Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Banksy could be forced to reveal his indentity

He is right about Bono though.

"“Anybody who knows Bono should go and pick him up by his ankles and shake him… until he stops being an enormous s***.” Roger Waters

I hadn’t been aware of that article. But much as Bono may irritate me, if the Bono quote provided is correct and complete, Waters is wrong. I can’t see where Bono is “sticking up for the Zionist entity,” unless you believe that any commemoration of those who were killed in the Hamas attack on a music festival is doing so.

And once again, Waters is confused about the difference between the Star of David, which predates the Israeli flag by many centuries at least, and the Israeli flag.

“singing about the Stars of David, was one of the most disgusting things I’ve ever seen in my life.” Really? Then you’ve led a sheltered life.

Yes, Bono is a rich, preachy, patronising, simplistic liberal, with probably nationalist tendencies. But Waters is a statist, Putanist, Assadist with a history of not knowing the difference between the Israeli state and Jewish people.

Frankly, they’re both idiots, but in this case, if Bono’s words are correct and complete, Waters is more so.

Banksy is perceived to be a genius artist who cunningly and bravely challenges the establishment with staggeringly imaginative acts of sedition that will surely bring the walls tumbling down, when all he’s really done is repeatedly make the same crass unsubtle broad political points that a 14 year old would be embarrassed to utter.
Good old Banksy with his wacky but wise and extremely profitable sideways look at life.
He’s taken everyone for a ride. Maybe it’s this that makes him a genius and he really has succeeded in ‘epater les bourgeoisie’ making him over a hundred years too late for Dadaism but more monetisable and far less interesting and challenging than the OG iconoclasts of the early 20th century.

I hadn’t been aware of that article. But much as Bono may irritate me, if the Bono quote provided is correct and complete, Waters is wrong. I can’t see where Bono is “sticking up for the Zionist entity,” unless you believe that any commemoration of those who were killed in the Hamas attack on a music festival is doing so.

And once again, Waters is confused about the difference between the Star of David, which predates the Israeli flag by many centuries at least, and the Israeli flag.

“singing about the Stars of David, was one of the most disgusting things I’ve ever seen in my life.” Really? Then you’ve led a sheltered life.

Yes, Bono is a rich, preachy, patronising, simplistic liberal, with probably nationalist tendencies. But Waters is a statist, Putanist, Assadist with a history of not knowing the difference between the Israeli state and Jewish people.

Frankly, they’re both idiots, but in this case, if Bono’s words are correct and complete, Waters is more so.
Well.. the context was a U2 concert on the 8th October. So it was just after the Hamas attack on the 7th.
Bono along with many famous individuals sympathised with the families of those killed and abducted.

But Bono is also an idiot and not just when it comes to the middle east. He doesn't reflect on the brutal history of the area. I mean come on..the guy was buddy buddy lick arsing Tony Blair and Cameron. I BET u2 never performed in Palestine.

20th Feb he came out with more stuff. Telling the crowd to shut up while he espoused Irelands delicate peace and told everyone that it was terrible that the "children of Abraham are fighting"...blaming religion. The guy is an asshole.

Back to Banksy
I do like that he visited Palestine and has painted images there over the years. He was very aware of the inequality and discrimination and apartheid .

Banksy is perceived to be a genius artist who cunningly and bravely challenges the establishment with staggeringly imaginative acts of sedition that will surely bring the walls tumbling down, when all he’s really done is repeatedly make the same crass unsubtle broad political points that a 14 year old would be embarrassed to utter.
Good old Banksy with his wacky but wise and extremely profitable sideways look at life.

I agree with all of this but at the same time like his work for what it is - without attaching proclamations of genius to it. There was a novelty to it at first that I enjoyed and I liked it when he went to that primary school that named a building after him and did a piece for them. He seems alright.

The hype - the noise - the money is silly but overall no real problem with him.

I agree with all of this but at the same time like his work for what it is - without attaching proclamations of genius to it. There was a novelty to it at first that I enjoyed and I liked it when he went to that primary school that named a building after him and did a piece for them. He seems alright.

The hype - the noise - the money is silly but overall no real problem with him.
I like Banksy. Who cares about the hype?

Was pleased when he did a piece in St Leonards. It's a good image and nice to stumble on it.

I think the art world is stupid and often obscene. But we can choose to ignore it and enjoy the works for what they are.

I like Banksy. Who cares about the hype?
I enjoyed his recent exhibition in Glasgow. It was witty, thought-provoking and occasionally laugh out loud funny. It was an enjoyable experience. And my daughter worked at it, so it gave her employment for a few months when she was between contracts at her chosen career, and she was mysteriously gifted (with other workers there) a small Banksy artwork, which she can authenticate due to the manner and location of the gifting. So all plusses, really.

I enjoyed his recent exhibition in Glasgow. It was witty, thought-provoking and occasionally laugh out loud funny. It was an enjoyable experience. And my daughter worked at it, so it gave her employment for a few months when she was between contracts at her chosen career, and she was mysteriously gifted (with other workers there) a small Banksy artwork, which she can authenticate due to the manner and location of the gifting. So all plusses, really.

He did a few on the East Coast a couple of years back. One quite near my house. The best thing though was when he buildt a model cottage with a tiny piece of graffiti on the side and dropped it off at the Merivale model village ( best model village in Great Yarmouth…)

They sold it which probably stopped them going bust. And it was replaced by a ‘replica’ , which was probably made by the same person or people and from the same materials as the original…

Good luck to him ( or her of course) . Makes me smile most of the time.

Fuck me lawyering is easy money isn't it?

• Did this person sign a contract of any sort?
  • No.
  • Well let's sue them for breach of contract anyway.
You missed 'let's add some standard arguments about implied contracts and when is a contract not a contract' for Megabucks.

It’s funny isn’t it when value added to art is about the artist and not the art.
Reminds me of the story when someone chimed that he had a Damien Hirst original and the colour drained from his face when hirst said, “my kids did that one.”

There’s a massive chasm between those who are an accepted currency of the super rich and those who earn next to fuck all for sometimes superior work.

A minor claim to fame of mine is that I used to work for his manager very early on in my career, so I've known who he is for a very long time now. I shan't discuss the ins and outs of it for his sake, but I can 100% confirm that he's not, and never has been, Robert Del Naja. In fact the idea is mildly offensive, confusing the person who helped introduce graf to the UK (Delj / 3D) with someone who came along much later.

The more interesting thing about him is just how many people know who he is and respect his secrecy. He was massively prolific and collaborative in his early days in Bristol, did major pieces at Glastonbury Festival for many years (and was still tagging there in at least 2010, if not later) and is still in touch with many people around that area. The funniest one was when the people who run Bristol Museum thought they'd kept an amazing secret by no-one leaking that he was going to do that big takeover show there, and then on opening night realised just how many attendees had known about the whole thing for a long time, just not said anything.

I never knew the Neil Buchanan thing before looking at the wikipedia article just now, but I now 100% believe he's Neil Buchanan. Either that or he's Elena Ferrante, but maybe Elena Ferrante is Neil Buchanan as well.

Back
Top Bottom