Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Great beers

I’m not a huge fan of lots of hops. This is made half a mile from my house and I can drink it all day.

845228D6-158C-45AD-8B6A-E1116D927C36.jpeg

This will also make my day when it’s on draft, ironically not so keen on it in bottles.

FE285457-B110-4108-A43B-18954C975B6C.jpeg
Though pedestrian if it’s German I do like the southern tastes of:

78D4A386-D5B9-45E2-8808-CA0DA8FA53B3.png
Charles Wells used to make this one, not anymore, but you can still get it on draft occasionally.4BEF6EFF-1E91-47C0-95C2-DA2865727C9D.jpeg

yeah there's definitely a category of 'only on draught' beers. London Pride is like that for me. It's ok in a bottle, but not great. From a freshly opened barrel, it is creamy and delicious. But it goes off very quickly.

ETA: Timothy Taylor Landlord is the same.
Landlord is my go to pint in that there London. Never had it in a bottle but can well believe it wouldn’t be that good.

My 1st love was Young's Bitter, but since they closed their brewery in Wandsworth, & moved to Bedfordshire, it doesn't taste the same. I know that lots of old farts say that about the beers of their youth, but in the case of Young's, switching from the water in their artesian well, to piped water at the Wells Brewery HAS changed the finished product.
I'm currently enjoying Konigshof Pils from Krefeld; Guinness Extra from Dublin; Sainsbury's Dry Cider (cheap & thirst-quenching!), & Williams Bros' Grozet gooseberry ale.

On separate days, of course!
I had to work my way towards the Bitter. Pretty soon after commencing my pub drinking career, Special was my pint of choice (quite often a Ram and Special).

I grew to like the Bitter more when I realised I could drink 7 pints in a night and still show up for work in the morning.

Bitters:: Tim Taylor Landlord, Woodeforde's Wherry
Lagers: Namyslow (Polish Brewer) - about 6% comes in pint cans - really nice.
Stouts: There was a really nice one I had a few years back called Titanic that was brewed with plums.
Wheat beers: Erdinger/Franziskaner/Blue Moon

Vocation is one of my favourites. A lovely range of beer. Tesco sell some.

I live 5 mins walk from Vocation I always used to think their bar in Picadilly and the one in hebden looked a bit hipsterish and scary and be not that into more hoppy beers they're now one of my favourite bewers and their selection of other breweries at bars is also good.

Other favoutire beers are sam smiths especially their oatmeal stout & larger.

Bitters:: Tim Taylor Landlord, Woodeforde's Wherry
Lagers: Namyslow (Polish Brewer) - about 6% comes in pint cans - really nice.
Stouts: There was a really nice one I had a few years back called Titanic that was brewed with plums.
Wheat beers: Erdinger/Franziskaner/Blue Moon
The stout you may be thinking of is the Plum Porter from the Titanic Brewery. Had a couple of bottles on Saturday, very tasty.

No longer brewed. :(

Not to everyone's (many people's) tastes, but I love sour gueuze beers. Cantillon, Timmerman's, Boon. Not with fruity business, just plain.

I am very wary of recommending, though. Some people (most people) just think it's off.
I'm assuming these are some kind of lambic beers?

I must admit, I did find them something of an acquired taste, and it's not always what I want to drink, but a really nice "sour" beer is a very refreshing thing in particular circumstances.

O, my new summer favourite - Hammerton brewery Panama Creature. Has displaced Hopback Summer Lightening as my perfect 'day at the park' ale

eta, just noticed there are other Summer Lightning devotees.

I’m not a connoisseur but Red Stripe in bottles recently really hit my taste buttons despite one bottle left loafing near my seedlings delivering a mini slug into my mouth. I managed to gag and identify it wasn’t a loose booger and spit it out

my appreciation for red stripe bottles is however undaunted

the cans are absolute dogshit though

Stroud was really well served with Uley Brewery up the road and the town one reborn, both had some really fine beer, Uley UB-40 and Stroud's Budding. Our local used to regularly get Otter beers which are a Devon brewer I think and they had a fine session beer too.

Back
Top Bottom