Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Shite beers

I had a bottle of Newcastle Brown last night, for old time's sake in honour of the dive pub I used to go to watch the football where it was the closest thing to proper beer on offer.

It's not very good as it turns out.
The second worst ever hangover of my life was after 10 bottles of Newcastle Brown. Just biblical in its intensity.

I've had reactions over the years to different beers and spirits and swore off them. The worst was after a session on Marston's Pedigree at a country pub outside of Derby which later turned out to be as a result of the poor housekeeping of the publican with cleaning the pipes and changing the barrels. Took me years to even want to try some again.

iu

Utter filth.

Easily the most disgusting beer I’ve ever drunk - tastes like someone dumped the contents of an ashtray into the barrel. Also the first beer I ever bought from an offie when I was about 13 - surprised it didn’t put me off drinking for life

99AF211A-2BCC-4A03-97DD-E57193A7E2FA.jpeg

I've clearly been triggered here, and realise it has already been addressed, but I am simply NOT having all of this Brains bashing. Especially as you're all doing it so hopelessly, pathetically bloody wrong. Every fool know it's brains DARK that has nourished the south east portion of the land of my farthers for centuries (or century). Hence the adage: aarf a daark down the Caardiff Aarms Paark. And lovely stuff it is, too. Now as you were, and no more of that.

Anyway, my vote goes for draught Guinness. Pointless stuff, flavourless - and takes up a pump that could hold a proper stout. ;)

I agree. Going to Dublin a year or two back now everyone said you will never have another pint so good as a pint of Guinness in Dublin.
I did have said pint and why I was told this I was never quite sure.

I agree. Going to Dublin a year or two back now everyone said you will never have another pint so good as a pint of Guinness in Dublin.

Yeah, it seems exactly the same as a pint of Guinness anywhere else.

african guinness is the thing around here. never tried it as i dont like the ghastly stuff. ireland fills me with dread when i go to a pub and its harp, bud or guinness on offer

One of our biggest exports, but also it's said that it doesn't travel well.

Mulligan's does a decent pint.

Not the case if the drinking took place prior to 2005 because the Park Royal (London) pint definitely did taste different to the Dublin pint. But nowadays it's all the same stuff (much to my sorrow as I enjoyed both styles and the contrast between them :( ).

There's a theory that the difference between London and Dublin Guinness since 2005 is now down to the fact that in Dublin/Ireland the Guinness is served more often so spends less time sitting in pipes and therefore "fresher". I would never order a pint of Guinness in a British pub if no one else was drinking Guinness. When I was working behind a Dublin bar in the late '80s the first job of the day was to pull off a pint from every tap. I don't know if they do that here?

Also thankfully the choice available in the vast majority of Irish pubs has hugely improved. I believe this is since Guinness' stranglehold on the supply chain was broken a while back. Harp was terrible shite.

I really don't like Kronenbourg and Budweiser.

To be honest, if I was to describe (from memory, obv.) the London-brewed Guinness I wouldn't say it lacked body or freshness. It was a lot stiffer, with a bit of a darker, more roast flavour, and a creamy lasting head. The Irish version by comparison was a bit more 'wet', leaning more towards porter (while still absolutely in proper stout territory).

I found I enjoyed about two pints of the old London version and would then usually move on to something else, whereas the Dublin version you can just pour endlessly into your mouth. That's not to say I prefer the Dublin, they just had different uses for me.

To be honest, if I was to describe (from memory, obv.) the London-brewed Guinness I wouldn't say it lacked body or freshness. It was a lot stiffer, with a bit of a darker, more roast flavour, and a creamy lasting head. The Irish version by comparison was a bit more 'wet', leaning more towards porter (while still absolutely in proper stout territory).

I found I enjoyed about two pints of the old London version and would then usually move on to something else, whereas the Dublin version you can just pour endlessly into your mouth. That's not to say I prefer the Dublin, they just had different uses for me.

Is it actually brewed in London, I was under the (probably wrong) impression that it was all brewed in Ireland.

All subjective, innit, but the ubiquity of cans of Red Stripe around certain scenes/venues winds me up a bit, it's always overpriced for such a muddy-tasting beer.

GUINNESS FACTS How Old? Arthur Guinness signed the lease for the St. James's Gate Brewery on 31st December 1759.

Ingredients GUINNESS stout is made from four natural ingredients: Water Barley – malted and roasted Hops Yeast
No artificial colourings or flavourings are added. Colour GUINNESS stout is ruby red in colour. It's the roasted barley that gives GUINNESS its colour.
GUINNESS is brewed in 49 countries worldwide and sold in over 150. Guinness owns 5 breweries in 5 countries around the world. These are in: Ireland (Dublin), Malaysia, and three in Africa - Nigeria, Ghana, and Cameroon. Where is GUINNESS sold? The most GUINNESS is sold in Great Britain, followed by Ireland, Nigeria, United States of America and Cameroon.
How much is sold? 10 million glasses of GUINNESS are enjoyed every day around the world.

All subjective, innit, but the ubiquity of cans of Red Stripe around certain scenes/venues winds me up a bit, it's always overpriced for such a muddy-tasting beer.

It's that authentic Jamaican taste you can only get from a product made by Heineken in Newcastle.

Same everywhere mind you. In Sardinia everyone drinks the 'local' beer, Ichnusa, which has a Sardinian flag on the label. It's just fucking Heineken.

Back
Top Bottom