a million times worse
I used to know a egotistical maniac who’d tell anyone who’d listen a possibly tall story about how he’d bought a spot painting off of Hirst, except it had been poorly packaged or summat and had arrived smashed into pieces. He called Hirst and shook the package vigorously down the phone so Hirst could hear the artwork clinking like scrabble tiles in a bag. Hirst laughed and sent another one that arrived the next day. Either the loudmouth was talking shit or Hirst was taking the piss. Either works for me.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom